About party members + dialog...

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
Kimi-San

About party members + dialog...

Post by Kimi-San »

I've never played a Suikoden game before. I am thinking about getting into it. I want to get Suikoden IV and I was just wondering something. Won't effect whether I buy the game or not but just something I want to know.

Is it sort of like Chrono Cross in the sense that, depending on which characters you have in your party at the time, the person who says the dialog changes? As in, will they say the dialog? Or are the extra characters you carry around with you pretty much mutes... and the main story characters are the only ones that do all the talking? Let's say I wanted to take Cedric and Rachel with me through most of the game. Will they still talk and be involved with the cutscenes/story even past the point where they are relevant?

Thanks in advance!

*edit* Also, is Nico a star/playable? JW.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: About party members + dialog...

Post by Oppenheimer »

Nico is a star but isn't playable.

There are a couple places in the game where your party members stand around and you can talk to them and they say things loosely based on their personality. The only instance I can remember off hand is the elven jail. But most of the time they're mutes and only a character you're forced to bring with you because of plot purposes will speak.

Suikoden IV is a bad Suikoden to start with as it's consider by far the worst in the series. I recommend starting with V for a good first impression. Or III if you can find it.
misterkatsuhito

Post by misterkatsuhito »

A word of advice. Although i am by no means a Suikoden expert. I suggest starting off with Suikoden 3. It is diffrent than 4 & 5 in the sense that there is a "Trinity Site". A trinity site is where you get to chose between three main characters. You will eventually play all three characters in the "Trinity Site". Anyway, you mentioned Suikoden 4. This is a rare game according to GameStop. In fact most places you'll find like Gamestop/EB, Best Buy, or what have you, do not have a copy of this game. However, i bought Suikoden 4 off of Amazon.com so if you're real ambitious there are some online stores that haves copies of Suikoden 4. It is rather expensive to buy it new on Amazon so i suggest ebaY. As for Suikoden 5, it's great, but to start off with, i suggest you work your way up. Enjoy playing.
-Mister Katsuhito
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

Well in suikoden 2 they did have optional recruitable characters talk when there was something happening, just like chrono cross. suikoden 4 doesn't have that too much, it's only happend to me two times, one time is when you beat up the two ninja's mizuki and akagi, i had the character mitsuba with me and she actually said something voice and everything, she said something like "What's your problem?!" then she said like two more sentences. then also the elven prison like oppenhiemer said.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Author

Post by Author »

I think it's best to start with IV because, while considered the worst among the series, it's still good. After IV, you can play Suikoden I but that's kind of impossible with how rare it is....and so, play Suikoden II, then Suikoden III, finally Suikoden V.

Personally, the best is Suikoden V for me. Most challenging and best story. I'm not sure if Suikoden V have those dialogs.

You should play the whole series in short.