[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden IV

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
sticky-runes

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden IV

Post by sticky-runes »

most of the good ones get more fleshed out in Tactics (we even see Kika break down and cry at one point) but yeah, next time you play Suikoden 4, don't think aw man, I can't use Fliktor or Lorelai or those slags from the circus gang just think well thank god I don't have to put up with Chaco or Clive's "skip through the main game to solve my side story" or Sierra's vampire BS.
Kibit1005

Post by Kibit1005 »

Storywise, Suikoden 2 cannot be compared to 4.. I also like this series but I will never agree that this is better than 2. The story is too short, characters are very easy to recruit.. Rune of punishment transferred itself to another host jn an instant, come to think of it.. Brandeau is a pirate, and yet he used the rune's power without thinking first that he and his minion just lost and that fleeing is a much better option. Pirates are wise, clever.. I believe the writer of Suikoden 4 just used the defeat of Brandeau so that RoP will find its new host.. But if you guys will ask me, this series is my second favorite after Suikoden 2. Viki is just deym cute. XD
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Kibit1005 wrote:Brandeau is a pirate, and yet he used the rune's power without thinking first that he and his minion just lost and that fleeing is a much better option.
They couldn't flee, they were surrounded by the knights. And as a pirate, I believe Brandeau would rather die at sea than let himself get captured and rot in a jail cell. He probably chose to go out in a blaze of glory.
Pen

Post by Pen »

To be honest, I believe the concept of the Rune of Punishment is brillhant.

It's a plot virus with 100% of mortality rate. I just wished we saw the Rune of Punishment taking more lives before it jump at the left hand of the protagonist, so the impact would be even bigger, like "Oh crap, the protagonist got "the virus", he is good as dead!" to give us a "death man walking" feeling.

Because I just believe is a bit of waste the protagonist using the Rune several times and never really come close to death. This really diminish a little the horror to have the Rune of Punishment on you. An enough horror to make a person wish to cut their arm off to get rid of it, for example.
ragnarok

Post by ragnarok »

i enjoyed the game
however it doesn't have the aura and feeling of suikoden 2. in suikoden 2 each recruit is a competent man/woman/beast that has useful and unique ability needed to win the war. in suikoden 4 the majority of recruits are thiefs and people who wants to get on that big awesome ship that's why i end up not bothering to recruit some sod . Suikoden has lost its way
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

That's weird. Most Suikoden players, recruit even the characters that they hate (if they are optional), in order to complete the SoD tablet. Don't you want to?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

ragnarok wrote:Suikoden has lost its way
Play Suikoden V. Trust me, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. It's not perfect, and it's not as good as 2 or 3, but it's more "Suikoden-y" than 4.
Dario_the_Great

Post by Dario_the_Great »

Honestly at least Tactics exists as a counterpoint to IV. I've played through IV a couple of times and I'm always thinking "I remember this character being more interesting" before I realise that it's because Tactics expanded upon the character. It all comes down to how rushed IV feels; that's not just a shot at the pacing but how incomplete the game feels. The pacing feels nice (outside of when you have to sail in the boat) but then it just flies through the game as soon as you pick up Elenor.
I wish the game had more stuffing about with pirates, that would have been a fun sidequest or arc.