Magic affinities?

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Well, I decided to take it upon myself to test what exactly each of the affinities meant as for damage.

I tried Kika and Hervey, both with Lightning...supposedly, level 4 and level 3 proficiency in lightning magic, respectively. Well, with a difference of 3 MAG, on the same enemy, they both did exactly the same amount of damage.

Could the guide be wrong, or is there just some other hidden factor? If further testing confirms this, it looks like we may have to make a whole new affinities chart. I wouldn't trust the Brady Games guide blindly in any respect.

2nd test.....Kika, Sigurd, and Hervey. Levels 4, 1, and 3 in lightning, respectively. Difference of <5 MAG of all of them. All hit in the same 5-6 point range of damage on the same enemies.

3rd test....Jeane and Viki using Lightning level 3 now.....there was definately a noticeable difference now. That's probably why I wasn't seeing it before....the percentage increase just gets lost in the magic defense and resistances. My theory is the magic damage works like this:

([(BASE VALUE OF SPELL + MAG LEVEL OF CASTER) x AFFINITY ] - MDEF OF TARGET) / RESISTANCE TO ELEMENT OF TARGET

Possible affinity values are 1.4 for lvl 4, 1.2 for lvl 3 (thats what it was in Suikoden II)

Resistance is listed in the Brady guide too. 20% for each element is common for most enemies.
MonsieurThang

Post by MonsieurThang »

I don't think that MAG is actually used in this game to determine damage. Using a Codebreaker for Infinite Item Usage, I gave the Hero 999 MAG and compared the damage to Ornan. Using Breath of Ice, Hero hit for ~150. O_O the only thing that MAG sees to affect is the Rune slot and amount of healing. With 999 MAG, Hero was healing for 11,987 with the 4th level spell of Rune of Punishment....damage was around 730.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hmmmm but then.. what would the point of Wizard Rune and MAG stat boosters be? temporary MAG boosts don't give your temporarily more spells.... i think there is a maximum, maybe like 255 to how it affects the mag dmg though??

you did dmg to Ornan--what round was it in the Reinhold challenge?
MonsieurThang

Post by MonsieurThang »

O_o I didnt DMG Ornan.....this is near the beginning when I recurited him. My hero had 999 MAG and Ornan had 117 (I usually give a 100pt boost to any new characters). They did within a 10pt damage range for Breath of Ice. I am seriously beginning to think that MAG has nothing to do the DMG, and if it does, its miniscule.
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

MonsieurThang wrote:O_o I didnt DMG Ornan.....this is near the beginning when I recurited him. My hero had 999 MAG and Ornan had 117 (I usually give a 100pt boost to any new characters). They did within a 10pt damage range for Breath of Ice. I am seriously beginning to think that MAG has nothing to do the DMG, and if it does, its miniscule.
Well, you used a Codebreaker. That in itself could be the reason. The code may have altered the game THAT much, or maybe passing 255 glitched the properties... I don't think it's possible to pass 255 without a code, so that maybe why it's messing up.

Try 255 next time.
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
MonsieurThang

Post by MonsieurThang »

You can pass 255 naturally using stat stones. What I should clarify is that the 999 MAG stat was from a crap load of MAG stones...using a cheat to alter the MAG stat is sometomes unreliable. In suikoden 3, you could pass the 255 limit....did it to Rody and he was doing 1200 with Breath of Ice and Sasarai doing 3800-4000 with Land of Eternity. If I am not mistaken, in suikoden 2, Viki was the only one who could pass the 255 limit, granted her upper limit was 270 XP.

What I will do is give two characters 200 MAG (or close to it) and test Earthquake.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what enemies are you targeting for these tests? it might be strong vs water, strong vs magic, or something.. no clue. i think it's best to try against the weakest possible enemies
MonsieurThang

Post by MonsieurThang »

O_O I thought everything had 20% resistances?! Well, I am going to do it on those Killer Rodents on Obel.
Viper

Post by Viper »

well just wanna ask about rune pieces. does magic affinity have anything to do with them? and what are their different uses? the same? also does adding more rune pieces add to the dmg?
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

He's right about one thing. I put wizard runes on Ted and the hero, and it made almost no difference. What's going on?
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well, do the temporary MAG boosts open up rune slots or add more maximum spells by any chance???

i recommend trying on Reinhold round 1.. maybe.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

MonsieurThang wrote:O_O I thought everything had 20% resistances?! Well, I am going to do it on those Killer Rodents on Obel.
Many enemies do have 20% resistance to everything, but it often varies. Those Killer Rodents have 20% to everything, for example, but then the Jelly Men have 35% to fire, 10 to lightning, and 30 to water (20 for everything else).

I haven't been able to play the game since reading your post about MAG levels (no time!), but I would be sure to not make any assumptions without seeing if its true on a completely non-hacked save....1 Codebreaker code on my Suikdoen III save and many things got messed up, even though the code worked. But apparently Ced has witnessed that too.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

if you fight you own members, they don't have resistance to anything i don't think..
deathmf

Post by deathmf »

I assume that all the people mean the BradyGames guide when they say "guide"
is there a Prima guide?
Alanna82
Elite Member

Post by Alanna82 »

I think the affinity guide is wrong.

Kate, Katarina, Pablo and Konrad all had about the same magic level.
All 4 did about 220- 230 fire damage against the ice birds with dancing flames. Maxine also did that much with 227 magic, and Lo Hak had 126 magic and also did around the same amount of damage

Hervey had 101 magic, he did about 160, same with the Hero, who had 154 magic.

there are affinites (as shown by Lo Hak doing the same amount of damage as the mages), but I think the brady games guide book is completely wrong about them.

Reading the post about Jeane and Viki above: When I tested the level 2 lightning spell against the kracken monster, they did about the same damage... odd...