Despite the bad reviews is this game worth playing?

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Despite the bad reviews is this game worth playing?

Post by Sasarai10 »

bluemask wrote: At least you won't be bugged by your unwavering desire and you'll get a taste of the very first attempt at Voice Acting of a Suikoden game (you'll love Chiepoo).

WHAT??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chiepoo in fact had one of the most annoying voices,and it's one of the most hated characters in S4 by fans :P
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

well 4 had the best voice acting out of all the Suikodens, so....
LarpWarrior

Post by LarpWarrior »

Well I got it and my first impression is that this game sucks bad. The voice acting is bad like the majority of video games imo so I turned it off. I read or heard somewhere that this game was originally intended for something else entirely that didn't pan out so Konami recycled the game engine into suikoden 4 and that's pretty much what it looks like to me; the graphics are a step back from suikoden 3 the characters look like creepy marionettes. First impression so far is that everything is a step back from 3 actually, towards the middle of suikoden 3 I really came to appreciate the battle system and had some really tough fights in that game that required a lot of strategy but the battles in s4 so far are typical standard 4 party Rpg fights. Oh and the battle animations are just awful compared to s3, your party in s3 looked badass and epic when they were casting spells and launching attacks but in s4 your party looks like it's prancing around like some ballerinas or mimes. I'm on the first mission where I'm delivering something to Middleport and I just turned it off after my 20th random battle and still no sigh of Middleport even though I'm going the right way and it's apparently "really close by". Was encountering random battles about every 4 seconds btw, sometimes my ship wasn't even moving just changing directions. I'm really hoping this game stops sucking so bad
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Stop grouching, take your time to get the hang of it, then just finish it for the sake of playing Suikoden Tactics.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Yes, playing IV immediately after III makes for rather jarring experience. It's what we ended up with thanks to the endless whining about the positive changes that III introduced via its battle system. Too bad the series never recovered its former glory.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

patapi wrote:Yes, playing IV immediately after III makes for rather jarring experience. It's what we ended up with thanks to the endless whining about the positive changes that III introduced via its battle system. Too bad the series never recovered its former glory.
IV killed the Suikoden franchise. Tactics and V tried to revive the series with no success. I say, we could blame the lack of Suikoden's games (the real one) to IV.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

veriaqa wrote:
patapi wrote:Yes, playing IV immediately after III makes for rather jarring experience. It's what we ended up with thanks to the endless whining about the positive changes that III introduced via its battle system. Too bad the series never recovered its former glory.
IV killed the Suikoden franchise. Tactics and V tried to revive the series with no success. I say, we could blame the lack of Suikoden's games (the real one) to IV.
Even though 3 came before 4 and didn't even get a universal release, and since 5 all they've done is release even more obscure games with the same name. :roll:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

veriaqa wrote:
How exactly tried Tactics to revive the series?
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

By being better than IV...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The series probably should have stopped at II then.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

veriaqa wrote:By being better than IV...
By being completely different in terms of gameplay? It sold not well, making a spin-off of an already not well selling franchise is by no means reviving anything.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

The only thing that could have saved suikoden was to refuse to follow the escalation of video game technology that happened around year 2000. THis is the moment when games were less about gameplay and more about having the fanciest polygones and voice acting (and by "fanciest" I mean "barely acceptable at the time and looking shittier than any sprite/midi noises fifteen years later").

Suikoden has always been niche. Konami should have embraced it and make it a niche stuff made with a lower technology to make it less expensive to produce and put the emphasis on the ONLY thing that matters in such a game: the story rocks.

THey should not have moved to the PS2, they should have moved to the Game boy or something like this. If Suikoden III had been out on the Game boy, the story of the franchise would have been completely different.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

PS2 was still the best possible move, best selling console ever is a good selling point. The move to Nintendo DS was also very good - the DS has a great library of RPGs, a big user base, it should be perfect. With slightly more appealing graphics and more "Suikoden" to it (main world, tons of mini-games at the castle, war battles and duels) Suikoden Tierkreis (then, of course, labeled Suikoden VI) could have been a huge seller for Konami (by huge seller I mean sales as good as in Suikoden III times).

A lot of niche RPG series have to go mobile, the Megami Tensei series is a good example with Shin Megami Tensei IV, Devil Survivor 1 + 2, Persona 4 Golden + Q and probably more moving mainly to mobile platforms. But I really wonder how a company like Atlus (which I would consider smaller than Konami) is able to mass produce these games, and Konami can't do the same with Suikoden.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:
Even though 3 came before 4 and didn't even get a universal release, and since 5 all they've done is release even more obscure games with the same name. :roll:

I believe the fact that they didn't release S3 in Europe was what killed the franchize....a really bad move indeed.

But what i read here? Tactics better than IV??? :shock:

Tactics was just a spin-off in fact,just to realise S4 story better....but it was the most difficult game among the series. I really had a hard time beating those battles,and most of my characters ended up being killed
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Antimatzist wrote:
veriaqa wrote:By being better than IV...
By being completely different in terms of gameplay? It sold not well, making a spin-off of an already not well selling franchise is by no means reviving anything.
The key word is: tried. Even V didn't sell very well, and we all agree that it is the best Suikoden's games after the first two. The cause of the drop of the sales is, in my opinion , because of IV.