Win Basil's tops minigame 20 times in a row

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
gildedtalon

Win Basil's tops minigame 20 times in a row

Post by gildedtalon »

I honestly can't remember how I ever managed to do it on PS2, but they are more responsive so it's easier than playing in emulator(no save state allowed lol)
It was the biggest torture I've ever had playing suikoden minigames :(
I take lots of breathers when I was aiming for that treasure map, rest after every 3 wins doing something else then come back after 30 minutes to resume that evil minigame :evil:

I've only got one tips to make your tops minigame smoother and more controlled

Use directional button instead of rotating the analog, you won't tire as much.
In fact here's why using d-pad is so much better

1.Doesn't tire your finger
2.What you do is hold down the up(direction) button while tapping the left(direction) button
You will see the loop go much faster than if you just tap both buttons at the same time
Resulting in MUCH MUCH more time for you to press the x button at the correct timing
Much better result overall

You can only blame it on bad luck or just poor timing on your part if this still doesn't help you :|
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Leon481

Re: Win Basil's tops minigame 20 times in a row

Post by Leon481 »

It's not really hard, just tedious. It's been a while, but I seem to remember the trick to always winning was to always launch your next top AFTER he launches his. It needs to be almost immediately after to avoid getting your last top toppled, but as long as it's after, your tops will outlast his.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

so you've managed to win it 20 times in a row?

I'm gonna try your tips. so as soon as you see it is falling from the air huh?
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Helps to try and knock his top out when you drop it, too. I don't remember what 20 wins gets you, was it the couch? I think I stopped after getting that. Only kept at it because I wanted that set.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

treasure map, yeah I am aiming to end the match by knocking his top out. sometimes it doesn't work even if I managed to time the x perfectly

so yeah, we're just looking for a sure way to win. even if the method takes much longer :(
Leon481

Post by Leon481 »

gildedtalon wrote:so you've managed to win it 20 times in a row?
I've gotten all the rewards so it was more than 20x. Still, it took a while to figure out and every once in a while you may get unlucky and get knocked out.
I'm gonna try your tips. so as soon as you see it is falling from the air huh?
Not exactly. Keep in mind this was a few years ago and my memory is a bit fuzzy. It's more like, as long as you fully wind the tops, your first top can withstand for a short time after he launches his second. Keep your second launch ready until your first top starts to look unsteady, (or maybe slightly sooner if you think it's neessary) then launch it. Repeat in the third round.

There seems to be a specific pattern on how long the tops last, so it's really easy to figure out the correct timing if you experiment a bit. The only random element involved is getting knocked out. You can usually avoid that by launching near the middle, but sometimes he may get you when he launches or your top may just bounce the wrong way. You can't do much to stop it when that happens. You can minimize the risks though.