fun finds in the bargain bin

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
eldrasidar

fun finds in the bargain bin

Post by eldrasidar »

In the middle of a new playthrough of Suikoden 4, and one of the things I'm noticing is that there's a lot of sweet armor, runes, and accessories to be found in various bargain lists, even early in the game, and that many of them so far are not well documented on this site, so I thought I share the ones I've noticed thus far, being at the point where I've just recruited Elenor.

From Middleport, at the very beginning of the game
Magic Hand

From Chadli(your ship)
Platinum Mail
Diamond Boots
Noble's Gloves
Magic Sandles

From Na-Nal Item shop:
Fire Magic Ring

From Nest Of Pirates
Double Strike Rune*
Wind Magic Ring

*this is noted in the series rune guide, but not the suikoden 4 rune guide

I suspect I'll likely find others too, and I'll note them as I see them. I feel like we could probably do a much better job with this for suikoden 4, because there's a ton of equipment and accessories and stuff, and no well organized and accurate source for them all, which is kind of the point of this site. For many of these items, what I'm discovering is that guides suggest you'll only find these items late game, but that you can actually find them at any time. I feel like most of the information is probably there, it's just not in a single, easy to find place.
Punkaiser

Re: fun finds in the bargain bin

Post by Punkaiser »

I wonder if hero shoes would ever appear in bargain list somewhere, the only reason why i don't use reinbach is because the hero shoes are so annoying to get in that tom&jerry minigame.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Doubt it, seeing as the hero set is unique, like a large number of things in this game. Items in the bargain bin are always repeatable(even if the time frame to repeat might be small)

Seems like that's a pretty lame reason to not use Reinbach though. Yes, the hero set is one of the best sets, but the added offensive benefits it grants him are relatively small compared to having the red rose, double strike, and fury runes already equipped to him, so it's not like not having it equipped suddenly makes him horrible.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

depend on your tolerance though. I don't mean he's become bad, but come to comparision hes definitely losing point to mizuki for exemple, with the set it may cause some wonders to consider using him or mizuki, but without the set i'll kick him out with no 2nd thought.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

You got to have a pretty ridiculously low tolerance if your concerned about adding 11% damage on top of 450% extra damage, and of course there's lot's of other equipment one could go with that would give him a similar bonus(not sure if he can equip all of them, but they are there)

it's not like he's in an either/or situation with Mizuki here. true, with there only being a single fury rune, you'd have to pick between the two of them for that since neither can wear ogre armor, but the loser of that is still at an advantage against most of the other stars, since x4+ damage from their command rune, double strike rune, and a warrior rune will nearly always beat the x2.5-x3 double strike plus ogre set plus warrior damage that anyone else can muster.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Dont get me wrong, I never underestimated Reinbach, he always stand in 3rd position in my top list as single attacker. But since my pt is always formed with hero+snowe+kika, i only have one last slot to consider, why should i pick him while its hard to reach his full potential which is not the case for Mizuki? May be for a change for fun, but not for effectiveness.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Reinbach's damage is average. Even if he crits, he will still deal less damage than other powerhouses with normal attack damage. Same for other characters who like to crit often
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

are you sure you're talking about reinbach using redrose skill and powered up with dbl strike and fury? that would be x6 his base damage, man. And if he has hero set, that would be x6.6 times. Only few chars in S4 can have that multiplier, that's why hes taking 3rd rank top fighter
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

indeed, one should be careful about confusing reinhold with reinbach. reinhold is the training center guy in bandages, reinbach is guy with the fancy clothes and a whiny servant.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

No one can wear the full hero set, no one. The same goes with noble set. That's why I didn't include it on my thread here

http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30&t=11850
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Do you need a SS or video with Reinbach wearing full Hero set? and i remember Snowe could wield it as well.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Oh, I didn't add it coz I don't want to get to El-Eal. Now I remember

turns out I never get hero shoes and mystical circlet. trying to catch those goddamn mice. wish me luck

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/918886-suik ... faqs/35584

barely got mystical circlet, but now my savefile is corrupt :lol:

got everything now, the ones who can use noble set are reinbach, snowe, helmut, charlemagne
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Punkaiser wrote:I wonder if hero shoes would ever appear in bargain list somewhere, the only reason why i don't use reinbach is because the hero shoes are so annoying to get in that tom&jerry minigame.
wait till you play that basil tops minigame, you need 20 straight wins. It broke my analog stick :oops:
I rest for like half an hour after 10 straight wins, sometimes you simply lose the rhythm
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Mini games in S4 sure are hard. But I can easily catch my breath now ever since playing the game on emulator, saved state helped to get 10 mice with more than 30 secs left in timer, went to sleep then continued the mouse hunt haha, hero shoes were never this easy before.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Well, I did get the hero shoes with 34 secs left. Extra large and shiny is harder than extra large and slippery

But how are you planning to play basil tops minigame then? Eh, I won this minigame using directional button so you can probably do it as well on emulator