What kind of Magic stat makes attaching magic runes worth it

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
Rachael

What kind of Magic stat makes attaching magic runes worth it

Post by Rachael »

I'm not sure how else to put this. This is actually a question concerning all the games, if there's a formula that applies to all of them.

I was thinking that maybe if their Magic stat is equal to at least half their Attack stat, but now I'm thinking that's too low.

And how does it work? Should I go by "If their Magic stat is over ___," or should I go by "If their Magic stat is __% of their Attack stat"?
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
eldrasidar

Re: What kind of Magic stat makes attaching magic runes wort

Post by eldrasidar »

The magic stat by itself doesn't really contribute a whole lot to the actual damage you do. The primary value of a higher magic stat is that you can cast more spells, and higher level spells. As long as you have a high enough magic stat to cast a certain level of spell, then you have a high enough magic stat to do a reasonable amount of damage with that spell. What can significantly increase or decrease that damage is that character's particular rune affinity, a list of which for suikoden 4 can be found in the suikoden 4 gameplay guides here: http://suikosource.com/games/gs4/guides ... nities.php

A character with either a 3 or higher in a particular rune affinity is going to be above average effective with that rune. Suikoden 1 and 2 also have hidden rune affinities for characters, while you can see them in suikoden 5 for each character. In Suikoden 3, rune affinities were a part of the skill system. In some of the games, there are pieces of equipment which can improve a character's affinity with a particular rune. As far as the magic stat goes, what identifies a 'mage' character is someone who has a magic stat increase rate similar to a fighter's power/strength stat increase rate. If you look at suikoden 4's list of stat growths, this would characters with a category 8 or higher stat growth rate in magic, for example, Jeane. However, if you equipped Jeane with a Fire Rune, she would be far less effective than Katarina, who although has a worse magic stat, has a much better affinity with Fire Magic.