Converting PS2 Codes for Unlocking Rune Spells

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Converting PS2 Codes for Unlocking Rune Spells

Post by suiko2fan2 »

If anyone out there is nerdy enough to help I am looking for some help converting cheat engine hex coding to codebreaker/gameshark hex format for the PS2. If it is even possible given the fluctuating nature of the ps2 game codes.

Basically, i have found the address code for unlocking all the rune attacks of the Punishment Rune and Dawn Rune in SIV and SV and need help to convert those address to working gameshark codes. so if anyone could help that'd be cool

------------------------------------------------
PS: in the mean time of waiting for conversions, if anyone plays Suikoden 4 or 5 on an emulator and knows how to use cheatengine, i can teach you how to search for the correct address and unlock the runes' attacks in either Suiko4 or Suiko5 using that software. just ask me.
------------------------------------------------
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Mr.Randy!

Re: Converting PS2 Codes for Unlocking Rune Spells

Post by Mr.Randy! »

Can you get soul eater and rune of punishment ect ?
I know how cheat engine works tough,
And I play emulator once in a while.
In depth HP ?
If you manage to get the hero's 100 % HP in Suikoden IV heres what it looks like :
LV 20 221/221
LV 60 541/541
LV 99 703/703
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Mr.Randy! wrote:Can you get soul eater and rune of punishment ect ?
I know how cheat engine works tough,
And I play emulator once in a while.
How "to get", i'd say use codebreakers or wait till the games give them to you, unlocking the Rune of punishment magics and turning off the dmg, now that i can teach how to do using cheatengine
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
Mr.Randy!

Post by Mr.Randy! »

Hey I remember something,
Years ago I was in the Rayman Forums going for the world record, I ended place 53 tough :P
But The people out there used 3ds max to rip models off rayman games.
I wonder.. Can it be done for suikoden IV..
In depth HP ?
If you manage to get the hero's 100 % HP in Suikoden IV heres what it looks like :
LV 20 221/221
LV 60 541/541
LV 99 703/703
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

A little late, but I can probably help you.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Pyriel wrote:A little late, but I can probably help you.
Not to the late, I have not been able to successfully convert IV or V codes beyond the Cheat engine program for codebreaker. I'll PM you the code data i collected for the 3 codes i wanted. 1. unlock all the punishment, 2. turn off the punishment self dmg, and 3. unlock the dawn rune. Thank you and good Luck!

Best Suiko FanFic:
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, as I feared, the address of the dynamically allocated segment for EE memory varied wildly from your system to mine. I guessed that it would at the very least align it on the same boundary, and luckily wasn't wrong, so I was able to use my existing potch code, and the low-order bits of your offsets to narrow the search significantly.

Incidentally, I suspect the massive shifts in value you saw were due to the fact that you were monitoring 32-bits (4 bytes) when the values in question are only 8-bits (1 byte). I'm not sure why any of your values would be odd after the fourth level, though, so there may be something else at work. I'm fairly certain that the flag for "No Damage from Using Rune of Punishment" doesn't have anything to do with departures and such. You said you set it to 257 and they were locked, and then changed it to 255 and no damage occurred while departure was still possible. You essentially cleared all the bits in the next byte up (originally 0x0101, your change: 0x00FF, though 0x0001 would have worked), and that tells me that not touching that byte will eliminate the problem. Still, I'm not to the point where I can travel freely in the game, so my suspicions will require confirmation.

Offset from Potch (+0x5579)

Unlock Rune of Punishment
0053B471 0000000?

Replace ? With (each higher level includes all levels before it)
1 - Level 1 (Eternal Ordeal)
2 - Level 2 (Double Edged Swd)
3 - Level 3 (Voice of Death)
4 - Level 4 (Everlasting Mercy)

No Damage from Using Rune of Punishment
0053B479 00000001

Edit: Seems like the game resets the rune level based on Lazlo's current magical abilities. If he has no ability to use the level 3 or 4 spells, the rune gets downgraded. It seems odd. I would have expected the game to reset it based on the current state of the story. At least, I don't think the rune normally goes to level 2 when you escape the deserted island on the raft. Just means you need to keep the code active, or reload with it periodically. I can probably get around that by editing the routine that checks the value.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Pyriel wrote: Edit: Seems like the game resets the rune level based on Lazlo's current magical abilities. If he has no ability to use the level 3 or 4 spells, the rune gets downgraded. It seems odd. I would have expected the game to reset it based on the current state of the story. At least, I don't think the rune normally goes to level 2 when you escape the deserted island on the raft. Just means you need to keep the code active, or reload with it periodically. I can probably get around that by editing the routine that checks the value.
Thanks Man i really appreciate the help, i had kinda of given up hope on this one. But Codebreaker seems to take it fine; just tested it out. Cool!! I'll post these up, they'll go great with the ones I did for suikoden 1 and 2.

Also , About your edit comments i can tell you, yes, these codes, which i just tested out are awesome, and acted just like how it was when i used cheatengine. Its true, as you suspected, it will unlock the rune, but when the story plot unlocks the rune naturally, the rune reverts to its proper number alignment. So you'll have to reload the code the 3 times (4th wont matter of course) after the game plot unlocks them. But the no dmg code is fine, it only needs to be used once, and its good the whole game.

BTW, On that same note as your working on SuikoV, i can tell you that i had the problem of that the game wont retain the code value change afterwards. Meaning I can't just load the code, save it, quit, and the modded value remains when i restarted. No, it always returned to its default setting. So I had to reactivate the code each time i played until the plot naturally activated the 4th attack way late in the game, when the attack no longer mattered, because you had some many other choices.

So i suspect that even if you do get a gameshark/codebreaker type code, you'll have to upload it every time if want to have all the dawn runes attacks, unlike suiko2 where you do the code once and your good all game, or in suiko IV where you have to do it those 3 times to keep pace with the plot. But still better than nothing. Again if you need anything else or help for 5 let me know, and i'll see what i can do!

Best Suiko FanFic:
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Also, on a side note, if anyone out there like me plays Suikoden on their PC, using emulators, and has PEC for the espxe, but has no codebreaker for their pcsx2, i have the ISO codebreaker dvd which is what i use for cheat codes for my PCSX2. So for those ps2 emulators users out their that want to use codes, but dont have this the Codebreaker ISO, let me know and i'll show you how to get it.

Best Suiko FanFic: