Duel w/ Lino?

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
kte03

Duel w/ Lino?

Post by kte03 »

Well, I bought my little brother Suikoden IV off eBay and he's been playing lately. He got stuck at some point and decided to use a walkthrough... but yeah, after the "Horned Behemoth" the walkthrough mentioned an unavoidable duel with Lino, where either answer leads to the same result -- a duel with Lino.

Now when my brother read this, he told me that he never even had to fight Lino =/ So... can anyone clarify this with me? Please and thanks :]
Chris_Lightfellow

Re: Duel w/ Lino?

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

He must be mistaken because the duel happens regardless and is an important plot point.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
kte03

Post by kte03 »

he said it was the fight for the ship captain =/

EDIT - Apparently, the walkthru says that you fight the Horned Behemoth then you have a duel with Lino. Can someone lemme know if this is the right time?
King Krimson

Post by King Krimson »

There is only one Duel against Lino and it is for the title of captain and to recieve the golden seal if i remember correctly. In any case after Hermitage Island and return to your ship i'm pretty sure that is when you duel Lino.. so i guess it is after the Horned Behemoth more or less.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1542/banner2bq6.gif

Luc - "then your definition of freedom is the ability to walk around a giant cell with an invisible leash around your neck"
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Apparently you can avoid that title duel through some dialogue options, IIRC.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

patapi wrote:Apparently you can avoid that title duel through some dialogue options, IIRC.
No, I'm sure that it's a MUST to duel him.
In any case after Hermitage Island and return to your ship i'm pretty sure that is when you duel Lino.. so i guess it is after the Horned Behemoth more or less.
Yeah, it's after you've recruited Elenor and return to your War Room. Elenor will say something like "we only need one captain, round 1, FIGHT!". You'll get the Golden Seal afterwards.
kte03

Post by kte03 »

ugh... yeah my bro already has the Golden Seal and he already named his ship -_-" That means my game is broken. He did say that the screen went black and it just showed Lino saying "You beat me" or something along those lines.

EDIT - I got SIV from an eBay auction in a bulk auction for IV and Tactics for $20 for both :'(
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

kte03 wrote:ugh... yeah my bro already has the Golden Seal and he already named his ship -_-" That means my game is broken. He did say that the screen went black and it just showed Lino saying "You beat me" or something along those lines.

EDIT - I got SIV from an eBay auction in a bulk auction for IV and Tactics for $20 for both :'(
That doesn't sound great but I must admit, you bought them at a low price!
Why don't you have your brother replay that part, if he has a file. Don't worry it's not a heapload of a prob. :wink:
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I'm playing through it myself as well.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

it is 100% possible to avoid the duel and just automatically be named the captain/"king".

i've done it in the past.

i just prefer kicking his ass, that's all.
kte03

Post by kte03 »

gjragkergrekgjerlg

Ugh I might just have to play the game and test this out for myself -_-" (Not dissing any Suikoden IV fans out there, I was just planning to play III first is all >_>)

But yeah, my bro chose the option "Wait" but then Lino taunted me saying something about me being too chicken or something so I was supposedly forced to fight. Then, the screen turns black showing Lino being exhausted and accepting the fact that you're stronger than he is. Idk if this is a bug but...

Thanks for everyone who replied, thanks Chris for checking into this matter but I'm gonna have to check this out for myself as well ._.
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Yeah, I just checked all the FAQs on GameFAQs for SIV. These were the results:

- After searching "Horned Behemoth" on 2 FAQs, no text was found
- After searching "Horned Behemoth" on 1 FAQ, it mentions an unavoidable fight with Lino
- After searching "Horned Behemoth" on 2 FAQs, it mentions that if I chose "W-Wait!" when Lino asks to fight, you do fight.

By majority, I'm pretty sure that the first choice does skip the fight with Lino. The fight is avoidable
Once again, thanks for everyone who bothered helping me out with this :]