Returning Runes

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

As requested by Kuromimi:

Complete List of Runes

Magic Runes

Rune of Punishment
Level 1: Eternal Trial - 300 damage to one enemy. 30 damage to self.
Level 2: Double Edged Sword - 150 damage to all enemies. 50 damage to self.
Level 3: Beckoning Dirge - Possible instant death to one enemy. 10% chance to knockout self.
Level 4: Eternal Forgiveness - 500 damage to all enemies and heals 500 hp of all allies excluding self.

Blinking Rune
Level 1: Ready! - Teleport one enemy out of battle. Sometimes teleports one ally to HQ roster.
Level 2: Set! - 200 damage to all enemies.
Level 3: Go! - Teleport all enemies out of battle. Sometimes teleports one ally to HQ roster.

Souleater
Level 1: Deadly Fingertips - Absorb some HP from one enemy.
Level 2: Black Shadow - 300 damage to all enemies.
Level 3: Hell - Absorb some HP from all enemies.
Level 4: Judgement - 1500 damage to one enemy.

Fire/Rage Rune
Level 1: Flaming Arrow - 100 damage to one enemy.
Level 2: Dancing Flames - 150 damage to all enemies.
Level 3: Wall of Flames - 300 damage to all enemies.
Level 4: Explosion - 500 damage to all enemies.
Level 5: Final Flame - 700 damage to all enemies.

Water/Flowing Rune
Level 1: Kindness Drops - Heals HP and status of one ally.
Level 2: Ice Breath - 100 damage to all enemies.
Level 3: Kindness Rain - Heals HP and status of all allies.
Level 4: Silent Lake - Seals all rune use by enemies and allies for 4 rounds.
Level 5: Mother Ocean - Heals HP and status including "knocked out" of one ally.

Wind/Cyclone Rune
Level 1: Wind of Sleep - Makes all enemies go to sleep.
Level 2: Heal HP and status of one ally.
Level 3: The Shredding - 300 damage to all enemies.
Level 4: Funeral Wind - 300 damage to one enemy; 25% chance for instant death.
Level 5: Shining Wind: Heal 300 HP of all allies; 500 damage to all enemies.

Earth/Mother Earth Rune
Level 1: Guardian Earth - DEF and MDEF 20% increase on all allies.
Level 2: Revenge Earth - Cancels out all magic targeted at one ally (including healing magic).
Level 3: Mother Earth - Heals status ailments of all allies.
Level 4: Earthquake - 800 damage to all enemies.
Level 5: Canopy Defense - Protects entire party from enemy magic.

Lightning/Thunder Rune
Level 1: Angry Strike: 100 damage to all enemies.
Level 2: Thunder Runner: 300 damage to one enemy.
Level 3: Greased Lightning: 600 damage to one enemy.
Level 4: Bolt of Wrath: 900 damage to one enemy.
Level 5: Thor Shot: 1500 damage to one enemy.

Command Runes

Falcon Rune - x3.0 damage to one enemy.
Shrike Rune - x2.0 damage to one enemy.
Red Rose Rune - x2.0 damage to one enemy.

Special Runes (only on certain people)

Seduction Rune - Sometimes forces enemies to take hits for bearer.
Waking Rune - Puts bearer to sleep, but in fury status when awaken.
Firefly Rune - Makes enemies target the bearer.

Common Runes (anyone can attach)
Medicine Rune - Uses medicine when anyone in the party is near death.
Killer Rune - Increases chance for critical attacks by 10%.
One Slice Rune - Changes "Let Go" to "One Slice" (ends battle instantly while you get potch, exp, and items from the enemy).
Counter Rune - Increases chance for counter attacks by 10%.
Drain Rune - Heals bearer's HP with every critical attack. Ineffective when enemy is defending.
Violence Rune - Gains fury status after two hits from enemies during single combat.
Skunk Rune - makes enemies avoid hitting bearer.
Sunbeam Rune - Heals 5% of max HP every round.
Alert Rune - Gains alert status after 4 rounds and MAG multiplied by x2.0.
Double Strike Rune - Increases physical attack damage by x2.0 but also increases damage received by x2.0.
Warrior Rune - Cuts DEF value by half, and adds half of that to STR.
Wizard Rune - Cuts MDEF value by half, and adds half of that to MAG.
Fury Rune - Puts bearer in perpetual fury status and increases STR.
Champion Rune - Stops encounters with weaker enemies.
Fortune Rune Increases exp by x2.0.
Prosperity Rune Increases potch from enemies by x2.0.

Combo Magic
Fire + Earth = Scorched Earth - 1500 damage to all enemies.
Earth + Wind = Storm Fang - 1500 damage to all enemies.
Wind + Water = Water Dragon - 900 damage to all enemies; Heal all HP/status of allies.
Water + Lightning = Thor - 1500 damage to one enemy; Heal all HP/status of allies.
Lightning + Fire = Blazing Camp - 2000 damage to one enemy; 1000 damage to all other enemies.
Last edited by Vextor on Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonknight123

runes

Post by dragonknight123 »

Thanks for the list it look pretty good selection. The rune of Punishment does seem a liitle weak though in terms of its final attack. All the names sound cool though. it seems like nothing more than a glorifed shinning wind of the cyclone rine though. alittle disappointed i must confessed. And the soul eater. it absorbs HP, it doesnt bring instant death am i understanding that correctly?
"I'll create a Single Unified Nation born of Force, and Yielding that Force"~Jowy Atreides
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

The list of runes does look good. (Still a little dissapointed with no Pale/Blue Gate Rune). It also looks like some of the elemental spells have been on a higher or lower level. (Like the spell "Canopy Defense" on the Mother Earth rune at LV5 when it was orignally a LV3 spell).
Kuromimi
Elite Member

Post by Kuromimi »

The creators are obviously trying to make this game more challenging than previous Suikoden's.
Having the Soul Eater with two instant death spells would make regular battles far too easy, especially since both spells worked 100% of the time in Suikoden I & II. Canopy Defense was a level four mother earth rune spell in Suikoden III as well. I don't blame them for making that choice; it's an insanely useful spell. Having it as a level three mother earth rune spell in Suikoden II made for some easy boss battles (ie. Bone Dragon).

People have said they're disappointed with the blue gate rune not being included. Was this rune actually useful at some point or was it only liked in Suikoden III since the level one spell could instantly kill all enemies. Come on guys. -_-;
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

That does make sense I guess,putting useful spells at a higher level. And I forgot Canopy Defense was LV4 in Suiko3 too.One more thing I would like to know is if there are any monsters in Suiko4 that use runes for magical attacks (ie. Magicians in Suiko 3 )?
Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

I'm disappointed in the lack of command runes available. One question: was "Kite" supposed to be "Shrike", since I saw somewhere else that Mizuki had a shrike rune. Also, does this mean that they've removed the Unicorn, Gozz and other miscellaneous weapon-specific runes as well?
Kuromimi
Elite Member

Post by Kuromimi »

Personally, I found most of those weapon specific command runes to be fairly useless for most characters. Seems to me that Konami only included useful runes this time; Suikoden I, II and III had several runes that were practically useless. Some of the best setups for characters relying on physical damage used runes such as fury, double-strike, warrior, killer and violence.

Since there has been some changes to the battle system; no back row and items don't have to be equipped and can be stacked to 99, the medicine rune and skunk rune now seem much more useful.
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

They dropped shield and blue gate? I think I'll miss shield more than blue gate. I guess we're back to wind and water healers.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

this game is definitely a lot harder, but mainly because of a 4-person party instead of 6. you just have much less options.

the Revenge Earth Spell has weird protection properties. i don't remember what it says in teh game, but i think it says 1 spell or 1 round. well the time i used it, it protected my Hero from one enemy spell just after being cast, and the next round he used the level 1 Punishment Rune, and the dmg to Hero was prevented, and the protection spell was then removed. so it was 2 spells.... and not 1 round..... i dunno

Sunbeam Rune doesn't seem useful anymore cuz its in-battle only. but actually in the major battles, if you board the enemy (or they board your ship) you actually can't use magic at all, don't think items either. at that time, the only runes that actually help are the passive ones (Sunbeam and Killer are the only ones i can buy right now)