[FAQ] Ship navigation & exploration - tips/info

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
grumble_cakes

[FAQ] Ship navigation & exploration - tips/info

Post by grumble_cakes »

Am I supposed to explore the world map by myself or can I count on the story line to put markers on my map? I started playing this game yesterday and I find ship sailing extremely frustrating. It takes ages to get anywhere, the encounter rate is stupidly high, the random borders don't make sense and the fog of war that you reveal by moving is tiny and unhelpful.

The reason I'm asking is because I just reached Obel and all the walkthroughs say I probably want to go to Mordo, Na-Nal etc. and yet I have no idea where they are even after spending about an hour exploring the area. Sure, I can look for a copy of the world map online but I don't think that's the way you're supposed to do it.

I feel like I'm missing something... my used copy of the game didn't come with a manual so now I'm wondering if the game comes with a map you're supposed to use? anything that would make this easier?
Last edited by grumble_cakes on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
highwind44029

Re: ship exploration? a question

Post by highwind44029 »

You will see locations on the map if that's the next place you're supposed to go to. It is indicated by a blue arrow, just like early on in the game with Middleport. Early on at Obel however, while trying to find recruits, you can go to Mordo, Na-Nal, Nay, and Donut Islands but they won't be displayed on the maps (unless you're in the New Game+, where there's no fog of war). That's when you'll have to explore it on your own.

The four treasure hunting islands (Donut, Mountain Mass, Limestone Shelf, Mordo) and the Deserted Island all never show up on the map as a destination during the normal course of the game.
grumble_cakes

Post by grumble_cakes »

thanks for the quick reply! normally I would get all recruits as soon as possible but this is too much of a pain so I'll wait until the story takes me there. I hope Viki comes soon so I can teleport...
Last edited by grumble_cakes on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Also, you can hold R1 to go a bit faster, if you didn't know that.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
grumble_cakes

Post by grumble_cakes »

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:Also, you can hold R1 to go a bit faster, if you didn't know that.
oooh so it DOES go faster if you press L1. I thought the angle just makes it seem that way :lol:
thanks! that helps a lot.
Last edited by grumble_cakes on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

L1 is the camera angle, R1 is the "dash" button.
grumble_cakes

Post by grumble_cakes »

maaaan I can't believe I played this game for 2 days without the dash button. It's a huge improvement... :lol:
darkphoenix

Re: ship navigation & exploration - tips/info

Post by darkphoenix »

they should be an auto navigation system, like on FFIX, just select a direction and sail away!
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

There kinda is. If you click a destination on the map, the ship will be angled in that direction. Then you can just go and be in the right direction.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yes pulling up the map and changing your direction is very useful... even if you were going full speed one way, using the map to change your direction stops your ship instantly.
mumbay

Post by mumbay »

the only problem is if there are ocean rocks or other islands in your way then the ship changes it's destination
ForGreatJustice

Post by ForGreatJustice »

Not sure if this was ever mentioned, but I realized after looking at my SIV manual again, there is a full map (not labeled) of the Island Nations. I think it's in the beginning where Konami is giving the introduction. So if you do want to go exploring, which is recommended since it would lead you to recruiting extra Stars early on, you can use the manual's map
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

ForGreatJustice wrote:Not sure if this was ever mentioned, but I realized after looking at my SIV manual again, there is a full map (not labeled) of the Island Nations. I think it's in the beginning where Konami is giving the introduction. So if you do want to go exploring, which is recommended since it would lead you to recruiting extra Stars early on, you can use the manual's map
Hahaha! We do have an alike "strategy" on finding islands!!!
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Celes
Global Admin

Re: [FAQ] Ship navigation & exploration - tips/info

Post by Celes »

Topic released.