Character List with gameplay information

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
Basel

Character List with gameplay information

Post by Basel »

I would suggest removing the JavaScript that resizes the window. Even though it's a pop-up windows, Firefox settings can force it to open in a new tab. Now imagine reading a news article while the image of say Abizboah is loading in the background. Once the image is loaded, you will end up with a 100px window all of a sudden. This behavior is unexpected and not desirable.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

The image browser page looks horrible without resizing based on the image size. If there was a way to simply spawn a window that starts off as the correct size, I would do that instead (I hate javascript as much as you do). But making all the image windows the same size is not an option.

I can't even find this Firefox setting you speak of. Under tabs, I have "New pages should be opened in a new tab" checked, and I don't see this behavior. Nothing else under preferences seems close.

Furthermore, under Javascript settings, you can choose to not allow Javascript to resize windows.

My only worry about the system is that people who have Javascript disabled entirely can't open that popup window at all. I've been looking for a way to fix that, but as far as I know, there's no way for a server to know whether or not the client has Javascript enabled.
Basel

Post by Basel »

KoRnholio wrote:The image browser page looks horrible without resizing based on the image size. If there was a way to simply spawn a window that starts off as the correct size, I would do that instead (I hate javascript as much as you do).
I guess using the width and height attributes of window.open is not an option here as you have different sizes, right?
KoRnholio wrote:Furthermore, under Javascript settings, you can choose to not allow Javascript to resize windows.
I'm sorry KoRnholio, I totally forgot about the JavaScript settings :oops: I had "Move or resize existing windows" checked.
KoRnholio wrote:My only worry about the system is that people who have Javascript disabled entirely can't open that popup window at all. I've been looking for a way to fix that, but as far as I know, there's no way for a server to know whether or not the client has Javascript enabled.
Yahoo, Google and other websites simply request users to enable cookies, not sure about JavaScript, so you could simply do the same thing.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Basel wrote: I guess using the width and height attributes of window.open is not an option here as you have different sizes, right?
Correct. Unless the server loaded each full image for a character on loading that character's page to find its dimensions. I'm not sure if this would be good for the server, or the PHP engine. Currently the server doesn't load the images at all, only sends them.

I do want to fix this problem but its very time-consuming, for an issue that probably isn't going to affect a large amount of our visitors. I have other projects to work on as well, like adding more gameplay stuff to it.