Is Suikosource database-driven?

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
Reo
Elite Member

Is Suikosource database-driven?

Post by Reo »

I'm a web and DB developer by profession, and I'm working on a minor pet project related to Suikoden, that I realize could turn into a major resource with a little work. Currently, it's a dynamic version of the "Star Correlation" gamefaq with interlinking and "themes" for stars.

I realized I could add in unite attacks, and then realized there could be a single relational database for almost all Suikoden game info.

So, I was curious, are the various sections pulling information from a database like MySQL, or are they simply static pages?

If it is database-driven, I was wondering if I could possibly take a look so that I can structure my information to match your standards. If not, I'd be happy to offer my skills to help build a mega database of all Suikoden knowledge for Suikoden fans.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Parts are database driven, parts are static.

I've had grand visions of a completely db-driven Suikosource, but I've toned it down to mainly a db-driven character list. Currently all character entries are hard-coded.

To that end, I've created my planned database schema, and a couple of the interface scripts, but that project has been put on hold due to Suikoden V's release, while we're rushing to put up entries in the current format for Suikoden V characters (not to mention catching up on Suikoden IV/Rhapsodia entries).

If you want to see my structure (not necessarily finalized) PM me. We'll talk.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

A problem with completely dynamic sites is that they tend to consume a lot of CPU. A site that gets as many visitors as Suikosouce will likely die if the entire site was database driven because our database is on a shared server. Of course, that might not even happen.