Introduction thread error?

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
True Wind Bearer

Introduction thread error?

Post by True Wind Bearer »

I've just noticed that in the General Discussion section of the forums, there are 23 pages of the Introduction thread (sticky). When I click on the number 23, it comes up with a message saying, "No posts exist for this topic". I'm assuming this is an error?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

It's an unfixable error.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

This error occurs when an old account with many posts is deleted from the database without using the proper method of deletion (through the admin panel). Each post is assigned to a user's userid within a database separate from the user database (where all your personal data is stored). When a user's information is deleted directly from the database, the infornmation stored inside the posts database will remain. Because of this, when the forum tries to load the post information, it gets confused because when it tries to access the user database for the userid's information, they can't find anything. phpBB doesn't have a script to handle that sort of situation gracefully, which results in this situation.

When users are deleted from the admin panel though, it makes sure all post data is deleted as well (and the username for all of those posts gets written over).

Edit: Fixed