how do you get to be a moderator?

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
Star of destiny

how do you get to be a moderator?

Post by Star of destiny »

Hi there!

I was just wondering how a person becomes a moderator on these forums. Any information you could supply would be much appreciated!

:)
Last edited by Star of destiny on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Leknaat calls me "traveler of the night and bearer of the stars". Though I see the stars that dwell within each of you, I could not possibly hope to know where fate may take you. And I myself am simply one star among many."
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

Moderator positions are up to my discression, so in order to become one then you have to impress upon myself that you are suitable for the role.

So you have to be helpful and polite at all times. Referring people to other topics where the same thing is discussed or pointing out where on the site their question is answered is a good start.

You have to know the rules of the forums, so any action taken against your posts for spam or rule infringements will count against your chances.

Post count has nothing to do with it, you do not become a moderator when you reach a certain level of posting; in fact I tend to be suspicious of high posters as they are more likely to be spamming topics.

And finally the most important rule is never ask to be a moderator: anyone who wants the title for prestige or power tends to be the worst at actually using it.
Star of destiny

Post by Star of destiny »

Thanks for the information! :)
Last edited by Star of destiny on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Leknaat calls me "traveler of the night and bearer of the stars". Though I see the stars that dwell within each of you, I could not possibly hope to know where fate may take you. And I myself am simply one star among many."
blank

Post by blank »

dont get me wrong, and im not up to the title of being a moderator but what is "spamming a topic"??
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Spamming a topic is when you stray too much from the main discussion of the thread.
Koden

Post by Koden »

Wow, helpful information. Thanks!
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

wow cant believe this is a sticky

just to let everybody know..shiro fan is no longer with suiko source..so dosen't that make his response kind of invalid? or has shiro fan come back? because the date of his post is 2004 so im assuming a mod copied and pasted his post and then made it a sticky,am I right?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Those policies regarding becoming a moderator haven't really changed since Shirofan left - most forums actually operate very similarly to this. This just states the unwritten rules that are true for most actively-moderated forums.
Redheim

Re: how do you get to be a moderator?

Post by Redheim »

Interesting. I will do my best!
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

With the current traffic we have at this site, I don't see any need for additional moderators here for the forseeable future-- unless a new Suikoden is released or something.
Mio
Banned User

Re:

Post by Mio »

Shirofan wrote:Moderator positions are up to my discression, so in order to become one then you have to impress upon myself that you are suitable for the role.

So you have to be helpful and polite at all times. Referring people to other topics where the same thing is discussed or pointing out where on the site their question is answered is a good start.

You have to know the rules of the forums, so any action taken against your posts for spam or rule infringements will count against your chances.

Post count has nothing to do with it, you do not become a moderator when you reach a certain level of posting; in fact I tend to be suspicious of high posters as they are more likely to be spamming topics.

And finally the most important rule is never ask to be a moderator: anyone who wants the title for prestige or power tends to be the worst at actually using it.
wow, seriously?

dont get blinded by these... ummm naive (?) words

being a moderator in a forum means work

you dont get to bask in your prowess and glory (two things i rarely see that a moderator gets)

you have to do something amongst the long 'to do' list in a forum

you do get authority (the right word) and rank for being a moderator

in exchange for having to service some messy and clueless forumers, ungrateful ones, uncontrollable flamers, cursing peeps., etc
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Yeah, i've been a mod for a few pokemon sites with a couple hundred members, but they were just invision free sites, not that important. But Mio, I agree, it is a lot of work, and a lot of responsibility. I'm working on being a mod on Gamefaqs. ^_^
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I always wondered how that process went. I was thinking to myself I'm only at 100 or so posts I figured the ones with 1000+ would be chosen first, but I see the point if they have an insane amount they could be spamming.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

There's no real process.
When the admins and mods think we need more mods to deal with some sort of onslaught of clueless people, we'll probably tap whomever who has been the most mature, level-headed, helpful, and willing person to become a mod.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Thats cool I was thinking that there were certain criteriors to be met maybe even a test on Suikoden. thanks this was helpful!
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai