Stone Tablet

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Stone Tablet

Post by Wolkendrache »

Some thoughts/ideas/suggestions on the stone tablet of this site...

1. additions on character designation/role (information written in yellow)
- Star 5-7: general / high ranked soldier
- 8: cavalry general
- 10-11: wealthy/prestigious supporters
- 12+25: (plot) duo / similarity
- 17: powerful swordfighter
- 18: spear user (4 of 6)
- 21: dubious/suspect follower
- 59: powerful female fighter
- 94: single raison d'etre
- 100+101: pair/duo

2. I suppose you took the chinese names from an old translation (Pearl S. Buck "All Men Are Brothers" 1933). This translation used a now outdated transcription (Wade Giles), and not even the standard one, but a rare modification. And apart from that, there are still typos on the stone tablet (e.g. "dragon who roils ivers", should be "Rivers", and I'm sure this mistake was copied from the book). There are newer translations that use the todays standard transcription Pinyin. I know it's not really important, but a little modernization and correction doesn't hurt.
Just tell me if you're interested, I could provide the data (from Sydney Shapiro "Outlaws of the Marsh" 2008 ed.).
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
BrucePrintscreen

Re: Stone Tablet

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

wow, excellent work Wolkendrache!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

i've made a post about it a year ago or so. Stars 12-25 are strongly related with Tenkais.Mostly they were Tenkai friends before he become a leader..like Cleo/Pahn or Paula/Jewel.

I dunno about Tenfu star....still is a big mistery to me. The only common thing is that they have some role in the main plot,but not as main protagonists
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

I can't argue if you based that on the official novel meanings but 21, Aila doesn't have a shady past. It's just that she's a Karayan.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

bluemask wrote:I can't argue if you based that on the official novel meanings but 21, Aila doesn't have a shady past. It's just that she's a Karayan.

I think Aila is the exception,because #21 has to do with assasins mostly (Kage & Keen) and Georg too who wasn't originally an assasin but he was branded as one.

edit: #15 is for a person who is the right hand man to someone else as it seems
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Sasarai10 wrote:I dunno about Tenfu star....still is a big mistery to me. The only common thing is that they have some role in the main plot,but not as main protagonists
Following the novel, it was probably supposed to be a wealthy/prestigious supporter similar to #10, but it only applies to 3 of 6 (Li Ying, Kun To, Euram). On the other hand, the same is true for #9, the hero's sworn protector, which only applies to Hua Rong, Gremio and Lyon (I really wonder why Nanami isn't listed there).
bluemask wrote:I can't argue if you based that on the official novel meanings but 21, Aila doesn't have a shady past. It's just that she's a Karayan.
I didn't really base it on the novel, I just included its characters to the feats comparison. Similar features don't always apply to all star equivalents, see #9; or #2 + #36 (Chaco is no trusted partner of Ridley, nor is Toma towards Raja); or many earthly stars.
Sasarai10 wrote:edit: #15 is for a person who is the right hand man to someone else as it seems
Not bad, I didn't realize that at all! But I realized that on the current stone tablet, if certain stars have a relation to others, it's only marked if these others share the same star as well. Makes sense somehow, cause at a guess, one out of four are a right hand man to someone else.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan