Hi there, just thought I could maybe shed some light on this fact. I've tried this about 40 - 50 times now and it works at least half of the time, if not more. The percentage chance of this occurring was thought to be around 60 - 70% and I believe this is almost correct. Now in case I write this out and it doesn't work for everyone else I thought I'd better mention that I'm playing on a PAL format in case its not the same for users of NTSC or JP.
The first time I read this fact I thought
it didn't work in my game, but I was doing it wrong, and I believe everyone else is as well. Here is how I was doing it.
1. I talked to the Rune Shop owner in Gregminster.
2. When his menu appeared, sometimes the Rare Finds section was highlighted, sometimes not, as expected.
3. If there was anything to buy, I bought it.
4. If not, or when my purchases were finished, I cancelled myself out of his menu, either by selecting 'Quit' or pressing the cancel button (it doesn't matter which).
5. I ran around to the other side of his desk and observed the cabinet behind him by pressing the X button.
6. I then ran back around the desk and spoke to him again.
7. When the menu popped up nothing had changed.
So after a few attempts, exactly like as described above, I assumed they had corrected this bug for the PAL version of the game and gave up on it. However as I said at the start I was doing it wrong. And I cant believe I didn't realise what the difference was sooner. And you will understand why when I tell you how it should
be done. Because the way the instructions have been written isn't totally clear on any site. So here it is.
1. Talk to the Rune Shop owner in Gregminster.
2. When his menu appears, sometimes the Rare Finds section is highlighted, sometimes not, as expected.
3. If there is anything to buy, buy it.
4. If not, or when your purchases are finished, cancel yourself out of his menu, either by selecting 'Quit' or pressing the cancel button (it doesn't matter which).
5. Run around to the other side of his desk.
6. Stand directly behind the Rune Shop owner and press X to talk to him again.
7. 60 - 70% of the time his Rare Finds section will change! If there was something in it before there might not be now, or vice versa, or a different combination of Runes.
Its that simple! For some strange reason I insisted on running back round to the front of the desk before speaking to him again because it felt right. But the glitch happens when you speak to him from behind. You don't have to observe the crate behind him for it to work either. Give it a try and tell me if it works for you too. Cheers.
ED* I have only tested this twice so far but it seems that if, for example, you were in the market for a Flowing Rune and you spoke to him from in front of the counter and he only had a Mother Earth Rune and you didn't
buy it. If you then ran round to the back of him and spoke to him from there and he had say, 2 Flowing Runes for sale and you bought those. If you then ran round to the front of the counter again and spoke to him from there again, he would still have the original Mother Earth Rune for sale. Effectively giving you 2 shopping lists depending on which direction you speak to him from! I now wish I had tried it with him facing to the left or right before I wrote over my save in case there were 2 more.....