[Runes List] Discussion & Bug Reports

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: [Runes List] Discussion & Bug Reports

Post by Wolkendrache »

I don't know which kanji the original japanese Suikoden game uses, but the japanese wikipedia site lists Pahn's and Nikea's rune as 獅子の紋章 Lion Rune. Nevertheless, I think that's a misunderstanding, because Pahn's rune seems to be referred to a boar: as mentioned before, the symbol resembles a boar, and moreover the boar crystal is dropped by a boar. IMO Nikea's rune should be a boar rune, too. The レオの紋章 Leo Rune is used for claw users in Suikoden Tactics.

Basically there are 3 different "shishi no monshō":
1. 獅子の紋章, Lion Rune, Nikea's rune
2. 獣の紋章, Beast rune, one of the True runes
3. 猪の紋章, but I don't know if the game ever used that kanji. 猪, when pronounced shishi, has the same meaning as 獣 (beast), but when pronounced inoshishi, it means wild boar.

Confusion is caused by naming Nikea's rune Lion rune instead of Boar rune. I know that Nikea's rune has some differences compared to the boar rune, but so do the Falcon runes of the different games as well.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

2. 獣の紋章, Beast rune, one of the True runes
It's not really shishi no monsho, is it? I think someone with real knowledge of the language should say somethong about it, but my online dicitonairy lists the shishi reading as irregular, kemono seems do be normal.
3. 猪の紋章, but I don't know if the game ever used that kanji. 猪, when pronounced shishi, has the same meaning as 獣 (beast), but when pronounced inoshishi, it means wild boar.
No, the game uses ししの紋章, so no Kanji, it's written in hiragana.
IMO Nikea's rune should be a boar rune, too.
But then the Japanese Suikoden team messed up. Maybe they just remembered that the rune is called "shishi" and assumed it is written in kanji.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Several words are usually written in hiragana, although there is a kanji for it. I think that しし in S1 is associated with 猪 (wild boar), all other kanji for shishi make less sense, but I can't tell whether the S5 team made a mistake by transcribing it to 獅子 (Lion) or whether they did it intentionally.

In the english version, is Nikea's rune really called boar rune? In that case the english translation team must have been very familiar to S1. Not bad. Anyway, a brief note about Nikea's rune being called "Lion Rune" in the japanese original wouldn't be amiss, because otherwise, as Antimatzist mentioned, we're suggesting that the japanese S5 team made a mistake.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes, Nikea's Rune is translated as Boar Rune in the English version of the game. It really is confusing if you think about it. Maybe Konami realized their mistake in the Japanese version and told the English translation team that it should be Boar Rune? I guess we will never know.

The German version translated Nikea's rune as "Löwen-Rune" which is "Lion Rune", this is one of many translations that made me think that the German translation is based of the Japanese original, and not a translation of an English version.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Antimatzist wrote:The German version translated Nikea's rune as "Löwen-Rune" which is "Lion Rune", this is one of many translations that made me think that the German translation is based of the Japanese original, and not a translation of an English version.
On the other hand they translated Ernst's rune the same way the english team did by simply calling it beast rune and thus causing confusion with the true rune of the same name. In Japanese, the true rune is called 獣の紋章 (beast rune) while Ernst's rune is called 獣魔の紋章, which means beast demon rune ("demon" in terms of an evil spirit that haunts a person).
This is probably a more appropriate thread for this discussion: "runes and their (mis)translations", located in the settings section.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Antimatzist wrote:I know this info is taken from the Official Prima Guida - but unless it has been changed in the PAL-Version, it's wrong:

In Suikoden Tactics, you cannot find a Cyclone Rune at a dig spot at Port Merseto - instead, you find a Gale Rune. I just tried it two times (I tried S-Ranking AND digging it, because I thought the Cyclone Rune was worth it) but... no. It's a simple Gale Rune.

Just wasted a good 2 hours of my life on this (and couldn't even S Rank it. Well, when you neglect the second dig spot, it is easy)
Fixed.