[Runes List] Discussion & Bug Reports

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
User avatar
Celes
Global Admin
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:25 pm

[Runes List] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Celes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:18 pm

Runes Listing

  • Compare all runes of the suiko universe. Look up how they evolve during all games they participate in, which were changed due to gameplay reasons or story issues, which re-appear at later games and how rare they are in each game when it comes to collecting.
  • All runes I can think of are listed, may it be true runes, minor stat modifiers or ones only relevant in the story.
  • Runes are sorted in Magic, Command, Effect, Special (story only) and Pieces.
  • Articles support the runes in several questions, including relationships to the suiko universe, gameplay tips, rarities etc.
  • Official images can be found, that is if any exist.
  • The gameplay charts are made from the scratch by testing recently and lists I made myself long ago. Only a small part is taken from info we had already on the site and in the forums. I did a lot of testing with elements and functionality of spells and effects in the games for that. Even some in-game descriptions were flawed (in particular in S2 ...), you'll find the correct information in here.
  • Gameplay information is as accurate as possible. There are only a few white spots when it was hard to detect a precise number (like percentages of some effects not given in the game itself).
  • Includes all effects, sources and wielders.
  • Trying to collect all runes in every game? This will definitely make your life easier!

Please post your opinions, comments and corrections :)

User avatar
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:38 am

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Raww Le Klueze » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Why isn't Cedric on the True Holy Rune page?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.

Iesous
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:44 am

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Iesous » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:51 pm

I haven't looked at a lot, but I'll comment on a few things.

A further comment beyond Raww's question: I think it's a little wrong to call the True Holy Rune the parent of the Holy Rune. I think it would be more correct to call it a higher tiered version of the Holy Rune, in the same way that the Rage Rune didn't parent the Fire Rune, it's just more powerful. The only other time that you have authentic Parent runes is with True Runes. Calling the True Holy Rune a parent associates it with a true rune.

On a more general note, some grammar editing could be done. Perhaps another admin or someone you know really well could help you proof read it, or ask multiple people to divide the work and do certain sections.

Other than what I've said, I like the idea and the mechanics of the database.

User avatar
Oppenheimer
Global Admin
Posts: 2860
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: ON, Canada

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Oppenheimer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:42 pm

I really love all the little details like the picture of the treasure chest and the furry for drops, plus the symbols for all the slots!

I was thinking about the Rune of Punishment. I heard on the forums that when you get all 108 stars that you don't recieve any of the negative effects of the rune as well but I don't think this is actually true. In my one save in IV I have Snowe in my party and yet still suffer damage when I cast any of the spells. Is my game glitched or is this just a myth? Also, Everlasting Mercy doesn't heal HeroIV, just everyone else.

Tactics is right though, you suffer no negative effects in that game with HeroIV.

User avatar
Blutiger Engel
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Blutiger Engel » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Oppenheimer wrote:In my one save in IV I have Snowe in my party and yet still suffer damage when I cast any of the spells. Is my game glitched or is this just a myth? Also, Everlasting Mercy doesn't heal HeroIV, just everyone else.

You're right about the Everlasting Mercy, but about the negative effects, they stop occurring after the final scene with Leknaat, so even after you recruit Snowe, you have to the do the whole endgame set-up to enjoy the effects. I had some confusion about this as well a while ago, and that's simply because I was playing a different file that I was just screwing around on. So no, that's not a myth. It just doesn't occur until El-Eel, basically.

Celes, just wanted to say great job :) I haven't taken the time to thoroughly look through or anything, but from what I saw I didn't see any errors. It's a very nice addition to the site.

User avatar
Celes
Global Admin
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:25 pm

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Celes » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Why isn't Cedric on the True Holy Rune page?
Cedric is not playable, nor is his rune. So that's why it's not listed among the gameplay data.

Iesous wrote:I think it's a little wrong to call the True Holy Rune the parent of the Holy Rune. I think it would be more correct to call it a higher tiered version of the Holy Rune, in the same way that the Rage Rune didn't parent the Fire Rune, it's just more powerful.
I think in one of the games the higher elemental runes are called the parents, but I have to double check. Initially I created the info in form of "lines" (like: fire rune piece, fire rune, rage rune, true fire rune) which was a more adequate indication. More opinions on this?

You could be right about the Ture Holy Rune, though.

Iesous wrote:On a more general note, some grammar editing could be done. Perhaps another admin or someone you know really well could help you proof read it, or ask multiple people to divide the work and do certain sections.
I'm no native-speaker so I supposed there are errors left. We'll see if someone has the time to check it all. I appreciate any errors you can point out for me as well, of course. Please send me a PM with corrections if you like.

Oppenheimer wrote:I was thinking about the Rune of Punishment. [...] Also, Everlasting Mercy doesn't heal HeroIV, just everyone else.
I will look into this soon!

Blutigengel wrote:Celes, just wanted to say great job :) I haven't taken the time to thoroughly look through or anything, but from what I saw I didn't see any errors. It's a very nice addition to the site.
Thx :)

User avatar
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:38 am

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Raww Le Klueze » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:03 am

Cedric is not playable, nor is his rune.

Certainly his rune is playable in the same sense that Stallion and Cathari's are. It let's you run fast, only difference is it let's everybody run fast.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.

User avatar
Celes
Global Admin
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:25 pm

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Celes » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:56 am

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Certainly his rune is playable in the same sense that Stallion and Cathari's are. It let's you run fast, only difference is it let's everybody run fast.
Well, I know what you mean, but the difference here is that the quickening takes place ever since the time of recruitement, so it's rather a "castle service" than an effect of the rune which comes into play every time the character joins the party. You are certainly right that this is the work of the True Holy Rune. But in this case I had to list Joshuas Dragon Rune in the gameplay data as well, for example. The gameplay sheets are for runes you can use only.

Antimatzist
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany, yeah baby
Contact:

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Antimatzist » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:52 pm

CelesDestiny wrote:
Raww Le Klueze wrote:Why isn't Cedric on the True Holy Rune page?
Cedric is not playable, nor is his rune. So that's why it's not listed among the gameplay data.

He's playable in Suikoden Tactics.

And, well, Cedric's Rune doesn't do anything in Suikoden IV, does it? You can run fast right in the beginning of the game by pressing R1 iirc.

Iesous
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:44 am

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Iesous » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 pm

After recruiting Cedric, you can run even faster. He puts a comment in the comment box that talks about him making everyone in the group faster. But unlike the other games, you don't have to have him in your party.

Antimatzist
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany, yeah baby
Contact:

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Antimatzist » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:33 am

Iesous wrote:After recruiting Cedric, you can run even faster. He puts a comment in the comment box that talks about him making everyone in the group faster. But unlike the other games, you don't have to have him in your party.

What? Really? Well, I did NEVER notice that. You run ridicolously fast by pressing R1 anyway, so I never bothered...

User avatar
patapi
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2515
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:55 pm

Re: [Runes Listing] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby patapi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:58 pm

The ridiculously fast part came from Cedric. The speed is quite normal prior to his recruitment, to me.

Speaking of Cedric, since the gameplay data are strictly for playable characters, wouldn't it be OK to add him as a bearer inside the introduction text instead? Alongside Stallion and Cathari, those three are the only known bearers of this almost unique rune.

CelesDestiny wrote:
Iesous wrote:I think it's a little wrong to call the True Holy Rune the parent of the Holy Rune. I think it would be more correct to call it a higher tiered version of the Holy Rune, in the same way that the Rage Rune didn't parent the Fire Rune, it's just more powerful.
I think in one of the games the higher elemental runes are called the parents, but I have to double check. Initially I created the info in form of "lines" (like: fire rune piece, fire rune, rage rune, true fire rune) which was a more adequate indication. More opinions on this?

I second the "higher order" name. The going assumption is that the True Holy/Godspeed and others like it (Great Firefly) are comparable to Rage/Flowing/etc, so that classification seems more fitting.

Rune parenthood seems to be exclusively used to desribe the link between the more common runes with their originating True Runes?

Antimatzist
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany, yeah baby
Contact:

Re: [Runes List] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Antimatzist » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:23 am

There are two entrys for the Swallow Rune. Do they have different names in the japanese version or is it a mistake?

User avatar
Celes
Global Admin
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:25 pm

Re: [Runes List] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Celes » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 am

They are indeed different runes.

User avatar
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:38 am

Re: [Runes List] Discussion & Bug Reports

Postby Raww Le Klueze » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

Celes wrote:They are indeed different runes.

Really? How do we figure that?

In Suikoden II and V it's つばめの紋章, in Tactics it's 燕の紋章, but the つばめ II and V are only the hiragana spelling of Tactics kanji. It reads tsubame no monshu in both versions.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.


Return to “Website Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests