Why are some good PS1 RPGs that are on the PSP still expensi

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
EternalOnslaught

Why are some good PS1 RPGs that are on the PSP still expensi

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I can understand a little why Suikoden I & II are still ridicliously expensive. But today I search amazon(shopping for I & II) that I found Valkyrie Profile, the PS1 version for around $498. The official guide comes with it, but that still asking too much for a game I got for $19.99 for the PSP at Wal-mart. Anyone else finds this disturbing? I bet Star Ocean 2 will still be expensive when it is re-release.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
warmaster670

Re: Why are some good PS1 RPGs that are on the PSP still expensi

Post by warmaster670 »

More people have ps1s than PSPs, and there also collectors items.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The Valkyrie Profile game is a very bad example, so would Final Fantasy Tactics be (though it's not as rare).

Here's why: Valkyrie Profile on the PSP is actually a port of the Japanese version of the game. That version had extra problems that were fixed in the overseas versions.
Both FFT and VP have extra problems added, namely in gameplay: The PSP versions of each game are badly done ports, causing slowdown in-game. VP is a problem with the port being so badly done it maxes the PSP (changing the processor speed fixes it somewhat) while FFT had intentionally bugged up the play speeds of special attacks, causing them to default at 75-50% their original speed.

So yeah, bad porting/remaking and bad marketing caused the games to not affect sales prices for both games. Suikoden 1 & 2 fixed and enhanced the two games, so its release over here would probably have helped lower prices due to the number of people who probably wouldn't want/need the game anymore for PS1.
Formerly known as: Gothann
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

The NA version of VP is superior and actually harder(when you have to fight Barbarossa, since he likes cast his great magic in the NA version) But seriously, I still wouldn't pay that much for it. Is VP actually more expensive than SII now?
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Shazam

Post by Shazam »

Sheesh, VP going for that much? Thats crazy. When I see it it's usually around 100 something.
And FFT isn't exspensive anymore it use to go for a lot but they reprinted it.

And I personally like to own the original PS1 version, but I just like to collect rare games like that. And if people don't have a PSP it would be cheaper for them to just buy the game then get a PSP just to play it.