Your biggest ingame screwup.

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Ben_ZeN

Your biggest ingame screwup.

Post by Ben_ZeN »

What's the biggest screwup you ever made in a game? Thought it could prove to be an interesting topic. :D

Mine actually occured two hours ago. I was playing Suikoden I, about to go Shazarazade (or w/e), checked my SoD four times to make sure I already got all aside from Sonya. Shazarazade done, take a break, have dinner, come back. I head up to the meeting room (you can already guess where this is going wrong), and follow the events. I'm guessing Gremio's resurrection would come at a later time, so I just keep playing on, arranging equipment between characters before I go into the final battle, I >>>SAVE<<< go to the basement for teleportation and see Sonya in the prison cell.

I had been playing for three days focusing on getting the good ending...I literally shouted OH NO YOU STUPID B****. Ah weel what's done is done. :cry:
"All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf
Mio
Banned User

Re: Your biggest ingame screwup.

Post by Mio »

chin up and find the motivation to play the game again

mine was when i first played SII (first for the enitre series)

well a noob of the noobs, i was just playing through the game unaware of the 108 SoD

but my most screwup is to forget recruiting Mukumuku at Kyaro since after leaving Kyaro you'll miss him until you've almost finished the game

causing you to miss the Forgiver Sign requirement

it took me 7-8 repeats before i actually completed all 108

(internet wasn't as big back then so infos were all from hearsay)
Zozma

Post by Zozma »

haha... i did that sonya thing once too but i just gsed him back to life and replayed the endboss....
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

@Mio
Haha, the same thing happened to me!

at my first gameplays we(my siblings) have NO idea where Sid's hideout or Rokkaku is until I discovered it (yeah!!!) and went screaming like crazy! of course, my siblings acted like it's nothing important (*mumble*darn you envious siblings*mumble*).

My ignorance about the internet accompanied woth the addiction to SII made me repeat the game more than 10x doing the same things all over again. Then the game got busted-- a pirated CD. I just completed the stars on psx emulator with the tutelage of the internet.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Ben_ZeN

Post by Ben_ZeN »

I think I replayed Suikoden II around ten times as well in the old days. I didn't really care all that much about getting all SoDs back then but it was just for funsies I suppose lol.
"All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

My first time playing Suikoden (I actually played the second game first, strangely enough), I had 107 SoDs without even knowing it (had no idea what the Stone Tablet was for), and ended up missing Sonya because I didn't know you could enter the jail cell (I thought she would attack or something!).

Yeah, so I definitely understand where you are coming from, Ben_ZeN.

My biggest screwup, at least in my most recent playthrough, was in the first game again. I saved right before the first battle with Teo (where you automatically lose), and went about getting the fire spears, recruiting people in Kirov, etc., and eventually got to the point where McDohl duels Teo. Thinking McDohl was good to go (highest level weapon possible, good level, good equipment), I went ahead and dueled Teo, and lost. Looking for a save, it turns out that I most recent one was from before the first fight with Teo.

Lost about 3 hours or so.

I don't think I've ever messed up to the extent that I would have to start over again if I wanted to fix it, like what happened to you.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

What sucks for me is my first play through I got all 108 stars without internet (wheres the fun looking it all up?) and guess what....didn't know you could revive Gremio, may have got them a bit late though but I don't know. Suikoden 2 was the first I played.....then I got all excited when I saw Suikoden 3 on the back of my uncle's Contra case....waited till it came out bought it then got 4 and a really really rare/good miracle happened...my friend happened to know what Suikoden is and didn't care for it and mentioned he had one of them back at his house and it ended up being the first one so I got really lucky and it was only $5!
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

screwed over my first attempt to use the time reset code to complete the Clive Quest (i ain't no speed-player, there's no way i'd try to do it legitimately!). i was good until i reached Sajah Village. i hadn't reset the time in a long long time (since the previous Clive-Elza spot was Muse and it didn't have a time limit. i think i was already past 20 hours and i entered Sajah without thinking, just to pick up items. i saved over my previous save slot, and then realized i may have screwed up the Clive quest... i reset my game time and to confirm that i did blow it.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The topic doesn't say what your biggest Suikoden screw up was so I'm goign to post one from a different game.

I had RPG Maker for the PS1. I had created a massive RPG that actually took up two memory cards (they have an option of telling you to switch cards midway through as if it was a disc switch). I had something rediculious like 300 hours spent creating this thing over the span of a couple years.

What happened? Well, I was on my way to create the epic final dungeon and wanted to double check the transition section first (where you swapped memory cards). Not thinking I put in the 1st card and said yes to "overwrite this data" . . . but I did it with the 2nd card's info! So I lost about 250 hours of work. I wasn't about to redo it so I think I ended up just deleting the second half's data.

No one actually got to play my game *snif snif*. I actually created a sequel to it on computer (where it can't be deleted) which is ironic since the original game doesn't even exist anymore.
Repner

Post by Repner »

Oppenheimer wrote:The topic doesn't say what your biggest Suikoden screw up was so I'm goign to post one from a different game.

I had RPG Maker for the PS1. I had created a massive RPG that actually took up two memory cards (they have an option of telling you to switch cards midway through as if it was a disc switch). I had something rediculious like 300 hours spent creating this thing over the span of a couple years.

What happened? Well, I was on my way to create the epic final dungeon and wanted to double check the transition section first (where you swapped memory cards). Not thinking I put in the 1st card and said yes to "overwrite this data" . . . but I did it with the 2nd card's info! So I lost about 250 hours of work. I wasn't about to redo it so I think I ended up just deleting the second half's data.

No one actually got to play my game *snif snif*. I actually created a sequel to it on computer (where it can't be deleted) which is ironic since the original game doesn't even exist anymore.
I've been considering trying that out actually. Any good?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Was the game I made any good? Or is RPG Maker for the PS1 any good? Or is RPGMaker2000 for the computer any good?
Repner

Post by Repner »

Sorry, I mean RPG Maker for the PC

EDIT: Oops
Last edited by Repner on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Ah. I've never played that particular program. I used RPG Maker 2000 which was a bit of a learning curve and the graphics were pretty primitive but it was still fun.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

Oppenheimer wrote:Ah. I've never played that particular program. I used RPG Maker 2000 which was a bit of a learning curve and the graphics were pretty primitive but it was still fun.
i played your game awhile ago and just left you a pm about your game because i didnt want to go too off-topic here.

but i also had a problem with rpg maker psx. actually it was more my cheap memory card that went dead (yeah, i'd never seen a memory card actually go dead before, but of course it has to be the card that held my half-finished game).
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Repner wrote:Sorry, I mean RPG Gamer for the PC
Talking with Amelia made me wonder if I should start a new RPG with a PC maker, however, I would need a more modern one then RPG Maker 2000 (RPG Maker can't even use MP3s so I put in giant wav files instead which made the file giantic). Plus the graphics are getting a bit antiquated.

Anyway, my point is, where do you get this RPG Gamer game? I've never heard of it. Can I download it somewhere?