Finally, a huge RPG for the PS3, coming.

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Redheim

Re: Finally, a huge RPG for the PS3, coming.

Post by Redheim »

I honestly don't care for the FF series at all. The only ones I lke are XII, tactics, and VII is ok.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

LanceHeart wrote:I'm a fan of the story in FFXII because it wasn't the average "You're a hero, save the world" we're used to from all of the FF games
I admit I didn't finish it but, wasn't it exactly that? You're a bunch of average people but you must become heroes and save the world from evil. It seemed like a generic plot to me. Vaan wasn't any less original of a non-hereo than Zidane.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Oppenheimer wrote:
LanceHeart wrote:I'm a fan of the story in FFXII because it wasn't the average "You're a hero, save the world" we're used to from all of the FF games
I admit I didn't finish it but, wasn't it exactly that? You're a bunch of average people but you must become heroes and save the world from evil. It seemed like a generic plot to me. Vaan wasn't any less original of a non-hereo than Zidane.
Sounds kinda like almost all of the Sukoden games...
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

But it doesn't have 108 characters or war battles and Kujo was the only descent narcissist, so it's not as good ;o)

Also Suikoden's story is superior because of the rune aspect is really tightly written. FF usually has the crystals but they're not as iconic and pervasive as in Suikoden lore.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Oppenheimer wrote:
While I'll have to tag *SPOILERS*, most people won't understand the spoilers unless they played the game, anyway.

Vaan was the weakest point of the cast, with Penelo being second weakest due to her being closely involved with him. Short of them, the rest of the party is heavily intertwined. Vaan and Penelo even become secondary characters by the time you get halfway through the main story...

By the time you reach your first meeting with the Occuria, you find out you're actually doing the opposite from every main Final Fantasy game ever: You're helping the oppressive beings, not fighting for freedom. Upon finishing the game you basically rid the world of a tyrant, but at the cost of all races having free will upon their existence. (the paradox of that statement is unraveled by that time)

As I said, the main plot wasn't the best part of the game, but rather the plethora of additional information you could get on the Ivalice timeline and geography. Let's not forget to mention the numerous tie-ins with every game set in Ivalice (FFT, Vagrant Story, FFTA...)
Formerly known as: Gothann
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

ahh! this turned into an ff thread... but about the original game this thread was supposed to be about... what games is this mashing up? i can tell darkstalkers and disgaea, but that's it.