Finally, a huge RPG for the PS3, coming.

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Occam Arkitect

Finally, a huge RPG for the PS3, coming.

Post by Occam Arkitect »

http://kotaku.com/387992/capcom-nippon- ... -wet-dream

We're talking about those nice games and companies up there!

Sorry, no Suikoden news.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, kinda reminds me really of Namco cross Capcom, which DIDN'T get outside Japan.
freshmetal

Re: Finally, a huge RPG for the PS3, coming.

Post by freshmetal »

Looks interesting. To bad it probably won't make it to the U.S. Even if it did though, I'd probably pass on it. I need an RPG, but not a mash-up of all female characters.
PSN: FreshMetal80
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Actually FFXIII would blow this out of the water, now that would be the true definitive RPG for the PS3.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

FFXII is the best numbered FF so far. Hands down. It's going to take a lot for FFXIII to beat it.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Repner

Post by Repner »

I really wasn't into XII at all to be honest.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

WHAT? That game is so non-linear, and incredibly in depth about everything. Hard boss battles, long story, great fun factor, replay value, what's not to like?
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I love FF12 and not only because Balthier. . .although he plays a huge role in why I love it so much :D

Also, I can't wait til the PS3 gets a RPG that I like. These releases take far too long. ..

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

My bad.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Redheim wrote:WHAT? That game is so non-linear, and incredibly in depth about everything. Hard boss battles, long story, great fun factor, replay value, what's not to like?
I noticed how you didn't say "great story", coinicidence? While it is a fun game, the story is pretty lacking especially for a Final Fantasy and well, the character development is also lacking. Theres barely any dialog between the characters and when there is its fairly short, like a few sentences, and then once there is you won't get any until much farther in the game, it just felt empty half the time. Then theres the typical blank state, every character is practically the same even down to their stats, they were like carbon copies. I agree with you about everything else except for it being in-depth about everything which I already covered. I don't really agree with the replay value either, I'm not sure I'd want to go through all those mind-numbing hours of collecting a SINGLE piece of armour again.

Overall, if you want to play a game with massive amounts of gameplay go for FFXII, if you want a game for the story go for FFX or Suikoden, or practically any other RPG, though I always hated how in FFX, it felt like such a long line you were on and didn't stop until much later in the game to do any sidequests (in which sucked anyway), the cutscenes often were boring as well but the story was great, often felt like a woman's game but nevertheless great and in-depth.

And, sphere grid>>>>>>license board.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

I totally agree with your opinion on the story, it is lacking in a very fundamental element in an RPG, a good plot/story. At some times the game may be aa little borinng because of it. I really don't know why I love FFXII so much, seeing that story is my favorite aspect in EVERY RPG. But FFXII picks up in fun factor, and depth in many systems. So I love it. ^_^
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Only reason I like it is mostly due to the fact that it provides massive gameplay and exploration. It's a unique factor to take into account that you could start exploring the world even right at the start of the game, the hunts are dull and repetative sometimes but some of them I thought were fun. But I like it mostly because its sidequests and gameplay/exploration, and the ability to cause some serious havoc when you finally be able to get great weapons in armour but that can be said for all the RPG's that I play.

I just really don't like the "MMORPG" approach they took with this, sane people don't want to go and spend countless hours running back and forth between chests collecting armours and weapons only to not get any or get maybe 1 single piece at the most or even if they do get lots of the items, it still took far too long then it needed to be. This game is mostly all about luck and luck only.
eternal_sins

Post by eternal_sins »

Hey. . it Etna and Prinny from Disgaea. .
Memori cinta berbunga
Pun menghinggap di ingatan
Seperti sang merpati di dahan
Puas sudah ku berusha
Ku melupakan segalanya
Namun senyum mu masih... ada...

-Merpati

Sang By: Hady Mirza
Winner Of Singapore Idol 2
www.hady-mirza.com
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Redheim wrote:WHAT? That game is so non-linear, and incredibly in depth about everything. Hard boss battles, long story, great fun factor, replay value, what's not to like?
FFXII is the only FF I didn't finish (and I even finished FFX-2). It was that boring. It reminded me of FFI. No plot "That guy's wearing a black helmet, he must be bad, get him!", lots of random wandering. "

I think FF has been going downhill every since VII. I don't think I'll even get FFXIII and I have a PS3 already. I have no faith in Squeenix any longer.

I have no idea what this "fun factor"is because I certainly never experienced it. I wouldn't want to replay this game so replay value is irrelavent, I can't even get through it once. I just wanted to get through it so I can say I beat every FF but with the hard boss battles and grinding required before beating them I can't even do that. So I gave up on it.

On the other hand I heard Crisis Core has an actual plot of some value. Maybe it'll be the last thing to redeem Squeenix in my eyes. If I can bring myself to give them another chance.

P.S. Balthier was the only highlight of the game
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The problem with FFXII is that the story became awesome late into the game. What's more, it shares the traditional Matsuno-esque style of having the game's history fleshed out through optional stuff; there's just so much optional things to do that flesh out the history of the game and tie it into FFT that it's uncanny.

Had they pushed some of the more important plot twists and political intrigue earlier in the game, they could have concentrated on making the game have epic storyline progression past that point.

I'm a fan of the story in FFXII because it wasn't the average "You're a hero, save the world" we're used to from all of the FF games and the world of Ivalice's history spans many thousands of years.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Actually the plot was about as basic as you can get with an RPG, "Evil Empire trying to sieze power,gang of unlikely heroes band together to stop them". Not to mention the plot just plodding along, I kept waiting for the climax to the game...but it never came, the sad thing is in the game there were many plots lines and areas of intrigue that were hinted at, but was never fully explored.

SE spent too little time on the plot for FXII, and too much time on trying to cram as many sidequests as possible into a game that for the most part had a very basic plot, and flat mundane characters.

I agree with Oppenheimer though, Balthier was one of the bright spots in the game, i'll also throw in Cid as well, about the only two people in the game with some personality.

P.S. If SE wants to make a great Final Fantasy game again, they are going to have to come up with better lead protaginists. Squall was angst ridden and emo, Zidane was a horny monkey thing, Tidus acted like a child, and Vaan was a butt pirate.