Other War RPG games like Suikoden?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Silver Dragon Flik

Other War RPG games like Suikoden?

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

I love Suikoden because of the deep and interesting war stories that aren't about saving the world.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Other War RPG games like Suikoden?

Post by KFCrispy »

I recently played Growlanser V and it's about an isolated continent and revolves around political situations, and I read that VI is a sequel that involves the lands outside of the main continent.

Growlanser V had some good points such as the gameplay (I've been advocating Suikoden can take this gameplay and make it really interesting with its unique character traits and abilities), but the dialogue often sucked and the characters weren't developed well.... the endings are really simple/short/boring as well.
Silver Dragon Flik

Unfortunately they didn't come out in Europe...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

So, Growlanser V wasn't that good after all? I was hoping for better, after having enjoyed Growlanser II as much as I did.

As for wartime-centric RPGs, I'd recommend Fire Emblem. It's a strategy RPG though, but its play on the theme of politics is pretty decent.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

I didn't enjoy Growlanser V as much as I did with II and III but it was a pretty good game nevertheless in my opinion.

But I dont really have any good "let's no save the world" RPG that comes to my mind... Proof that this formula have been overused.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Growlanser V was my first time playing a Growlanser game and it was a good experience, but you realize early on that 1. the dialogue (or is it the translation...) is not going to amaze you whatsoever and 2. the story is overly predictable.
Silver Dragon Flik

Besides Vandal Hearts II I can't think of any others. Really the save the world thing is overused.