Has anyone played the JP versions of S1, S2?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Occam Arkitect

Has anyone played the JP versions of S1, S2?

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I don't know where to put this one up, so I don't mind if this one is moved.

Anyway, I recently got my Genso Suikoden (JP1) for the PS, and my GS2 is on the way. Are there any information about changes or adjustments I have to make when using a NA guide?

Also, I just had this old Metal Gear Solid version (PS), and I was surprised that it had a third disc, a Genso Suikoden 2 DEMO! I'm gonna post something about it here next time, I searched the demo in this boards, nothing came up.

My reason for playing the JP versions is because I just got past Level 1 in Japanese. Yeah, it's a start, but Hiragana and Katakana is not really a prob anymore.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Has anyone played the JP versions of S1, S2?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I searched the demo in this boards, nothing came up.
Because it's not worth mentioning as it is nothing special.

And no there aren't any changes in the games except for O and X buttons being swapped.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I think it's because almost no one has the demo, not that it isn't "special".

I take that as a "casual gamer" point of view.

What I'm actually seeking for are details like, is there a bug when transferring McDohl's name into GS2 (like the english versions), do easter eggs like "Dahlia Gillespie" exist since then, Matilda glitch, and lots of stuff aside from the "durr, eks replaced by curcle buton".
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Ok, I have just finished GS1.

Gremio, Pahn and Cleo all call Hero1, "Bo-chan", which is an informal way to say "Master". You are only allowed to use informal structures if you are close enough to that person, as far as I know in Japanese grammar thingies.

I'd say the sentences/dialogue are translated "okay", except of course for "Bits" and stuff. Milich's plant was still called "Antoinette", and the towns he nicknamed into names like "Bier Blanche" are translated correctly. Stuff like that are translated okay, but I was wondering about Sarah, because her name was in fact "Seira" in the JP version. <- Oh well, not a big thing anyway.

Also, Zorak's soldiers are kinda funny. In the US versions, they always have "Yuck" at the end of their sentences (meaning, they're possessed by Neclord?) if you talk to them. In the JP version, they always say "Hoi" at the end of their lines.

What I'm actually surprised to hear is the Japanese chorale song at the ending credits, I never heard of it when I played the English version...or was just inattentive back then?

Well, just wanted to post it here, even if this info's already somewhere...I'm on my way to the GS2 demo and the actual game itself. Sorry if this kinda looks like a blog.. :oops:
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

What I forgot is, the main menu of GS1 is different, it's just a plain black background with the title, instead of the English version's watery background. Also, it's my first time seeing Juppo's final weapon name, Metal Gear, lol...