What do you do for a living?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
rhombus

Re: What do you do for a living?

Post by rhombus »

I do what every failed or aspiring writer does, I edit. At this point I still fall into the aspiring category, thankfully, but if I'm still doing this in 10 years, you can stick a fork in me =P But yeah... I'm an assistant editor, though I do a bit too much proofreading and administrative crap and bit too little actual EDITING for my taste. (I hate telling people what I do on message boards these days cause it invariably leads to people being like, "you really edit and proofread? You missed a comma there! You spelled that word wrong!" blah blah blah... I leave all that crap at the office.)
Erk in danger!
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I work in a retail cash and carry (yawn). A warehouse/shop that sells bulk items to shop owners. The hours are usualy 06:00 - 17:00 (although half day Friday) so I don't have much time for Suikoden :( ..or any games for that matter.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

I'm not even sure if I AM living.......

But I'm still a student.....(can't wait to stop procrastinating and crawl out from under this rock......then become a manga-ka....ka.....ka....ka......ka........)
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

Im a scummy glass collector trying to think of somethin to do with my life. with no ambitions.. Haha im not emo or anythin just struglin ya no how it is..
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
Arun Nicklen

Post by Arun Nicklen »

I'm an apprentice spraypainter who likes to hide in dark shadows and say "... "
Then hit hollyboys as they walk around the corner looking for me :twisted:
'Bring back suikoden II graphics'
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Michael Easton wrote:
RangerDeon wrote:I'm a student. No job yet.
Aaah to be a student again - no cares in the world other than passing modules and not having to work or pay taxes. Those were the days :) ....

Anyway, these days I'm a purchasing administrator for a company that's in the automotive aftermarket. The money isn't bad; I like the people I work with; the job is a 10 minute drive from where I live and it is in the line of work I want to do.

However...

I'm a little bit unhappy to be honest; I was hired as a purchasing administrator but I'm doing a buyer's job, which pays more but since I've been hired as an admin I don't get the money. Not only that but I'm not really receiving any training or a job description for a buying role, meaning that I'm trying to do a job that I'm not really trained for and have no clue as to what I can and can't do. It's frustrating to say the least.
I've been fired from this job. Apparently I wasn't doing the buying role to the boss' satisfaction, which is a good enough reason to let someone go except that in my case I wasn't hired as a buyer and no one told me that I officially was the buyer. How exactly am I supposed to do a job if the boss never told me to do it? The only thing I'll miss from that place is a couple of the people I worked with and the steady source of income.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Full time student at University in Social Working. I want to work in the Youth Protection Department. But I'm still working 20 to 30h a week as a Cook in a cute little Cafe-ish place.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

I am a Airman in the USAF. I'm going to school right now but when I'm done I will be a ground radio tech.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I'm a classically trained Chef and I work at the Hilton Hotel in Houston(one of many) as a Line Cook and Banquet Cook. I also perform the jobs required of a pastry cook from time to time as well.
I hope everything is going delicious.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Michael Easton wrote:I've been fired from this job. Apparently I wasn't doing the buying role to the boss' satisfaction, which is a good enough reason to let someone go except that in my case I wasn't hired as a buyer and no one told me that I officially was the buyer. How exactly am I supposed to do a job if the boss never told me to do it? The only thing I'll miss from that place is a couple of the people I worked with and the steady source of income.
Sorry to hear, dude. You probably should have talked about the problem with your manager earlier though!!
Angelis_Taleria wrote:I'm a classically trained Chef and I work at the Hilton Hotel in Houston(one of many) as a Line Cook and Banquet Cook. I also perform the jobs required of a pastry cook from time to time as well.
yay! if i ever go there you're gonna make me some food!

i got promoted in December but haven't been doing anything different and didn't know what my new (or old) job description was... so i ended speaking to my manager's manager about some things.. really good talk. i know now that i shouldn't be afraid to push my ideas and try to take a leadership role in getting my ideas implemented. in the past i've been giving my manager ideas so he can talk about it with upper management if he actually remembers and if he has a meeting for that sort of thing... and then it might get done eventually.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

KFCrispy wrote:
Michael Easton wrote:I've been fired from this job. Apparently I wasn't doing the buying role to the boss' satisfaction, which is a good enough reason to let someone go except that in my case I wasn't hired as a buyer and no one told me that I officially was the buyer. How exactly am I supposed to do a job if the boss never told me to do it? The only thing I'll miss from that place is a couple of the people I worked with and the steady source of income.
Sorry to hear, dude. You probably should have talked about the problem with your manager earlier though!!
You're probably right about talkin to the boss but I'm still glad that I'm not there anymore as there simply wasn't any job security. The owner would fire people for totally random reasons - for instance, on the day I left one of the reception girls got fired for using the phone when she shouldn't have. Fair enough, she shouldn't have used the phone but that totally sucks as a reason to fire someone.

Anyway, I've got a new job starting on Monday so :D
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah that boss sounds like an ass
Zhuge Liang

Post by Zhuge Liang »

I work as relationship manager at Citibank. They hired me at the first place because they want somebody who can do dirty work that they can pay for lousy salary. Now since I grew more important, I got myself better and better position after few years. Well...not bad.
Zhuge Liang
Prime Minister of Shu-Han
BClassicWulf

Post by BClassicWulf »

I started a record label, and produce/engineer audio...although I have a certified professional/expert in the adobe design programs...It's a great career...not gonna lie.
Jim13Crimson

Post by Jim13Crimson »

I went to Art college with such dreams and aspirations of becoming an artist but alas it was not ment to be as i dropped out in my second year of uni and trained in welding n stuff.
How do you go from art to weldin i donno im abit random and the heavymetal monster in me said i should join bits of metaaaaaal tegether with electric fire...mmm fiiiire...may of made me abit of a pyromaniac :twisted: but it pays well (when u can find somebody to hire you) and i get to play with fire for a living, plus i can go back to art anytime in my life and mebe weld sculptures n what not...finnish uni...become like the guy that designs album cover art for cool bands...meh i can dream. 8)