JRPGs for X360

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

JRPGs for X360

Post by KFCrispy »

Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, and now.. Lost Odyssey...
i saw one clip of a random battle of Lost Odyssey and it took like 5 minutes to do 2 rounds. you gotta be kidding me... how can people play this kind of game? not to mention some attacks require button timing just to make it effective... way too much work for a standard attack for a simple battle that should be over within 30 seconds or less. this game's intro to the random battle already takes over 30 seconds.... i wouldn't be able to get very far in this game.

Blue Dragon was also pretty lame when i saw a battle clip. it seems every attack requires a mini-game for button timing that i wouldn't have the patience for when doing random battles. boss battles? okay... but EVERY freakin minor fight? NO. unplayable.

Eternal Sonata looks fun, and watching the vids i was kind of interested in getting it (for 360 or PS3, depending on what system i get in the future). however i did get to play a little of it at a store and the battle actions were way too repetitive and simple. when you have that kind of battle system, it should be a lot more fun.... it LOOKED a lot more fun than playing it. i probably will just forget about this game by the time i get a next-gen system.

Enchanted Arms (also came out for PS3) has some grid thing that makes the battles look a little interesting (uses a grid movement system..... i guess kinda like Mega Man Battle Network lol). of course this might make random battles take a little time, but you can skip most animations and probably just atk atk atk for the simple fights. however i read reviews and most people say this is a pretty bad game.
mhatter106

Re: JRPGs for X360

Post by mhatter106 »

It'd seem to me, though I dont want to turn this into a system war thread, that for rpg's, the ps3 would be a better bet than the 360, just due to the fact that the japanese market doesn't seem to bite at the xbox consoles and the best rpgs tend to come out of japan. not saying the 360 is bad, cuz its totally sweet on fps. then again the wii may take all the rpg business in the end. who knows.

is eternal sonata random battle?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

eternal sonata has battles when you run into enemies on the map. so at times you can avoid them completely.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Button timing? Are those the kind that Shadow Hearts series have, or more like beat-em-up games?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Shadow Hearts looks like it has button timing (something moves around and you want to press it when it's aligned with something else to get the optimal result for your attack)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance has it but it's at an acceptable minimal amount (only a few times during a few "large" boss battles)
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

button timing isnt to bad, as long as its not hard like legend of dragoon was.

at least i remember it being really hard
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Legend of Dragoon was hard?

At least Shadow Hearts allowed us to customise the dial to our heart contents, choosing the right balance between timing combination and damage output.
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

Remember Legend of Dragoon, damn the timing was hard. It´s just gets annoying after a while. Another game comes to mind is legaia or something like it. It was like a beat em up rpg, and it was really tough. I like the classic turn based rpg´s the most.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

patapi wrote:Legend of Dragoon was hard?
oh ya, just try going back to it after a long break and youll see what i mean.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Only hard part for me on Legend of Dragoon was Rose's final attack, would be lucky if I nailed it 1 out of 5 times, rest were easy.

The 360 does seem to lack quality rpg's, but so did the original X-Box, although shouldn't say quality, more like an abundance of rpg's and most that were on it were either not very good or you could get on another system. X-Box only as a couple good rpg franchises/developers atm, same with strategy games, that I would say is the X-Box's greatest failing, that and the fanboy's heh.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well i can't support the PS3 either so far. it looks like i'll be sticking with playing older games for a while... SNES/PSX/PS2 games.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Yeah, I own a Ps3, own a few games for it as well, NHL08, Bladestorm(awful game), Oblivion, Assassains Creed and I find myself playing more often than not my old ps2/ps1 games.

All of the big rpg's for X-Box are american made are they not? Fable, Jade Empire amd KotOR, I wonder if the relative success that the 360 is having in japan compared to the original X-Box will convince some japanese game companies to make some games for the 360.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Queens Knight wrote:I wonder if the relative success that the 360 is having in japan compared to the original X-Box will convince some japanese game companies to make some games for the 360.
I could see Japaneses developers wanting to make games for the global 360 market but not JRPG's. The install base is great, but not for the RPG gamer.
Pixelate

Post by Pixelate »

Well, the majority of JRPGS are made for the obvious, Japanese market. With the 360 selling very poorly in Japan, I doubt they'll ever really be much good.
Sure, some people will have a shot at making them, but with the general 360 market dominated by FPS, and the Japanese not being fond of the 360, I doubt they'll do well.
Rhin

Post by Rhin »

Lost Odyssey is a great game. I adore Suikoden and the Final Fantasy series the most (although not so much FF recently) so I was awaiting LO. It's not the BEST game out there but if you have a 360, you really do need to buy this game. Its completely traditional which will turn off a lot of players, but I've been playing RPG's since this was the in-thing so I loved it. As far as the button timing thing, it's basically useless. If you do manage to time it right, you get a small barely noticeable extra damage. For some, it increases the odds of a Status effect like Poison or Blind working. At first it is a little hard, but eventually you find yourself doing it naturally. All in all, I'm very happy with the game. I enjoyed Blue Dragon as well, but I'm only 5 hours into Eternal Sonata ^^