PS3 Memory Card Loading

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
shadowflay

PS3 Memory Card Loading

Post by shadowflay »

I have been trying to find out if it's possible to move Suikoden II data from a virtual PS1 card to a virtual PS2 card on the PS3 in order to load a completed save into Suikoden III.

That sounds kind of silly but I'm sure you know what I mean; if it's been addressed already I apologize for missing it. I get the feeling I'll need an actual PS2 to do it.
mhatter106

Re: PS3 Memory Card Loading

Post by mhatter106 »

shadowflay wrote:I have been trying to find out if it's possible to move Suikoden II data from a virtual PS1 card to a virtual PS2 card on the PS3 in order to load a completed save into Suikoden III.

That sounds kind of silly but I'm sure you know what I mean; if it's been addressed already I apologize for missing it. I get the feeling I'll need an actual PS2 to do it.
You shouldn't need to. Assign you virtual ps2 card as Slot 1 and your virtual ps1 card as slot 2. run S3 on your ps3 and then load the s2 data off of slot 2., but save your s3 games on slot 1.

Even if you do need the s2 data physically on a ps2 virtual card, you can transfer it within the ps3. In the XMB, Just go to your virtual ps1 card and find your s2 data. Press trinagle and choose copy, itll ask you where you want to copy it to. Choose your virtual ps2 card and voila its on your virtual ps2 card,
shadowflay

Post by shadowflay »

Right... except it doesn't let you. It only lets you choose the PS virtual cards to copy to. I haven't found a way to let me select a card from a different system either in the memory manager (your second way) or the game itself (your first way). Sorry for not clarifying that I already tried them.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

shadowflay wrote:Right... except it doesn't let you. It only lets you choose the PS virtual cards to copy to..
Isn't that what you wanted though?
shadowflay wrote:I have been trying to find out if it's possible to move Suikoden II data from a virtual PS1 card to a virtual PS2 card
or did you mean ps card as in ps1 card

in that case, if you had a memory card adapter you could move the ps1 data from the virtual ps1 card to a real ps2 or ps1 card and then move it from the real card to the virtual ps2 card
shadowflay

Post by shadowflay »

I see, maybe there's a piece of equipment.

I probably should have posted this in SIII gameplay after all, but it seems there's no way to do it normally.

To clarify, in the memory manager, if you try to copy from a PlayStation formatted virtual card it will only give you other PlayStation formatted virtual cards to choose from.

In Suikoden III, when you go to load data, it will only let you select PlayStation 2 formatted virtual cards. If you switch the mounting it will simply say there is no PS2 card in that slot (this is not surprising; the software behaves as expected).

I just wish you COULD switch out from a PS1 card to a PS2 card in the memory manager, but to be fair, S3's request of moving a PS1 save to a PS2 card is a tall order in that very few games would have you do such a thing.

Thanks anyway.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'm sure this problem will come up more often so it's being stickified.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I read online about PS3 shortcomings when I was trying to copy my games over using the memory card adaptor and they specifically mentioned Suikoden as having this issue. They said it's pretty much known to just not be doable. :( Not that you should give up or anything.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Yeah I just messed around with it a little bit and it'll only puit ps1 save data on a virtual ps1 card and ps2 save data on a virtual ps2 card, so when you run a ps2 game it can only access virtual ps2 cards which in turn only have ps2 save data.

Kind of sucks. Ordinarily, I'd say it's probably something that sony will correct in a future firmware update, but I doubt it's high on their list of things to patch. Like sflay said, how often is it that you need to have a ps1 game save data specifically on a ps2 memory card?

I have to say I was also a bit annoyed that I even had to buy a memory card adaptor to transfer my ps2 save data to my ps3. It has memory card slots for every type unde the sun (cf, sd, sony stick) but not a ps1/2 card slot?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

not to mention that since the games themselves can't read a memory cards that are not their own system's (PSX game only looks for PSX card, PS2 games only look for PS2 card), it can actually cause more confusion if Sony allows data to be transferred between different memory cards. They would have a lot more idiots contacting them saying that their game can't find the memory card because they copied and used the wrong type.
Master Mathiu

Post by Master Mathiu »

You know what the easiest way to do this is, load Suikoden III on a normal PS2, load the save data, then save it as soon as you possibly can, transfer that game save over to the PS3 and you have your solution!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

which still means you need a PS2.
Master Mathiu

Post by Master Mathiu »

Fair point. Ha. You could always ask someone nicely to do it maybe?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well for those who just want the data, SilvosForever at gamefaqs.com uploaded PS3 mem card saves. For Suikoden II end-game data, go to http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/save/198844.html
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

I haven't tried it yet, but I think this should work.

Have your Suikoden 2 save in slot 1.

Start a new game.

Load the data.

Start the game.

Press the middle button on your controller, which brings up the menu.

Switch the memory card slots so that the PS2 memory card is in slot 1.

Save your game.

It should work, in theory, because I often switch slots in game. If I forget to switch the card beforehand, the game tells me there's no memory card and asks me if I want to continue. Then I just do what I explained above, while still in-game, and switch them.
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Braxiatel wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but I think this should work.

Have your Suikoden 2 save in slot 1.

Start a new game.

Load the data.

Start the game.

Press the middle button on your controller, which brings up the menu.

Switch the memory card slots so that the PS2 memory card is in slot 1.

Save your game.

It should work, in theory, because I often switch slots in game. If I forget to switch the card beforehand, the game tells me there's no memory card and asks me if I want to continue. Then I just do what I explained above, while still in-game, and switch them.
You can't load a PS1 memory card while playing a PS2 game. If a PS1 card is selected and you start a PS2 game, the PS3 will default to no memory card.