The Golden Compass

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Iku

Re: The Golden Compass

Post by Iku »

i loved the monkey, it was very scary though... my friends all pretty much said what you did, that it was a okayish film but a great promotion for the books
damn them for ruining lord of the rings...
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Iku wrote:i loved the monkey, it was very scary though... my friends all pretty much said what you did, that it was a okayish film but a great promotion for the books
damn them for ruining lord of the rings...
i wonder how often it wortks that way. most ppl i know dont read the book after theyve watched the movie. but theyll watch a movie after theyve read the book.
are there more books in the series or something?
Iku

Post by Iku »

yeah theres two more, subtle knife and the amber spy glass! but the way i see is the book is always atleast 10 times as good as the film so good film= amazing book, well thats my logic anyway!
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

except if uve seen the movie, u already know how its gonna turn out, typically. if uve just read the book tho, you can watch the movie to for the appeal of seeing how they cast it or interpreted it on the big screen.

but i see ur point.

i never watched da vinci code because i wanted to read the book first. but then i never read the book. and now here i am having done neither.

so whats the verdict on the gcompass movie, would it be entertaining for someoen not familiar at all with the book?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Fairly entertaining, if you are for the fantasy setting. Otherwise, if you ended up liking it a lot more, you might be longing for more, in which case it'll make you go hunt down the books instead.
mhatter106 wrote:except if uve seen the movie, u already know how its gonna turn out, typically. if uve just read the book tho, you can watch the movie to for the appeal of seeing how they cast it or interpreted it on the big screen.
Honestly, that's not much a problem. Likewise, you could say that one would read the books after the movie to see how the story was originally written in the books. Assuming that spoilers are of little concern to you, of course.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

mhatter106 wrote:except if uve seen the movie, u already know how its gonna turn out, typically. if uve just read the book tho, you can watch the movie to for the appeal of seeing how they cast it or interpreted it on the big screen.

so whats the verdict on the gcompass movie, would it be entertaining for someoen not familiar at all with the book?
actually if you read the book you would be throughly disgusted with the movie. but i would say without reading the book it might be a good movie.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

actually if you read the book you would be throughly disgusted with the movie. but i would say without reading the book it might be a good movie.
It's always that way though, if you see a movie after readign a book you won't genersally like it as much, but I thought it was still a really good movie.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

My class had to buy The Northern Lights(Golden Compass)for leterature although no one in my class liked it but me of course.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I've watched the movie. It looked fancy but hard to understand and Nicole kidman's diction is pretty mysterious. It took me to watch the film twice to fully understand it. Reviews say, and I have to agree, that it was pretty rushed that's why I want to read the book itself because ti just looked fantastic.

Tried to search a bookstore for the first attempt to read a novel (lol) but ended up getting Inkheart and getting hooked instead.

Maybe next time. :wink:
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Noraibah
Banned User

Post by Noraibah »

I think the Subtle Knife is better than the Northern Lights.;The second book has one extra male character which makes the book slightly more interesting than the Northern Lights since the first book only has Lyra.I cannot believe that an author of such calibre is actually an atheist.Well,I can't blame him since my father is actually also an atheist while my whole family is quite(completely) the complete opposite since my mother and I are both Roman Catholic. While my big sis and my younger siblings are just normal protestant Christians.I really hate the ending part of the Northern Lights,you know.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

Noraibah wrote:I think the Subtle Knife is better than the Northern Lights.;The second book has one extra male character which makes the book slightly more interesting than the Northern Lights since the first book only has Lyra.I cannot believe that an author of such calibre is actually an atheist.Well,I can't blame him since my father is actually also an atheist while my whole family is quite(completely) the complete opposite since my mother and I are both Roman Catholic. While my big sis and my younger siblings are just normal protestant Christians.I really hate the ending part of the Northern Lights,you know.
The ending is the best part, and the fact they took it out of the movie was the biggest reason i want to put whoever made that change in a permant coma. Also, I actually normally like movies more than books. The LoTR books were boring as hell the movies were awesome. Can't comment on HP cause I really hate reading. And How is it suprising that hes atheist? Alot of the "highest caliber of people" are atheist or perhaps agnostic.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
Noraibah
Banned User

Post by Noraibah »

yeah,okay.I just read the golden compass because I had to read it as a school assignment.