The Golden Compass

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Tenko5

The Golden Compass

Post by Tenko5 »

I read the book and it is the only one I have ever liked. So, who has read it? Did you like it? Who is going to see the movie?
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
Red rune

Re: The Golden Compass

Post by Red rune »

Well i definitly am going to see the movie, although ive never read the book, ill probably see it in the school holidays.
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

I will most definately be going to see this, not because I've read the books myself but my girlfriend is a huge fan of the series, so much so that she did her dissertation on the His Dark Materials trilogy and The Chronicles of Narnia series.

I've gotta be honest, it was much more interesting than mine.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Um.. what is the golden compass?
Should I have heard of this?

EDIT: nevermind, i wikipedia'd it. I guess it was called "northern lights" in novel form
(Not that that elucidates much for me.)
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

no, it was def. still The Golden Compass. first in the "His dark Materials" series.
it's not that good, tbh.
Purr.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

Actually, pollen you should have used IMO. Because everyone i known thats read it likes it. Also, it was originally called Northern Lights in the U.K.. When it came to U.S. they called it the golden compass.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

if it has a talking armoured polar bear like i think it does, i will be seeing it at some point
Nightwing_56

Post by Nightwing_56 »

I hadn't planned on seeing it, but since people seem to like it, I'll probably end up seeing it at some point/
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Nightwing_56 wrote:I hadn't planned on seeing it, but since people seem to like it, I'll probably end up seeing it at some point/
What's it about? Like a one sentence gist.
Nightwing_56

Post by Nightwing_56 »

mhatter106 wrote:
Nightwing_56 wrote:I hadn't planned on seeing it, but since people seem to like it, I'll probably end up seeing it at some point/
What's it about? Like a one sentence gist.
As far as I can tell, it's about a Golden Compass, that's so powerful, whoever weilds it can take over the world. The problem is, nobody can read it, except some girl, so the main bad guy is trying to capture her.

At least that's what I deciphered from the commercial
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

Actually nightwing that is horribly wrong. True the compass does have tremendous power but you couldnt rule the world with just it. It knows everything and other people can read it with books. The little girl knows the meaning because of divine (or hellish?) intervention. And the main bad guy isnt revealved in the first movie atleast properly.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

If you read the books I would implore you not to see the movie. If you haven't I guess you could it is okay. Most of the plot as been changed to not offend anyone and the ending. The only saving grace is the acting of Daniel Craig (though he barely appears), Nicole Kidman, and Eva Green (the witch who again barely appears). They should have made the movie atleast another hour long because character and plot development is nearly gone and Lee (an old texas man who befriends Lyra) is probably seen more as creepy than friendly.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

The only saving grace is the acting of Daniel Craig (though he barely appears), Nicole Kidman, and Eva Green (the witch who again barely appears).
I'd hasten to add Dakota Blue Richards to this list; for a first timer her performance was spot on.

I thought that The Golden Compass was good, but nothing more. I won't be rushing out to see it again.

Did anyone else find that it seemed longer than it actually was?
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Tenko5 wrote:Most of the plot as been changed to not offend anyone
That sucks. While I didn't ENJOY the series as a whole, at least it taught kids not to just sit and accept things like religion that are shoved down their throat without questioning it.

Religious fundies are so ridiculous.
Purr.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Pollensalta wrote:
Tenko5 wrote:Most of the plot as been changed to not offend anyone
That sucks. While I didn't ENJOY the series as a whole, at least it taught kids not to just sit and accept things like religion that are shoved down their throat without questioning it.

Religious fundies are so ridiculous.
speaking of religious fundies, i only recently saw a special on and heard about the Dover case about whether or not "Intelligent Design" was a valid theory to teach in schools. it concluded in 2006. it's really sad to know that even today, there are still ignorant religious fundamentalists who deny real science.. even when these theories are used every day to produce real results (genetics, medicine, biology, etc).