Halo 3

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Eroschilles

Halo 3

Post by Eroschilles »

So Halo 3 came out two days ago and I unfortunately have not had as much time as I desire to play it. I'm currently at the local community college between classes when I truly desire to be at home on my Xbox. But as of yet I thoroughly enjoy the game with the shooting and the nice graphics and all.

Now I was wondering if anyone else on Suikosource has the game and what they think about it. I know everyone here at least likes one RPG series, but I want to know who likes Halo, a shooter, as well. I never played the first two games, but I picked up the third and was a little confused at the begining of the game.

I apologize if this is already a topic, but in my defense I already used the search thing and didn't find anything specifically about Halo.
VinceValentine

Re: Halo 3

Post by VinceValentine »

Be glad you can't play it right now,

I played the first Halo but i never played 2, i played 3 at a friends house and just from my experience its pretty much almost exactly the same as the first in looks and in gameplay...while that might not sound like a bad thing... to be honest Halo 3 is pretty over hyped and leaves the veteran players of the series disapointed. I've played the single player mode and i can't stand it... it sucks bad... and it just seems like its getting more and more childish, maybe they're trying to please the younger players who knows.

In short i'd rather play Doom, Kings field(ANY of them even the Ancient city which was the worst from Kings field) Quake, Half-life, and a bunch of other shooter/third person games... i'd take Halo 3 back and get your money back before you really get into it only to be left with disapointment.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

VinceValentine wrote:to be honest Halo 3 is pretty over hyped
Well thank god someone said it.

I played Halo one for about an hour with a friend and found it boring. You're shooting aliens. . . and you're at war. . . and you're a robot general somethingerother. I was not impressed. It didn't seem revolutionary at all to me.

Metroid does the same Sci-fi FPS so much better in my opinion. But then it's single player. I guess the fuss is about multi-player. Well, no one I know really likes video games all that much. I have a friend who plays Dynasty Warriors and occassionally Wii Sports or Mario Party with me, but that's it for multiplayer.

I never played any of the other games and I'm not a person who has ever owned a Microsoft Console anyway. But, I'm sure as hell sick of hearing about it everytime I turn around.

I was out getting lunch today and some college kid had a flag flapping out his car door with a Halo insignia on it. :evil:
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

It's such unintelligent gaming. Hey, let's go shoot stuff!

And yes, I have played all three of them, before you think I'm knocking it without playing it. I played the other two a long time back, and my boyfriend purchased Halo 3 and I attempted to play it with him.

soooooo overrated.
Purr.
daoster

Post by daoster »

Because gaming has to be intelligent...?

Anyways, Halo is a series that probably gets too much hype, but it's a great party game, so in that regards, it's fun.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

daoster wrote:Because gaming has to be intelligent...?
No, but if its retardly unintelligent and mind numbingly boring then its not fun, see? theres a difference between regular unintelligence and just plain stupidity.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
LTM

Post by LTM »

Compared to other FPS', Halo kinda sucks but from what I played of it its fun if you play with four or more people. I don't see the hype much myself, but I think for rpg gamers like most of us, we can't see the appeal of the whole shooting thing as a FPS fan can (though I'm not saying any of us don't enjoy other genres). Personally I find fighting games to be much more enjoyable than FPS', but when it comes to those the only one I want to play right now is Sniper Elite. I dislike Halo mostly because I want to hide, blend into my surroundings, lay traps and snipe my opponents like in Metal Gear Solid 3. Halo 2 was just..."LOL RUN AROUND HIDE BEHIND A ROCK AND SHOOT! 1337 SNIPING!!!111!" I know that sounds very insulting, but thats the impression I get from everyone who tells me sniping is possible in Halo. But real sniping means one-shot, one kill and you can actually prevent yourself from being caught. :roll:
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Halo 3? Not.

Metal Gear on the other hand is a remarkable series. It's one of the games where I see a completely versatile fanbase, ranging from the "casual shooting mainstream audience" to the "story-driven, deep-minded gamers" to the...uh, you know, the other kind. This is one of the reasons why i love Konami. (and soon thereafter, I became biased with all kinds of j-games...so I quit playing Diablo, GTA, and that stuff)
daoster

Post by daoster »

VinceValentine wrote:
No, but if its retardly unintelligent and mind numbingly boring then its not fun, see? theres a difference between regular unintelligence and just plain stupidity.
Okay, that's nice to know...but what does that have to do with anything at hand? Unless you're trying to somehow call Halo 3 gameplay "plain stupid." Hmm...well, I won't argue that it doesn't require MUCH intelligent (anybody can pick up a gun and shoot, but I doubt just shooting randomly will win you many matches), but mind numbingly boring? Nah...I get some sort of amusement playing it, so...

And really...comparing this game to Metal Gear Solid 3 is kind of stupid. Actually, not "kind of stupid," but "pretty stupid." Metal Gear Solid is a completely different series, in a different genre, with a completely different experience in mind than that of the Halo series. Comparing the two is kind of like comparing Apples and Oranges (and I would venture to say that Apples and Oranges have more in common than the MGS series and the Halo series).

Is Halo 3 the best FPS ever? Nah, not by a long shot...is it the worst FPS ever? Nah, not by a long shot. The PC has plenty of FPS's that are better than the Halo series, but when you jump into console territory...there are very few FPS that offer what Halo offers (which would explain why Halo has been successful among console gamers, compared to PC gamers).
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

VinceValentine wrote:

I'm not one of them, but there are 1 million and counting Halo 3 owners that might argue the fun factor of the game.

It's the whole "eye of the beholder" "one man's junk is another man's joy" type thing. Keep an open mind about it, your opinions aren't gospel. ( And if they were then people would really argue your points.)

FPS is one genre I just don't do. I suck at them, but thats only part of it. As I haven't played the game I can't speak as an authority, but it seems by nature that FPS breed repetition. I know that can be said for a lot of game genres, but for whatever reasons FPS just don't click with me.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what makes the Halo series stand out from the other thousands of multi-player FPShooters out there? i doubt it's the plot..
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

KFCrispy wrote:what makes the Halo series stand out from the other thousands of multi-player FPShooters out there? i doubt it's the plot..
graphics? I dunno, that seems to be all the idiots care about.
Purr.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Pollensalta wrote:
KFCrispy wrote:what makes the Halo series stand out from the other thousands of multi-player FPShooters out there? i doubt it's the plot..
graphics? I dunno, that seems to be all the idiots care about.
Is it me or are the graphics in Halo 3 not that great a leap from Halo 2? I was expecting something much better.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

So I played a bit of Halo the other day at a friends place. The game play is what it is...

But in terms of graphics I really wasn't blown away, and I don't know that I should have been, but I went into it expecting more. This may sound outrageous, but I haven't seen an all-around, every detail included, better looking game that Metroid Prime 3; in terms of artistry, level design and visual presentation. The only time the Wii showed its weakness is up close, some of the textures wash out and blur. On the contrary I have seen some PS3 and 360 games that didn't look anywhere near as good as Prime, which just aint right...

Halo may be a love, hate, or indifferent kind of game, but I was expecting lots more from the visuals.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

Well, I haven't been on the forum for the last few days because I have been playing Halo 3. And well, it's everything I expected it to be: a first person shooter that you can play online with thousands of others for hours of senseless murder and mayhem. I never payed much attention to the hype and it probably is overrated, but that's the key thing for a game. At least not to me. I play it because I like running around, shooting things.

And there isn't much repetition in it. There are so many different people that play it. The levels might be he same, the weapons might be the same, even the game types for multiplayer might be the same. But as long as you are playing with or against different players, every level, match, and outcome will differ.

The problem with hype is that people expect so much from a game. They start to expect to be awed the moment they start to play. They are waiting to see the best game for that genre that ever occured, and that is not going to happen. I like Halo 3. It's one of the best FPS that I have ever played.

Hype has occured with other games and people got their hopes up and then were dissapointed that the game did not meet their expectations. I believe that is what happened with games like Suikoden IV. People were expecting so much and when it was lacking they thought it a horrible game. I liked Suikoden IV. Not the best game ever, but that doesn't mean it is the worst. People just want games to get better and better, but that doesn't always happen. But this all is a totally different topic.

I didn't play Halo 1 or 2, but I have seen Red vs Blue which uses gameplay from the three games to do the videos. And there is a difference between each game. The design of the helmet didn't change between 2 & 3, but the graphics did improve. They could have been better at some points, but I'm generally satisfied.

The online is awesome. Creating a worldwide network for the game is great. They have matchmaking that allows you to play against people from around your skill level. They give out skill points in the ranked matches and you usually aquire one per match (depending on how well you did) that you or your team win. Those skill points determine who you play against - you play against others that are close to you in skill points. They also give you actual ranks from recruit to general based on experience points, based on how well you do in a match and whether your team wins or not. You can play in social matches which allow you to play anyone from anywhere regardless of rank or skill. I tend to lose alot there.

They have diferent modes on which to play in multiplayer under both social and ranked. There is slayer - kill the other people any means possible. Capture the flag. King of the hill. Hold onto a skull as long as possible - downside, cannot kill people with conventional weapons while holding the skull, you can beat them with it though. They have levels where you just have a shotgun and a sniper rifle. Or everyone just has a sword. And most of those have team versions where you have to fight along side others.

So Halo 3, or even FPS, may not be for eveybody, I certainly do find it quite enjoyable and love playing. In fact, I wish I could be playing it right now.... :cry: