Reasons for replaying an RPG

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
That's Mr. Humphrey

Re: Reasons for replaying an RPG

Post by That's Mr. Humphrey »

Playing hard is the only way to play my friends.

And "play hard" is an old Vince Lombardi quote. How a football coach and suikoden mix, i don't know. But it works for me.
Stick to your guns.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Oppenheimer wrote: I agree.
I don't really get the point of trying to get to level 99. Even if there are optional bosses, since there's no extra storyline I usually don't care to overlevel to beat them.

Games like Resident evil 4 gave you lots of reasons to replay because of unlockables (Ada, new weapons/outfits, increased difficulty) but that kind of stuff doesn't usually happen in an RPG.
There is really no point, those are just nice side-dishes aside from the main deal.

I'd disagree however if someone plays a game just for the gameplay features it offers while tossing the storyline out of his way, that I don't do, I always do the best of both worlds, and RPGS are no exception to me.

And yeah, the case isn't for "replaying" an RPG a no.of times, it's just collecting enough reasons just for a good second playthrough.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

I am currently playing Xenogears again and beaten it 4-5 times. Never gotten tired of the story.
That's Mr. Humphrey

Post by That's Mr. Humphrey »

Xenogear's is (was) Squaresoft at it's best.
Stick to your guns.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

You could try playing Final Fantasy 9 again to get the Excalibur II - I wouldn't recommend it though, as you need to get onto Disc 4 in under 16 hours (I think).
golden general

Post by golden general »

Michael Easton wrote:You could try playing Final Fantasy 9 again to get the Excalibur II - I wouldn't recommend it though, as you need to get onto Disc 4 in under 16 hours (I think).

actually its under 12 hours. (nearly impossible)

i never tried it thought, i like to have all items possible and i want my characters to be high level as well.
big runescape player
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

-Vagrant Story
-Legend of Legaia
-Front Mission 3
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I replay it because, like couple people have already stated it, I want to re-experience the story again. I just turned on S1 and play only the beginning, barely talked to the king, and I already miss the game. BUt, reason why I do not replay it is because I feel like I can do more productive work rather than replaying it. Feel like i'm wasting my time and eyesight. =( I use to be a game maniac too. What a big change..
Nick Bruiser
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Sometimes I wish (unrealistic a wish as it is) that once you beat a RPG game, it would unlock some sort of aniem movie or somethign that relives and retells the entire story.

Cuz sometimes I want to relive the RPG but just don't want to have to put in the manhours again to do so.

Having said that, I still usually do it.
Quing

Post by Quing »

You want to watch the game after you've beaten it? Tape it the first time through! It's not as much work as playing the game again!
McBones

Post by McBones »

So we're naming RPGs that have good reasons to replay? OK:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Six different endings, levels go by too fast to get 100% of the available demons in your party, large optional dungeon with all kinds of secret items and things, many viable ways to build your main character (physical, support, fire-oriented, etc.), 12 or so optional bosses including a skeleton riding a motorcycle, helps you brush up on acient mythology, and of course, Dante from Devil May Cry.

In fact, thats enough reason to play it once. everyone go play it right now >_>
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I have this sickness. . .

I. . .can never beat a game that I love. . .I'd get to the final boss and, well, start over. :<

I swear, the only way I could ever beat an RPG that I love is if there's a second one that allows you to load previous saved data, or if I fight the last boss by mistake (ahem. . Suikoden V).

I've had Legend of Dragoon for awhile and I haven't finished it yet (partly because me older brother sold the first one before I could even get on the third disk). I think I'll finish that sooon

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
promethez

Post by promethez »

seriously play chrono cross again. it's a fantastic game and you could recruit a different set of characters, such as glen vs razzle and guile vs pierre vs the rockstar guy. I believe there were others too. and besides, the game had A LOT of endings, some of which are pretty fun. I remembered one where you get to rome viper mansion talking to the people eho made the game and they would joke about all sorts of things. furthermore, chrono cross probably has one of the best soundtracks ever created for a game, honestly. the story's rather complicated too, so it would be good to paly a coupel more times to understand it.

I don't understand why do people like legend of dragoon so much. I completed the game plus all the sidequests and I have to say, I absolutely hated the stupid battle system. IT gets soo repititve and boring after a while. And what's with the lack of escape scrolls and the like. You ALWAYS had to hike all the way back after a boss fight because the game doesn't even bother warping you back automatically. the dragon transformation thing was quite lame too. However, I do admit the CGI's were really cool, though I didn't like the in battle graphics. the dragons looked crappy.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

I have beaten so many RPG's over and over. Especially the older RPG's which are shorter because they have quick and to the point dialogue, and no voice acting. I think I have beaten Suikoden 2 at least 10+ times.
rickstilwell1

Post by rickstilwell1 »

I've actually played through Beyond the Beyond for PS1 10 times, probably 4 times with Gameshark and the rest without. Also Suikoden I 7 times, Suikoden II 5 times and Suikoden III 2 times.

I've actually started videotaping my gameplay so I actually start playing other games I haven't done before instead of just doing the same addictive games over and over again just to see them in action. On the computer I can always fast forward through grinding sessions to get to the story events so I think it's worth it. It's also quite entertaining for platformer games.

I learned that it is possible to complete the first Dragon Warrior for NES in one day if you can get yourself to sit through it that long.

A lot of the older Zelda games can be completed that fast so they are probably among my most completed action RPGs.

I think it would be really fun to play through King's Field 1 & 2 (USA) on the PC using an emulator again. It's hard to play on the original Playstation due to some tough traps, but using savestates on an emulator and running the game at 2x speed makes it a lot more fun. I never could find a copy of the Japanese prequel to USA's King's Field 1 (called just King's Field there). They made KF2 become our KF1, and their KF3 became our KF2. Then they called KF4 for PS2 "King's Field: The Ancient City." I would love to find an import of the Japanese original or even a rom just to be able to try it out if I can't find the original disc.