Reasons for replaying an RPG

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Occam Arkitect

Reasons for replaying an RPG

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Hi fellas, I used to be a very dedicated RPG gamer for the consoles (PS and PS2), but nowadays I don't have the strength to play any of the new ones I have, like Odin's Sphere, Wild Arms 5, Atelier Iris's, and so on.

Finally, I decided to start with the PS1 RPG's, but I don't have (or remember) any reasons why I should replay them except for the story.

What I mean is, I need some real gameplay reasons why I should repeat them. Truth be told, I want suggestions from anyone who has played any PS or PS2 RPG's, and post the most enjoyable (and most important) sidequests or goals from each one.

Example: Chrono Cross

1. Get all characters including Harle

2. Get this equipment,etc.

or FF12:

1. Get Tournesol

2. Finish Yiazmat

I hope you're all getting my point, and most of all, I really want to replay Suikoden 2 and 3, but what do you suggest I do? Get all to Level 99, use stones,etc.? I know it's up to personal preferences, but that's something I don't have these days, that's why I want suggestions.

Any RPG with reasons for replaying it is welcome, as long as it's for the PS1 or PS2. Thanks!
Quing

Re: Reasons for replaying an RPG

Post by Quing »

Well, if you've only played Suikoden II once, you could play again to get Clive's quest. Also, there are some mutually exclusive characters in Suikoden II, so if you got one set before, you should get another set this time. For Suikoden III, I think there's value in simply playing through the chapters in a different order to get a better grasp of the story.

Hmm. Well, a game I always found worth replaying was Chrono Trigger. You play it through, get an ending, play through again to get another ending. I recognize that this was originally for the SNES, but you can get a version for the PS1 even if it is blasphemy.

Aside from those, most of the games that I would replay wouldn't be RPGs. I guess the main reason I play RPGs is for the story. Loading completed data from Suikodens gets good stuff usually, but aside from that, the only things I can think of to do with games you're replaying are to play them straight or to attempt to get 99 of every item, get to level 99, etc. (Final Fantasies are good for this kind of thing).

Ooh. I just thought of one last thing that I've been wanting to do: go through a Suikoden game and try to get as few people as you can. I've always been curious of the results of something like that. Anyway, that's all I've got.
KvChaos

Post by KvChaos »

Legend of the Dragoons.
It'll be worth your while, I'm sure of it.
I might even rate it slightly higher than suikoden 2 = :shock:
golden general

Post by golden general »

KvChaos wrote:Legend of the Dragoons.
It'll be worth your while, I'm sure of it.
I might even rate it slightly higher than suikoden 2 = :shock:

definetly, i have it and its my second favourite rpg, right after lunar silverstar story. If you like love stories you'll love these games. Personally i like both these games more than suikoden.
big runescape player
Quing

Post by Quing »

Okay, another one: Star Ocean 2. Mutually exclusive characters, 2 possible point of view characters, and the Cave of Trials at the end. That's not to mention all the different endings you can get by increasing different people's friendship values for each other. In short, this game has huge replay value.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Woah, thanks for the tips!

I see, so:

1. Chrono Trigger: I have it for the PS1, haven't seen all endings, good start!

2. Legend of Dragoon: VOLCANO!! Yes, I loved this one too, but in the end I heard there's not much to do..other than seeing the hero with his silver gem of course...

3. Star Ocean: Oh my, I own this untouched and unopened, haha! Must be clouded back then by my Suikoden...

Thanks for the tips guys. So far, I am collecting goals for another trip to Suikoden 2 ad 3, and oone of them is suggested above, thanks to ya.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Star Ocean 2 is definitely one of the best for replay value because you can either play as Claude or Rena. The storyline differs a little bit, you can get different characters, different endings, etc. Definitely worth it.
Purr.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I must be weird cause I usually just replay games cause I liked them and want to experience the story again.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
golden general

Post by golden general »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:I must be weird cause I usually just replay games cause I liked them and want to experience the story again.

likewise.
big runescape player
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:I must be weird cause I usually just replay games cause I liked them and want to experience the story again.
definitely the reason I keep replaying the Suikoden series.
Purr.
Quing

Post by Quing »

See, I'd agree, except that I have so many games that I rarely replay ones that I've already played unless there is something there that I haven't seen, some hidden scene, other characters, etc. As it is, I spend most of my time playing games that I haven't managed to finish yet.
That's Mr. Humphrey

Post by That's Mr. Humphrey »

If you don't mind oldschool, i recommend FF6. They made a FF Anthol. for the PS1 that comes with 5 and 6. Both are worth playing if your into good stories (like any true rpg player). FF6 is, in my opion the best FF storywise. 5 outta 5.

Xenogears is a diffent play for PS1 and PS2.

Hope this help.

Play hard.
Stick to your guns.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I agree.
I don't really get the point of trying to get to level 99. Even if there are optional bosses, since there's no extra storyline I usually don't care to overlevel to beat them.

Games like Resident evil 4 gave you lots of reasons to replay because of unlockables (Ada, new weapons/outfits, increased difficulty) but that kind of stuff doesn't usually happen in an RPG.
That's Mr. Humphrey wrote: Play hard.
How does one "play hard" exactly? Press the buttons very firmly?
golden general

Post by golden general »

That's Mr. Humphrey wrote: Play hard.
How does one "play hard" exactly? Press the buttons very firmly?

lol
big runescape player
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

I haven't had much time to play RPG's recently and when I do get the time I just don't have the motivation. It's a little depressing. :cry:

I was messing with my old PS1 memory card and I found an unfinished Suikoden II file on it and decided to start playing it. I only got to play it for an hour and one half before I had to go do stuff. I found that I did like getting into the story right away; however, I felt like I was always in a hurry when walking around or trying to find recruits and all. It's as though my life is so rushed that it reflects on my game play.