Any good RPG games released in ps2 lately?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
golden general

Re: Any good RPG games released in ps2 lately?

Post by golden general »

VinceValentine wrote:I really wish i could play Grandia 1 again, I wonder why they had to make 2 and 3 so cheesy compared to it but thats kind of like all video games and movies alike, usaully the first one is the best one.

i agree 100% with you.
big runescape player
LTM

Post by LTM »

It'd be nice if Grandia 1 for SATURN came here, cause the PS ports of Grandia always lag and its so irritating. At least Grandia 2 for DC came here. Oh right, back on topic...

Hmmm lets see. .hack has finally continued its series with .hack/G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption. Jeanne D'Arc for PSP seems to be getting good feedback, though I haven't touched it. Dragoneer's Aria for PSP came out recently. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is coming out for PSP I believe next month, so thats something really awesome to anticipate. Soul Nomad for PS2 is coming out soon. And Disgaea Portable for PSP is coming out soon as well. I know PSP isn't PS2, but it still has some decent titles. If you can consider Castlevania an RPG, Dracula X Chronicles will be here soon. If you care about this, Digimon World: Data Squad is coming out soon and is considered an rpg...I guess. Thats all I see on rpgamer.com :P
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

hey guys, is it possible to list wat other RPG games tat are good and list the pro's and con's so I know which game is for me to play :P I have been away from console games for a while now and i need help choosing >< the systems i own atm are Ps1 ps2 and Wii and GCN

as for FFT on psp, isnt it the same as the one on PSX? cuz im currently playing the ps1 version and nearly beating it.
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

how about Growlancer 5 heritage of war & Growlanser VI: Precarious World
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

I recently played Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and liked it. The dungeon levels are kind of repetitive but the storyline is really good and compelling, the characters are really interesting.

The game is interestingly divided up between day and night where during the day you play a normal high school student with school, friends, extra-curriculars, etc, but at night you fight to save the world. The thing is the strength of your relationships and interactions with people during the day influence how powerful your "Personas" (think GF or Aeon fro FF series) are.

The social setup is kind of like in Evangelion, where by either fate or manipulation all the kids with the potential to save the world are brought to attend the same school.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

Shinsengumi wrote:how about Growlancer 5 heritage of war & Growlanser VI: Precarious World
erm... i 4got to mention, English version only hehe and i am not sure if those are released atm

I was also not pleased with the previous versions, have they improved?

mhatter106 wrote:I recently played Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and liked it. The dungeon levels are kind of repetitive but the storyline is really good and compelling, the characters are really interesting.

The game is interestingly divided up between day and night where during the day you play a normal high school student with school, friends, extra-curriculars, etc, but at night you fight to save the world. The thing is the strength of your relationships and interactions with people during the day influence how powerful your "Personas" (think GF or Aeon fro FF series) are.

The social setup is kind of like in Evangelion, where by either fate or manipulation all the kids with the potential to save the world are brought to attend the same school.
Persona 3 was acutally one of the game tat caught my interest as well, any con's to game tat u may list?
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Laharle wrote: Persona 3 was acutally one of the game tat caught my interest as well, any con's to game tat u may list?
Yeah, again the dungeon levels all seem pretty similar and can be kind of a grind and monotonous. The game takes a little while to pick up speed and build intrigue, but then it's awesome. Some social activities seem like a chore, but at the same time they really flesh out the depth of all the characters (and the voice acting is excellent)

The coolest part are the Personas. Unlike where you have maybe liek 20 or so GFs or Aeons (Ifrit, Shiva, etc.) There are well over 100 different Personas you can use in the game whcih you can get individually or combine different personas you already have and fuse them to make a new one. And their powers and characteristics will differ too if you make it from fusing, like they may inherit different powers that its component Personas originally had in additin to the ones that they normally have.

And the way you summon is cool to. You shoot a gun to your head.
Last edited by mhatter106 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

thx for the details, much appreciated :) probably gonna buy it right away as soon as i see the game in the shop.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I second the Persona 3 recommendation. Strangely addictive for me, and the Personae make for a fun twist of the good old monster collecting mechanics.

Mind you, if you are looking for "world map" exploration, the game doesn't have that.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

On a related slight tangent, has anyone come across any good next-gen RPGs yet? Specifically ps3 or wii.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

The new Fire Emblem on the Wii is good. I'm currently playing that. I've been a fan of the series for a long time, and mind you, nothing much has changed over the years, but with a series that good, not much needs to change. I hear some complaints that it doesn't make use of the "Wii-mote" and all that, but it doesn't NEED to, and it would be ridiculous if it did.

My boyfriend is playing Eternal Sonata on the 360. From what I see and what he says, it's strange, but pretty good. He's also playing Mass Effect on the 360, which is *kind of* an RPG... more of an action-RPG, and the theme is not my type, but he LOVES it and I can see why he thinks it's a great game. Just not my type.
Purr.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Pollensalta wrote:The new Fire Emblem on the Wii is good. I'm currently playing that. I've been a fan of the series for a long time, and mind you, nothing much has changed over the years, but with a series that good, not much needs to change. I hear some complaints that it doesn't make use of the "Wii-mote" and all that, but it doesn't NEED to, and it would be ridiculous if it did.
I heard that was good for wii. What RPG is it similar to as far as style and gameplay go?

I dont have a a 360 tho. the way i see it ps3 directly competes with 360, but wii serves an entirely differnet niche.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Ah, it's similar to the other Fire Emblem games...? Hmm... the GBA incarnations of the series are similar to Advance Wars, but better... it's just a ridiculously good strategy RPG series.
Purr.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Pollensalta wrote:Ah, it's similar to the other Fire Emblem games...? Hmm... the GBA incarnations of the series are similar to Advance Wars, but better... it's just a ridiculously good strategy RPG series.
ok so like a a tactics games. il check it out
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

mhatter106 wrote:On a related slight tangent, has anyone come across any good next-gen RPGs yet? Specifically ps3 or wii.
If you get the chance look into Elder Scrolls Oblivion? Now, there's a game you might want to check out for the PS3. Customize attributes, select from different classes, variety of different skills, etc. There's a whole bunch of things you could do in that game.

Other than that, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is a good pick up for the Wii. If you played Gamecube's Path Of Radiance it will fill you in some things, plus with completed data, you can get transfered bonuses for certain characters. Hopefully, you can take perminate deaths because I've seen a few turned off by certain characters dying and losing them forever.
Deathrace King