Any good RPG games released in ps2 lately?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Jowy Atreides

Re: Any good RPG games released in ps2 lately?

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I haven't played the whole series, but they seem pretty unrelated.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Yes, they're unrelated... they share nothing in common with eachother at all, the only thing that is even remotely simuliar between every Wild arms game is that theres always these "Demons" of ancient times in the history of the storylines. And... well theres always 4 main bad villians and 4 heroes...always with one female companion as well... but that doesnt really relate to anything. Also Janus from 3 is kind of like Solid from Wild arms 2... just one lone villian antagonizing the good guys.

Anyways in response to what EternalOnslaught said, i have to say i havent heard of Wild arms Alter code F... damn looks like they made more "Wild Arms" stuff then i thought. I'm guessing Alter code F is not really labeled as to what number in the series it is? Its kind of like how Breath of Fire 5 was but they added "Dragon Quarter" to it. Anyhow i'll probably just end up getting 4 and playing that before i try the other ones... i like playing things in order even if they arent in the same world as the others. And yeah brigandine is one of my favorite strat/rpg games... i really do love those lizard men... they rocked even though they werent the strongest to use... my favorites to use in battle were the evolved Jinn's and the big dragon's lol.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Wild Arms: Alter Code F is a remake (not a port, mind you) of Wild Arms 1. It's completely redone, not just take the old system and changing the graphics or whatever.

there is a SRPG for Wild Arms coming out for PSP as well, called Cross Fire. It's going to pull data from Wild Arms 5 so it seems pretty similar to Suikoden 4 + Rhapsodia. I think Cross Fire is an actual sequel following some characters from Wild Arms 5 after the story ended.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

alter code any good? i heard its better than 4
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i didn't play 4 but i thought Alter Code was great. however, your characters can become so powerful you can abuse a lot of tricks to turn the toughest boss fights into the same rinse-and-repeat tactics. but that's pretty much when you're done with the game anyway.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I also heard Rogue Galaxy was a good game, hadn't got to play it yet.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

EternalOnslaught wrote:I wouldn't know if 4 was better than 3 of the Wild Arms series, never played the fourth installment. However, one game I failed to mention, Wild Arms Alter Code F =) I haven't had the pleasure to play this one yet, but I really do, so bad. Because I was a big of the first wild arms.

Another game, that is worth playing if you can find it, is Brigandine for the regular playstation.

I've played wild arms three, it's kinda like suikoden 3 due to the fact that you have more then one view point. I got stuk in Wild arms 3, so i stoped playin it. Does anyone now where u light the kindling fire? That s were im stuck :?
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
Alen

Post by Alen »

EternalOnslaught wrote:I also heard Rogue Galaxy was a good game, hadn't got to play it yet.
I didn't think so. I thought it was a huge disappointment, largely due to the terrible battle system. I guess I just don't like random battles, invisible barriers, and a limit on how often I can attack in my action-RPGs.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

so has anyone played Wild Arms 5 and Growlanser? i bought them but won't play them for a while still.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

i didnt enjoy Growlanser 2 or 3. i 4got which series but yea....
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

I havent played neither of them but i really want to play Wild arms 5 after seeing the screenshots and stuff for it... but that won't be for awhile unfortunately.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the Shadow Hearts series is a good one to get into.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

I didn't really like the first game of that series but Covenant was pretty good. I havent played From the new world yet though.

Oh yeah i don't know if this has been mentioned but Grandia 3 was a pretty good game besides the cheesy storyline but the battle system was cool.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

I found Grandia 1 to be an extremely satisfying game to play, only problem is it's hard to find.
Easily one of the better rpg's for the ps1.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

I really wish i could play Grandia 1 again, I wonder why they had to make 2 and 3 so cheesy compared to it but thats kind of like all video games and movies alike, usaully the first one is the best one.