Any good RPG games released in ps2 lately?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
mhatter106

Re: Any good RPG games released in ps2 lately?

Post by mhatter106 »

Black Knight Yuber wrote:Hopefully, you can take perminate deaths because I've seen a few turned off by certain characters dying and losing them forever.
well permanent deaths can happen in the suikoden series too if you lose them in war battles. altho thats not to say i like that.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

wait, Fire Emblem is released for Wii already? O_O must get

and yes i do realize tat if my allies died in battle, i would lose them forever considering i played 2 of the fire emblem games on GBA and path of radiance. :)
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

The good improvement about Radiant Dawn is the Battle Save. You can save it anytime you want and go back to it. If a character dies, you can go back to before they died, unlike any of the previous games.
But this game is much harder than the previous ones.
Purr.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

I tend to stay away from the battle save, unless I have to quit or just tired. It's a nifity feature for new players to the series, but I like suspense from watching characters avoid death. Eventually, the characters will man handle most enemies you might not even think of the save option.

PS - Second Playthrough has a bit more to offer.

Now, Fire Emblem 6 was a pain and more difficult then Radiant Dawn imo. When reinforcements appeared they got to move right away instead of waiting. Basically, you end your turn and then Enemy Phase, reinforcements show up and they move as well. Swordmasters & Beserkers got 30% Critical hit rate which was sick. With a Killing Weapon and the right support you could easily do 90% crit rates. This also is the one with Roy in it, just to let you know.

Wasted lots of hours playing these games.
Deathrace King
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Black Knight Yuber wrote:Wasted lots of hours playing these games.
Actually I probably shouldnt start a new RPG until I finish the ones I'm already playing. That always happens w/ em when a game comes out. But now I'm kind of enticed by fire emblem.

U said theres GBA versions? Maybe I'll get that to play on my DS when i travel. (unless theyve released a DS specific one since then.)
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

A DS Fire Emblem, which is going to be a remake of the very first FE (which was released only in Japan) is on the way. :)

In the US, the two FEs on the GBA are called Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. You *might* be able to find them used at a Gamestop or something. or on ebay.
Purr.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

On the GBA I would recommend Fire Emblem over Sacred Stones, the story of the latter did nothing for me.

A DS fire Emblem would make me very happy. I don't know how online battles would work as there are no "generic" characters but it would kick so much ass if online battles could be included. As I've never played any of the Japanese games remakes would be welcome.

Unless there is tons of added content that could fill up a cartridge I'd love to see anthologies of the earlier games, but knowing Nintendo's penchant for cashing in on DS software I don't think it likely.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Waylander wrote:On the GBA I would recommend Fire Emblem over Sacred Stones, the story of the latter did nothing for me.
Good to know. I just went to Gamestop to check for FE. They had SS but not regular FE, so I didnt get it. Probably a blessing in disguise they didnt have FE.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

mhatter106 wrote:
Waylander wrote:On the GBA I would recommend Fire Emblem over Sacred Stones, the story of the latter did nothing for me.
Good to know. I just went to Gamestop to check for FE. They had SS but not regular FE, so I didnt get it. Probably a blessing in disguise they didnt have FE.
dude, they're still both amazing games.
Purr.
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

I'll still poke aroudn to look for the first one first thoguh. No rush. There seem to be like 6 gamestops in a 3 mile radius from me.

Is SS a direct sequel to FE or unrelated altogether.
If its sequel I want to play the firts game first.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

The story lines are unrelated and Pollensalta is right, they both rock. Furthermore, your preference may be different from mine.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

Sacred Stones stands alone, but Fire Emblem 7 Blazing Sword is related to FE 6 (Sealed Sword) with 20 years added on to a few characters (Looks at 60yr old Marcus.)
Deathrace King
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Has anyoen played the new Folklore RPG for PS3? The demo looked pretty cool.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I tried some of Growlanser V this weekend... it is very fun! The story and characters are pretty well developed and it has a casual-gamer feel because it is broken up into small sections with different POVs so that you can get to know many major players in the story and their contributions.

the fighting is also short and sweet when you don't have to care (much like an action RPG), but you can command every character's action without much effort when the need arises (think Grandia but lacking focus on delaying/cancelling enemy attacks). the skills system is pretty interesting too.. it is overwhelming when you first look at it but once you get the concept it is very easy to work with and customize.

unfortunately the fan-base of the Growlanser series is even smaller than Suikoden so there is a serious lack of information for the game.... and also only II, III, and V have been translated and released in the US.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I enjoyed Growlanser II, but didn't like III as much. How does V compare to them?

As for me and my PS2, I'm currently hooked on .hack//GU Volume 1. I have never gotten into the whole .hack back when the original quartet was released and it seems the universe has been developed so much across various media that I have this overwhelming feeling that I'm missing a lot of backstories, but once I dealt with it, it's a pretty sweet adventure so far. I already have Vol 2, so I'll be hunting down Vol 3 soon.

That aside, I have this sinking feeling that I'm subconsciously starting to lose patience over random encounters apparently. After all, my most recent two completed PS2 RPGs were Rogue Galaxy and Persona 3.