PS3 price cut

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Sniper_Zegai

Re: PS3 price cut

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

daoster wrote:People can't afford a 600 dollar system? While it's true that PS3 isn't selling like the Wii because of its price, in the amount of time it's been out, it's already sold more than the PS2 did in the months following the PS2 launch. At least in Europe and N. America, Japan is the exception, but that's another subject.

It's disappointing that this price drop wasn't the real price drop people were hoping for, but I'm hoping that there will be a price drop on the 80 gig by the holiday season. Compared to the 60 gig, the 80 gig is actually cheaper to produce, so they can actually afford a price drop on that.
Yeah but the PS2 was'nt a hot item back then, there were'nt many games out for it and bug exclusive titles like MGS2 were'nt available. Im sure alot of people who fell in love with the PS2 bought the PS3 the second it came out without a second thought. And why would'nt they? the PS2 was a great system but I think Sony are getting too big for their boots, the system does'nt have many great titles out for it and for the price it just is'nt worth it. Lets say I wanted to buy a xbox 360 with 4 games. At the most that may cost me 600 dollars, but if I was to buy a PS3 with 4 games thats 800 dollars at least. YOu may say that 200 dollars is'nt a big dif but if I were to spend 800 dollars on the 360 at that point I would be able to afford twice as many games. Twice the fun and twice the experience. Even more if you buy a Wii. I dont think Sony take this into account.

In response to Pollen. Yes it is in fact true that some of the PS3 games NEED a HD TV to be played much like most PS2 games needed a Dualshock2 controller instead of a 10 dollar controller you may end of having to spend 800 dollars on a new TV.

Thats the other thing, this whole "Elite Gamer" persona that the PS3 has taken on is'nt very good. In fact I say it opened the way for the Wii to be such a success. The whole Blu Ray thing seemed like a technology fad that is being forced down gamers throats when in fact we buy consoles to have fun. And Nintendo took advantage of that. I have'nt got a Wii yet but at the 150 GBP price its going for, I dont see how Sony can hope to compete with those prices.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Yeah but the PS2 was'nt a hot item back then, there were'nt many games out for it and bug exclusive titles like MGS2 were'nt available. Im sure alot of people who fell in love with the PS2 bought the PS3 the second it came out without a second thought. And why would'nt they? the PS2 was a great system but I think Sony are getting too big for their boots, the system does'nt have many great titles out for it and for the price it just is'nt worth it. Lets say I wanted to buy a xbox 360 with 4 games. At the most that may cost me 600 dollars, but if I was to buy a PS3 with 4 games thats 800 dollars at least. YOu may say that 200 dollars is'nt a big dif but if I were to spend 800 dollars on the 360 at that point I would be able to afford twice as many games. Twice the fun and twice the experience. Even more if you buy a Wii. I dont think Sony take this into account. .
PS2 wasn't a hot item back then? Are you kidding or what? I remember how hard it was actually trying to get one when it was first release and how it was about $1,000+ on several auction sites. I am also pretty sure it caused a several accidents with people getting mugged and what not. I can't quite remember the launch titles for the PS2, except for The Bouncer, I think. But the PS3 didn't have that many either. The PS3 is not a failure just yet, give it the same amount of time the Xbox 360 has been out than start comparing.
The reason why Wii is selling so well, the games play a part. But to be honest. It's how cheap it is, that plays the biggest part.
Sniper_Zegai wrote:In response to Pollen. Yes it is in fact true that some of the PS3 games NEED a HD TV to be played much like most PS2 games needed a Dualshock2 controller instead of a 10 dollar controller you may end of having to spend 800 dollars on a new TV.
Not trying to contradict you Sniper_Zegai, but do you or anyone have a link to that information? Thanks
Sniper_Zegai wrote:Thats the other thing, this whole "Elite Gamer" persona that the PS3 has taken on is'nt very good. In fact I say it opened the way for the Wii to be such a success. The whole Blu Ray thing seemed like a technology fad that is being forced down gamers throats when in fact we buy consoles to have fun. And Nintendo took advantage of that. I have'nt got a Wii yet but at the 150 GBP price its going for, I dont see how Sony can hope to compete with those prices.
I don't mind the serious gaming experience, afterall Nintendo is targeted toward a younger audience, ofcourse they have their mature games, but not many. And the Microsoft targeted at older individuals, with Sony is pretty much a mix between the two. Also, I believe some higher-up exc at Nintendo has no desire to compete with Sony or Microsoft, they are pretty much in a different field.

The Blu-ray disc is god-send, the capacity it is able to hold on single and dual layer. DVDs were very over-priced when they came out, give it sometime, technology becomes cheaper when it is easier to make.

How much do you think a PS2 would've cost if it came out around the same time the DVD player first hit the shelves?
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:In response to Pollen. Yes it is in fact true that some of the PS3 games NEED a HD TV to be played much like most PS2 games needed a Dualshock2 controller instead of a 10 dollar controller you may end of having to spend 800 dollars on a new TV.
Give me a list of games that "require" an HDTV, please.

And keep in mind that, just because it has "HD" in the title, doesn't mean it requires an HDTV.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Zeikcied wrote:

And keep in mind that, just because it has "HD" in the title, doesn't mean it requires an HDTV.
LOL I don't think I ever asked that either. wasn't part of that discussion.

anyhow, HDTV or not, it's still too damn expensive for so few decent games. even Final Fantasy 13 looks horrible, although that's no surprise seeing as FF12 was godawful and all of their recent remakes of older games (paging FF3 DS) are terrible too.
Purr.
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Pollensalta wrote:
Zeikcied wrote:

LOL I don't think I ever asked that either. wasn't part of that discussion.

anyhow, HDTV or not, it's still too damn expensive for so few decent games. even Final Fantasy 13 looks horrible, although that's no surprise seeing as FF12 was godawful and all of their recent remakes of older games (paging FF3 DS) are terrible too.
I've not played a PS3 game that requires HD. Resistance, Motorstorm, Full Auto 2, Oblivion, Tekken 5, Gran Turismo HD Concept, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Darkness, Need For Speed Carbon, and Def Jam Icon (and maybe a couple more) all ran perfectly fine on my standard definition television. The Darkness seemed like it was being letterboxed in order to give the HD perspective on an SD television, but that's the only odd thing I noticed.

As for decent games for PS3, it all depends on what you like. I think there are a few really good games on PS3, a couple of which you can get elsewhere. And I think there are a lot of potentially amazing games coming in the next several months. But, again, it depends on what you like.

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of RPGs for the PS3. Or rather the lack of RPGs that have been revealed. Obviously Oblivion has been released, and I love it. I think it's great. But other than FFXIII and White Knight Story, I've not seen much in terms of screenshots or video of other PS3 RPGs. There are quite a few RPGs that have been announced, but few have been revealed, to my knowledge.

What I really want is a PS3 edition of Wild ARMs. With Luceid/Lucied as a central character, like she/he was in the first two games (and Alter Code: F).
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Zeikcied wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of RPGs for the PS3. Or rather the lack of RPGs that have been revealed. Obviously Oblivion has been released, and I love it. I think it's great. But other than FFXIII and White Knight Story, I've not seen much in terms of screenshots or video of other PS3 RPGs. There are quite a few RPGs that have been announced, but few have been revealed, to my knowledge.
Add Folklore to that list, but yeah, its still a short one.

But to me, it looks like we're seeing a lack of RPGs in general nowadays, for any system. Wii has a few, 360 has a few (mainly the Mistwalker games), PS3 has a few, but....what happened to all the RPGs?
EternalOnslaught

I've seen more RPG's hit handhelds as of lately, it might be a trend. Unless there is a fortress of them in the making for all three systems, it is only a matter of time.
But I know there is at least one more RPG that hasn't been release for the PS2 yet.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Oh man, just when I thought Sony was going to clean up its act, it pulls some straight up bullshit like this. They've already discontinued one of their models, and now they're going to make EVERY system sold before August of this year obsolete? The fact that they trumpeted the price cut and didn't say a DAMN thing about the discontinuation until DAYS later seems so... underhanded. Like Sony offered you a nice tasty slice of cake, and just when you're about to bite, they say "surprise! It's full of SCORPIONS!" Just when I was getting ready to forgive them for their previous streak of arrogance, too.

Arrogance, that's the word. At this point, I don't even care about the damn games anymore. For the first time in my entire life, I think I'll actually step around a product I originally planned on buying just because of the behaviour of the company. If a price cut is made, that ought to be a company's way of saying "we want the consumer to be able to access this product". It says that a company cares, at least a shred, about their audience. What this latest maneuver says to me is "we have to unload this obsolete model, let's create the only discount we've offered so far to twist people's arms into buying the system. If they want it at a lower price, the clock's ticking."

GNYAAH. I don't want to miss out on MGS, and I'd throw myself in front of a train if I missed Suikoden VI, but I don't want to succumb to Sony's sleazy techniques. MAN this pisses me off.
Yeah!
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

For me this article says it all about the PS3:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Playstation_3

*EDIT* Don't check this out if you are easily offended.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

OK, Im gonna issue an official apology here

I was totally wrong about the "games need HD TV" thing. I got the info from a freind who owns a PS3 and I actually know why he thought that games "needed" an HD TV. The problem was simple and with a small amount of research is easily addressed.

Last time I trust that idiot

Anyway sorry again folks. So dont let that put you off the PS3. I still stand by my other statements that the PS3 is'nt the best console out there and you'll have just as much fun on a Wii or 360 for almost half the price.

Pollen, what I meant by "The PS2 was'nt a hot item" was, that there was nothing else for it to compete against? The Gamecube and X-Box were miles behind and if you wanted a new console you were'nt exactly spoiled for choice, in a way you had no other choice BUT to buy the PS2 but when the PS3 was released there were other options available that were incredibly cheaper. I mean look at the Gamecube, Im amazed they were'nt giving them out as free samples by the time next-gen was being announced.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Sonic wrote:Oh man, just when I thought Sony was going to clean up its act, it pulls some straight up bullshit like this. They've already discontinued one of their models, and now they're going to make EVERY system sold before August of this year obsolete? The fact that they trumpeted the price cut and didn't say a DAMN thing about the discontinuation until DAYS later seems so... underhanded. Like Sony offered you a nice tasty slice of cake, and just when you're about to bite, they say "surprise! It's full of SCORPIONS!" Just when I was getting ready to forgive them for their previous streak of arrogance, too.
I'm not sure how you think that the previously sold PS3 systems are going to be obsolete. I mean, the 80 Gig system has no new features that the other units don't. And it is really just a 60 Gig unit, minus the PS2 Emotion Engine, and plus 20 extra Gigs and Motorstorm.

I can understand why people are getting upset. But to me, I don't care what Sony or any company says or does, as long as the games are good. I mean, I may get a bit unnerved at one point or another, but to me, it's all about the games. And PS3 has more games on the horizon that I want than the 360.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

I meant "obsolete" to mean outdatde, as in no longer available, not no longer of any use. If I've misused the word, my apologies to the english language- it's suffered so much already.

And I ought to agree with you too. A console is ultimately just the medium through which one accesses games. Sure, these days consoles can play DVDs and BluRays and store music and photos and whatever, but this is all incidental to their primary purpose of allowing me to rot my thinky-bits away with simulated violence. Any reasonable person who doesn't care about the bizzaro-politics existing between fanboys realizes that a console succeeds for fails mostly- but not entirely- on its library. I use to place myself in this camp, patiently awaiting my inevitable PS3 purchase and largely ignoring the mounting negative press, seeing through it to the dignified lineup of Grade A titles just waiting to be absorbed. But I can only take so much abuse. To Sony, I ought to represent a purchase waiting to happen, and if I had been mollycoddled enough the time between now and my ownership of their product would have been greatly decreased. But instead they decided to piss all over my face and demand that I enjoy it. And I did not.
Yeah!
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I agree with both Sonic and Zeikceid on the console switch. It was a cold move on Sony's part. But Im not bothered by it as a user of a PS3, Im bothered by it as a fan of Sony who seem to be making mistakes at every turn. They just dont seem to understand whats happening.

But as Z said. As long as it plays the games with the same qaulity then the 20gb Hard drive difference should'nt really matter. If they play the games then Im cool with it. As I said before its mainly the price Im annoyed with.
EternalOnslaught

Sniper_Zegai wrote:OK, Im gonna issue an official apology here

I was totally wrong about the "games need HD TV" thing. I got the info from a freind who owns a PS3 and I actually know why he thought that games "needed" an HD TV. The problem was simple and with a small amount of research is easily addressed.

Last time I trust that idiot

Anyway sorry again folks. So dont let that put you off the PS3. I still stand by my other statements that the PS3 is'nt the best console out there and you'll have just as much fun on a Wii or 360 for almost half the price.

Pollen, what I meant by "The PS2 was'nt a hot item" was, that there was nothing else for it to compete against? The Gamecube and X-Box were miles behind and if you wanted a new console you were'nt exactly spoiled for choice, in a way you had no other choice BUT to buy the PS2 but when the PS3 was released there were other options available that were incredibly cheaper. I mean look at the Gamecube, Im amazed they were'nt giving them out as free samples by the time next-gen was being announced.
Pollen? :? I'm not Pollen, now I am confused =/

Also, there was competition, but not really worth mentioning, alas Sega dreamcast met it's formiddable doom =(
Zeikcied wrote:
Sonic wrote:Oh man, just when I thought Sony was going to clean up its act, it pulls some straight up bullshit like this. They've already discontinued one of their models, and now they're going to make EVERY system sold before August of this year obsolete? The fact that they trumpeted the price cut and didn't say a DAMN thing about the discontinuation until DAYS later seems so... underhanded. Like Sony offered you a nice tasty slice of cake, and just when you're about to bite, they say "surprise! It's full of SCORPIONS!" Just when I was getting ready to forgive them for their previous streak of arrogance, too.
I'm not sure how you think that the previously sold PS3 systems are going to be obsolete. I mean, the 80 Gig system has no new features that the other units don't. And it is really just a 60 Gig unit, minus the PS2 Emotion Engine, and plus 20 extra Gigs and Motorstorm.

I can understand why people are getting upset. But to me, I don't care what Sony or any company says or does, as long as the games are good. I mean, I may get a bit unnerved at one point or another, but to me, it's all about the games. And PS3 has more games on the horizon that I want than the 360.
The PS3 also has more games on the horizon that I am more interesting than the X-box 360's lineup as well, I guess the only reason I haven't purchase the 360 console is the red ring of death, the PS3 because of the price and the Wii, because Nintendo gave me a bad kick with the Nintendo 64. But minus the emotion engine? Are you saying it has it or not, the new 80GB unit.

And though a bit offtopic, wow 105 games in development for the PSP. http://psp.ign.com/articles/549/549974p1.html
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah does that mean you can't play PS2 games on the 80gig version?