PS3 price cut

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Michael Easton

Re: PS3 price cut

Post by Michael Easton »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
I don't think they're going to handicap their system in any way
Hi! Welcome to Europe where you pay twice as much for less content!
It'll probably be a very long time before Europe sees a price cut - we always get shafted like this.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

daoster wrote:"Raping hoes in a back alley"? I didn't know that was even a game for the Playstation 3!

There are already games that aren't going to be like the ones you've mentioned on the horizon:

- Little Big Planet
- Pain
- Ratchet and Clank
- Folk Lore
- Echo Chrome
- White Knight
- Heavenly Sword
Wow, now I'm even more depressed as none of those games were anything I've ever heard of. . .except for Ratchet and Clank, which I never liked.

I'd love to love the PS3 because the PS2 was so good to me. But it has zero games that I want. If those games come out and they do turn out to be something I'll like then I'll buy the system. But right now with the current stock of games the only one I have even a mild interest in is The Darkness, and I think that would have been more fun on the Wii (snake numchuks anyone?).
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

oh i thought it was both. so the 20gb's controllers are also wireless?
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Oppenheimer wrote:
daoster wrote:"Raping hoes in a back alley"? I didn't know that was even a game for the Playstation 3!

There are already games that aren't going to be like the ones you've mentioned on the horizon:

- Little Big Planet
- Pain
- Ratchet and Clank
- Folk Lore
- Echo Chrome
- White Knight
- Heavenly Sword
Wow, now I'm even more depressed as none of those games were anything I've ever heard of. . .except for Ratchet and Clank, which I never liked.

I'd love to love the PS3 because the PS2 was so good to me. But it has zero games that I want. If those games come out and they do turn out to be something I'll like then I'll buy the system. But right now with the current stock of games the only one I have even a mild interest in is The Darkness, and I think that would have been more fun on the Wii (snake numchuks anyone?).

No, you HAVE to SEE Echochrome, I myself wouldn't care just by seeing the titles alone but fortunately I have seen the E3 confernce videos, it's by far the game for true innovation-seeking gamers, and it has very simple graphics, which gives a sign that the game doesn't give a damn about that category. Japanstudios, (also seen in Rogue Galaxy along with Level-5) is the one making this.

And yeah, you haven't heard White Knight? A Level-5 game too.

Best bet is to see what the land of the rising sun has to offer for the international audience, which will be announced on next week probably or the next TGS.
daoster

Post by daoster »

Oppenheimer wrote:
daoster wrote:Wow, now I'm even more depressed as none of those games were anything I've ever heard of. . .except for Ratchet and Clank, which I never liked.

What's the problem here? You're depressed because you haven't heard of these titles? You haven't heard of Heavenly Sword, only one of the most hyped up PS3 games this side of MGS4? Or Little Big Planet, a game that's been causing a buzz ever since it was revealed? Well, okay, it's not my problem that you haven't heard of these games, but how can you "want any PS3 games" if you haven't actually, you know, looked at PS3 games...
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I promise you I'll check everything out on the list, but what I'm saying is that right now, there aren't any games worth buying a PS3 regardless of the price. Right now PS3 sucks. Maybe that'll change in the future when these games come out and 2008 will be the year of the PS3 but right now it's the year of the Wii/DS. A price cut doesn't matter to me without games out right now that I want to play. I don't buy systems in anticipation of good games only after the games have come out and been reviewed.

Edit
but how can you "want any PS3 games" if you haven't actually, you know, looked at PS3 games...
I mean in the stores. I've looked at all the games that are out and don't want any of them.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I mean in the stores. I've looked at all the games that are out and don't want any of them.
I'll agree that the PS3 doesn't have much out right now (Ninja Gaiden Sigma just came out about a week ago, though), but have a lot of good games coming down the pipeline. Besides the ones Daoster mentioned, and the hyped MGS4, I'm excited about Lair (which I mentioned in another thread) - comes out next month, and is really worth taking a look at (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a10t9qvVus ) .
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

I agree with Oppenheimer here. anytime I go into any store that sells games i get depressed looking at the selection "sarcasm" of ps3 games.

The first 8 months of the ps3 has sucked, bad, not much content on PSN,(Playstation Network) half the games on the system as of this moment are either games that you can buy on the ps2 or games that were scrapped for the ps2 and instead made for the ps3, which doesn't make any sense since they look and play like a ps2 game.
So far there has been nothing next-gen, or even close to next-gen gameplay, graphics, innovation on the ps3 as of yet.

Next year, and the rest of this year looks very, perhaps even extremely good in terms of the games that are coming out, you got your innovaters, Little Big Planet, Echodrome, Home, your graphics, Heavenly Sword, MGS4, Assassins Creed Killzone 2.

There is a lack of RPG's though, a rather large one.
The only games that I have heard that are of the rpg ilk and coming out for the ps3 are the upcoming Final Fantasy games...which i'm not sure you can even call rpg's anymore cause SE has so completly butchered the series.

I would love to see a Suikoden game on the ps3, but at this point and time I would happily settle for just any good RPG. (SE games don't count)
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

I don't think the PS3 "sucks." But it is just a matter of opinion, one way or the other.

I love my PS3.

Personally, I'm looking forward to many of the games mentioned previously, as well as Unreal Tournament 3. The PS3 version (no word on if the 360 version will do the same) will support PC-style mods. Which includes maps, game types, mutators, etc. And they also announced that you can install the full UT3 game on the PS3 hard drive (but you'll still need the disc for copy protection purposes).

I'm probably going to get that, if the PC version doesn't support Linux.

PS3 may not have a lot right now, but the future looks bright.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I am optimistic about the future of the PS3, the price cut was a push in the right direction. I only hope that Sony continues these pushes and not take a step back. And their line up of games look promising at least. I don't own a PS3, but this may get me to buy one soon.

Also, Heavenly Sword looks pretty good. I just up some kind of Suikoden VI news appears sometime in the near future.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I have an Xbox 360 and plan on buying a Wii before Christmas but even with the apparent price cuts I dont plan on buying a PS3 maybe for another year yet. The price is way too high even with the reduction its more expensive than the Xbox 360 by more than 100 GBP. And even then chances are the Xbox may become even cheaper coming up to christmas to take advantage of the holiday boom.

I just dont see this having any real effect until the PS3's price drops lower than 300 GBP. And even then I dont know because the games themselves will still be incredibly expensive when games for the 360 and Wii are usually about 30 GBP if you are willing to wait a month or so for the release price to wear off.

All in all, I think this is a good thing but just becuase the price is reduced does'nt mean that the PS3 is cheap by any means.

Oh yeah, you also need an HD television to play some of the games. Thats about another 800 GBP.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

So who heard the news? Apparently a couple months after the "price cut" they're discontinuing the 60 GB system too.

So you get a little more, but you're still gonna have to pay $600 for it because there will be no $500 systems.
Purr.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Pollensalta wrote:So who heard the news? Apparently a couple months after the "price cut" they're discontinuing the 60 GB system too.

So you get a little more, but you're still gonna have to pay $600 for it because there will be no $500 systems.
I heard about this. How is it that their marketing system does'nt realise that most people just cant afford 600 dollars. Or 500 GBP for that matter.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
daoster

Post by daoster »

People can't afford a 600 dollar system? While it's true that PS3 isn't selling like the Wii because of its price, in the amount of time it's been out, it's already sold more than the PS2 did in the months following the PS2 launch. At least in Europe and N. America, Japan is the exception, but that's another subject.

It's disappointing that this price drop wasn't the real price drop people were hoping for, but I'm hoping that there will be a price drop on the 80 gig by the holiday season. Compared to the 60 gig, the 80 gig is actually cheaper to produce, so they can actually afford a price drop on that.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Pollensalta wrote:So who heard the news? Apparently a couple months after the "price cut" they're discontinuing the 60 GB system too.

I heard about that, it may be a marketing strategy. I heard from various places that the price of the 80GB may go down once the 60GB runs dry, this being true? No idea, if so kudos then. If not, Sony is A $$%$%($%
Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Oh yeah, you also need an HD television to play some of the games. Thats about another 800 GBP.
You need a HDTV to play some of the games? I thought that the HDTV only made the quality of the pictures better, and that you don't actually need a expensive HDTV, I could be wrong so someone set this right?
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden