PS3 price cut

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
EternalOnslaught

Re: PS3 price cut

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Zeikcied wrote:
EternalOnslaught wrote:One question has been bugging my mind.

Is Sony going to make a 100GB Hardrive version, and make the new 80GB HD version $499? And keeping doing it until it reaches 120GB, the same as the Xbox elite.
I doubt it. Sony will eventually stop. Or, at the very least, they'll keep several months in between each version.
Also, the price drop has actually boosts Sony sales a lot, I believe worldwide the units sold worldwide is around 40 million. Apparently this stragedy might be working.
Maybe 4 million, but not 40 million. The 360 hasn't even hit 12 million yet. We won't see any console hitting 40 million for at least two more years, if not longer.
Sorry about that, I just realize what I had typed when I made that post, I meant 4 not 40. My apologies if I confused anyone.

I know they will eventually stop making versions, but I believe the only reason they decide to release the 80GB version was a reaction to Xbox360 Elite, did they plan this for quite some time or what? But yeah, 4 million plus units sold worldwide isn't bad. It is anything but a failure
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

EternalOnslaught wrote:I know they will eventually stop making versions, but I believe the only reason they decide to release the 80GB version was a reaction to Xbox360 Elite, did they plan this for quite some time or what? But yeah, 4 million plus units sold worldwide isn't bad. It is anything but a failure
Considering the price, and the current lack of must-have exclusives, I'd say the PS3 is doing well enough for itself. It's really lagging behind the other two, but it will probably start catching up.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Well 360 had a good head start on the other two, the Wii hasn't even caught up yet and it's been selling like hot cakes.
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Queens Knight wrote:Well 360 had a good head start on the other two, the Wii hasn't even caught up yet and it's been selling like hot cakes.
The Wii is only about one to two million units away from the 360, though. I'd say it's done an amazing job at closing the gap.
EternalOnslaught

Nintendo finally hit the oil, they failed with Nintendo 64, and were only slightly better with the gamecube. I suppose you have to hit it eventually, I am glad that they never gave up. In the following years from now, will be the true test for consumers as more games come out, online networks expanding. I don't want to see another Sega with either of these console making corporations. I believe all three systems will be a big success in the next few years, despite glitches with systems or the price. I just only wish games on the PS3 and Xbox360 were still $49.99. But I suppose that can't be helped.

I can see Sony trying to release a silmer version of the PS3 soon down the road. Perhaps the Wii will have a different version soon.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

My pal and I recently made the next-gen plunge. I got a Wii, and a week or so later, he picked up a PS3. The Wii's been fun on a bun, although I'm looking forward to titles with a bit more staying power. I don't want to suggest that I'm bored with it, but the console is still young, and I'm excited by its potential (for conversation's sake, I've got Super Paper Mario, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Trauma Centre: Second Opinion).

The PS3 has been fun for the most part too. Although I'm still "morally opposed" to purchasing one, I have no reservations about playing the thing. The only full game he's got is Armored Core, but we've tried a few demos, including Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (I have a sweet-tooth for Dynasty Warriors games) and Ghost Recon: Something something (I usually don't go for Tom Clancy stuff, but it was pretty cool). What'll really get me going on this system will be the release of MGS4, by itself nearly absolving my PS3phobia.

Also, the 360 getting Left 4 Dead has me excited. I mean, TWO freaking wicked zombie games on one console? That's fighting dirty. Microsoft knows I'll happily part with any sum of money for zombie-related violence, and I am literally sweating under the effort of resisting the urge to buy the system just for L4D and Dead Rising. If it weren't for MGS4 being a PS3 exclusive, I would probably buy a 360 at my next opportunity. But I suppose the exclusivity-tug-of-war is how the game is being played these days.
Yeah!
EternalOnslaught

Seems like Microsoft is cutting pirces as well, not as severe as Sony. Australia also got their Xbox360 prices cut, from $649 to $579 AUD. I wonder if the Wii will cut its prices soon, I doubt it though since it is pretty cheap starting out.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

not only is Nintendo finally enjoying market share success again, but it's turned back into a very profitable company. Microsoft and Sony are paying big time with their tech-obsessed competition. Nintendo was very smart with its new innovative systems using existing technology while the 360 and PS3 are merely hardware-power upgrades of their previous systems. it's why Macs became so popular recently vs the PC... innovation (even if it was just for aesthetic value) over unnecessary extra computing power.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

KFCrispy wrote:not only is Nintendo finally enjoying market share success again, but it's turned back into a very profitable company. Microsoft and Sony are paying big time with their tech-obsessed competition. Nintendo was very smart with its new innovative systems using existing technology while the 360 and PS3 are merely hardware-power upgrades of their previous systems. it's why Macs became so popular recently vs the PC... innovation (even if it was just for aesthetic value) over unnecessary extra computing power.

Nintendo is on top of the mountain right now largley due to the huge success of the DS and the Wii but before those 2 systems Nintendo was still a profitable company with things like GBA and Pokemon

Pokemon itself has given them millions of bucks and this is before DS came out
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/823/823425p1.html
we know for sure a new model has been submitted to the FCC, but what will this new model have that's different..

how many models of the same thing can you make? is it actually saving Sony money, or is it merely a continuation of their botches business plan...
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Zeikcied wrote:
Queens Knight wrote:Well 360 had a good head start on the other two, the Wii hasn't even caught up yet and it's been selling like hot cakes.
The Wii is only about one to two million units away from the 360, though. I'd say it's done an amazing job at closing the gap.

The Wii has surpassed the 360 now
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

even after the Halo surge?
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Wii passed the 360 pre-Halo 3. Although I think most people who want to play Halo 3 already had a 360 before the game came out. I'd doubt there were huge sales in consoles due to Halo 3. Nothing like what FFXIII will do for the PS3, regardless of price.