They don't make silent heroes like Tir Mcdohl anymore

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
devin23

Post by devin23 »

I have to say, Tir is by far one of my favorite "silent" protagonist in a console RPG, rivaling Crono from Chrono Trigger. Tir is just so impartial, and he owns a powerful and almost sinister rune, yet he remains a good guy that follows the grandel schemes of things, willing to sacrifice to acheive them. Man i would t love to have him back in another suikoden series, 2 suikoden games of Tir is not enough! I'd gladly have him over Viki in every suikoden game anyday, maybe not jeane though... :mrgreen:
devin23

Re: They don't make silent heroes like Tir Mcdohl anymore

Post by devin23 »

oops, didn't notice a character forum. Mods, please move this to there if its not appropriate to post this here.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I think they won't move this one either because it's sort of a "favorite" topic, which isn't legal here.

By the way, at least I agree with your opinion.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Umm... Suikoden V, the newest Suikoden game has a silent hero.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I believe he means "a silent hero like Tir", not silent heroes in general.

Beyond that, I have no idea.
devin23

Re:

Post by devin23 »

Jowy Atreides wrote:I believe he means "a silent hero like Tir", not silent heroes in general.

Beyond that, I have no idea.
Right. Tir is 100x cooler than the hero in suikoden V, though he isn't bad, i don't like the way he dresses and Tir is just... cooler and has a cooler rune too. Tir= one of the best silent hero in an rpg, ever. Plus, he is from the orignal suikoden, so he has senority. I love protogonists in original games, i have nostagia favorism towards them.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I don't know how you can say one silent protagonist is better than another. They don't actually do or say anything, so how do you know what they're like? By their very nature they're a absense of personality.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Uhm...yeah They're silent for a reason they really can't be better than the other. Tir isn't bad I guess, really hard to judge someone who is always silent. He's bascially the personality of the player even though that only goes so far.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

He wasnt always silent you know! He was so talkative back then... before he became a fugitive, but he was beginning to talk again, and then his dad died... then gremio... then ted died... Gremio came back but he lost a very close friend and a father. That is when he started being quiet :mrgreen:
Nick Bruiser
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

Silent heros are supposed to reflect the humans playing the game... As others said, I'm not really certain how you can prefer one silent hero to another, unless you think the options you're given as the two characters are different. However, consistent throughout the Suikoden games, most situations offer hilarious/silly responses, and more serious/appropriate responses, regardless of the hero. (I admit that I hate when a character yells, "Your hair is on fire!" and your two options for responses are: "..." and "I see..." Is there really a difference between those two choices?)
Iku

Post by Iku »

my favourite was lazlo, even with his awful shorts and great name, he seemed really shy and nice which conflicted with the punishment part of his rune! (saying that i guess thats why he mastered it) he seems to be one of the few main characters with a set/official personaility!
in suikoden tactics he was just like i imagined him to be....... and his hair is like mine...... :o
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

I think Riou shows a little more personality than Tir, showing certain feelings about Jowy's betrayal, Nanami's "death", and this don't depend on our choices. I think he is the best silent character.
gradeAbra

Post by gradeAbra »

I agree with TC. Tir is my favourite Hero of all RPG that exist. Well he look great with that cool weapon and the all powerful Souleater True Rune.
Grade"A"Brassiere
Mystical

Post by Mystical »

I think it's more of a player-preference.

For me, I like Riou the most.
I like Prince Falenas and Tir McDohl, too, but not as much as Riou.
The only one I didn't like very much was Lazlo.
Yet again, that's only my thought.
Maybe I didn't like Lazlo much because Suikoden IV was the worst for me. *shrug*

Anyway, there are also other games with good silent protagonists.
Serge from Chrono Cross and Chrono(Crono?) from Chrono Trigger are all I can think of right now.
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Mystical wrote:I think it's more of a player-preference.

For me, I like Riou the most.
I like Prince Falenas and Tir McDohl, too, but not as much as Riou.
The only one I didn't like very much was Lazlo.
Yet again, that's only my thought.
Maybe I didn't like Lazlo much because Suikoden IV was the worst for me. *shrug*

Anyway, there are also other games with good silent protagonists.
Serge from Chrono Cross and Chrono(Crono?) from Chrono Trigger are all I can think of right now.
I totally agree with you. Riou is the best and Lazlo is the worst. I hate Suikoden IV.