They don't make silent heroes like Tir Mcdohl anymore

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
SuikoMJM

Re: They don't make silent heroes like Tir Mcdohl anymore

Post by SuikoMJM »

Silent protagonists work better with games that don't use voice actors. When you bring sound into the equation, the character that isn't talking, rather flailing about in silent expression, just sticks out like a sore thumb. At least, that's my experience with it.

It's one thing when a character seems to have that natural silent disposition, but using Suikoden V as an example, there were too many moments where it just seemed like the Hero really had something to say, as if it was in his character to speak. The game forcibly used Lyon to compensate for this, which I thought was too obvious, and it only served to diminish the Hero in my eyes.
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

devin23 wrote:I have to say, Tir is by far one of my favorite "silent" protagonist in a console RPG, rivaling Crono from Chrono Trigger. Tir is just so impartial, and he owns a powerful and almost sinister rune, yet he remains a good guy that follows the grandel schemes of things, willing to sacrifice to acheive them. Man i would t love to have him back in another suikoden series, 2 suikoden games of Tir is not enough! I'd gladly have him over Viki in every suikoden game anyday, maybe not jeane though... :mrgreen:
I also agree with u, i mean they dont make the other silent protagonists like Tir any more, hasnt anyone noticed he was the only hero that could say the word "hell"?

He's got more guts and power then any other main character in suikoden, plus he had an unusually high magic stat, even before he reached lvl 60 he could already cast the final spell of a rune more then once!! :)

Tir is definitly by far the best silent hero in the series so far.
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
Quing

Post by Quing »

Yeah, I agree that Tir was the best silent protagonist. He had a slightly impish personality, but with a sense of sobriety to counter it. I think that he developed a maturity that many of the other heroes lacked. I will say, however, that Freyjadour also matured greatly over the course of the game.

As far as non-Suikoden silent protagonists go, I'm going to have to say that Rudy from the first Wild ARMs takes the prize. He has a kindness that is difficult to rival.

So by what basis am I judging the worth of people who never speak? I think it's mostly in the choices you're given, though it also is in the choices that you don't have. Because most video games are not entirely open-ended, or even mostly open ended, there are certain choices which you must make and certain choices which you cannot. The heroes of the Suikoden series must lead armies to the defense of their causes. They cannot surrender to the enemy. They cannot sell out their cause. They cannot slaughter villages of innocents. But it's not just the big things that show the character of the protagonists. Riou cannot scream at his sister that he hates her and wishes she would die. Tir cannot refuse to take the Soul Eater from Ted. Neither of them can tell Luc to stop being an annoying brat. Ultimately, most silent protagonists are not soulless, but merely soft-spoken.
genso19

Post by genso19 »

I agree, it depends on the choices given

but I like Riou the most
especially (for me) the best of his silent part, when he defeated Amada first time, Apple can't believed Riou won the duel, but Riou is silent so he did not speak, and nanami said that Riou is stronger than what he looks like (I think the actual line is "Don't worry, he's stronger than what he looks)

And the one with rikimaru, where you could choose - "What's wrong, you bum?"
I haven't played III and IV yet, so I can't compare things still but for the ones I played, I believe riou is the best
"Hey, listen up! These Godwin traitors got no respect for justice. And sure, sometimes justice is just a little word. But sometimes justice is three feet of sharp steel smashing in your face. Now, let's go get 'em!"