What is your name and what does it mean?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

My name is Ryan Im not sure if it has any real meaning or named after soeone famous or something. Im not really sure what my second name means, its Garside by the way. If you find out what it means let me know.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:So, it means "God's Helmet"? That's pretty cool....So it is German....we suspected. My grandpa and his brother had an argument over whether it was German or Swiss. Looks like Grandpa won. XD
Haha... thats pretty funny, yeah its German, looks like your Grandpa is the wiseman of the bunch huh? I think God's Helmet is cool too, its something special... names can tell you a lot about the world and the past, present, and even future, if you think about it.

Fu Su Lu, I know its kind of a common name in Spain... but not exactly that common or "as" common in Germany.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:My name is Ryan Im not sure if it has any real meaning or named after soeone famous or something. Im not really sure what my second name means, its Garside by the way. If you find out what it means let me know.
Ask and ye shall receive:

Ryan

From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Riain meaning "descendent of Rian". The given name Rian probably means "little king" (from Irish rí "king" combined with a diminutive suffix).

http://www.behindthename.com/php/search ... perator=or

Garside

This interesting surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is a locational name from Gartside or Garside in Oldham, Lancashire. The placename derives from the Middle English "garth", an enclosure (a development of the Old Norse "garthr"), with the Olde English pre 7th Century "side" a hill slope; hence "enclosure on the hill slope". Locational surnames were developed when former inhabitants of a place moved to another area, usually to seek work, and were best identified by the name of their birthplace. It may also be a topographical name for a "dweller in the enclosure on the hill slope". Topographical names were some of the earliest names to be created, as topographical features, whether natural or man-made, provided obvious and convenient means of identification. Richard atte Garthend is noted in the 1379 Poll Tax Returns of Yorkshire. The surname can also be found as Gartside and Garthside. Recordings from Lancashire Church Registers include the christening of John Garside on December 20th 1558, at St. Mary's Church, Oldham. A Coat of Arms granted to the Garside family is silver, with a black galley, her sails furled, red flags, between three red crosses crosslet fitchee, the Crest being two daggers in saltire proper. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Robert de Garcesside, which was dated 1333, in the "Registers of Oldham", Lancashire, during the reign of King Edward 111, known as "The Father of the Navy", 1327 - 1377. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Garside
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Well since this has turned into a, "please help me thread..." If anyone knows the African origins of, "Chad" I'd be much obliged. I'm aware of the gaelic and old english meanings.
Gungnir

Re: What is your name and what does it mean?

Post by Gungnir »

Iokua and for the life of me can't remember what it means gotta ask the parent's.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I looked on this site, and I typed in my name "Deon"

aaaaaaaaaaand it frakkin means "Divine Queen"

I laughed so hard. Irony is hilarious.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Yehoshua (Hebrew) --> Iesous (Greek) --> Iosue (Latin) --> Josue (Spanish)
|.............................|__> Jesus (English)
|__> Joshua (English)

It means "The Lord saves."
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Brian here! My brother, when we were young, told me that it means 'strong'. 0_0

woot!
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

my little brother's name is Brian

spelled exactly the same as opposed to the common Filipino spelling of Bryan

my name's Malcolm

like the sitcom Malcolm in the Middle

i was born way before that series though

and i have no idea why that's my name
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Mathias (in English: Matthew).. gift of god/heaven.

Hell, what a christian name^^
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

i really like the name Mathias

especially when pronounced Ma-tha-yas
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Mio wrote:i really like the name Mathias

especially when pronounced Ma-tha-yas
!!

Ah... Malcolm.. I though you were my brother. XD

Mathias you say? You're in the Philippines so it's not Ma-tha-yas here.

It's Mat-chas. XD
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

yes it's commonly pronounce as Matyas

but when i first heard it being pronounced as Ma-tha-yas

that's when i liked it better

and realized how ridiculous we Filipino pronounce some names

<_<
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

My name is Emily/Emiri -Emily means industrious as far as I know. My mother's favorite book when she was young was the little princess and that's where she got the name from hence why Emiri is in katakana rather than a kanji spelling. My middle name is Michiko which uses the kanji for beauty and wisdom, ko is child of course.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

so your name is Emily Emiri Michiko Ko ??

>_< sorry I'm confused