Natural Affinity?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
KC_MCDOHL

Natural Affinity?

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I can only hope that you may read this entry without too much judgment and conviction. I understand that some of it may sound pathetic and somewhat schizophrenic but it would be gladly appreciated if you do not reply with harassment unless you really have to. I'm sure I can reply with valid answers anyhow...

How many people in this forum have a natural affinity with the Suikoden series? Especially that of Suikoden 1 and 2? Do people have the same connection with most RPG's they have played, especially that of the Suikoden series? I'm talking about the absolute ecstasy of being in the world of the game of which you are playing. The relationship you build up with the characters and the storylines. The way in which the music seems to touch and resonate with the notes of your very soul. The way in which the forests, the villages and the scenery seem to fill you with vitality and make you smile inside. Its a kind of serene beauty. Isolated and unique to the point of constant melancholy in the air. Do you all feel this same way too?

I know it all sounds pretty sad but all this is coming from someone who know longer plays any computer games and certainly doesn’t have time dive into the very deep world of RPG's. For those of you that also have little or no time for RPG's anymore, do you still feel the same way about them? I constantly feel like I may have betrayed myself. That I am no longer fulfilling or working towards some obscure dream. I'm pretty sure now, looking back, that the reason I played Suikoden so god damn much was because I may have been convinced, subconsciously, that the more I played Suikoden - the closer I was to actually getting there someday. Sometimes I cast my mind back and it actually feels like I was there, in the forests, in the villages, with the characters, in the battles. I miss it all allot, to the point of desperation and nostalgia. I realise that all this most probably stems from the dissatisfaction of reality and the disliking of the world around you. Hence why you dive your mind and heart into a fantasy world of epic proportions. But sometimes it feels more than that, like as if it was all meant for a reason. lol RPG's are pretty evil. The addiction follows you for life (withdrawal symptoms included) and the depressing storylines can rip a sensitive soul apart. They should probably be banned.

With all that said, these games are still god damn awesome. However long its been since any of us played them, the morals in the story still follow you and the soundtracks make excellent listening.

Can anyone relate to any of this?

KC
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

im very connected with suikoden games, so much so that some of the music can make me angry, or sad, really quickly.

but im like that with alot of rpgs, so im not sure if its what your refering to
KC_MCDOHL

big way

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yea, I suppose thats what I'm reffreing to. Not only do these things make you sad or angry, but do they affect your life in a BIG way?
Iku

Post by Iku »

i think its like you said, we're just trying to escape reality, i mean im quite content with my life, but the adventures and action that happens in games, is so much more, so much more exciting and interesting, because the suikoden games have a continuity aswell as characters you empathise with and a really involving storyline combined with moving music, it makes it seem more real then other games and our lives look dull, ordinary and mundane! but could any of you seriously enjoy living in suikoden, what toilets and healthcare! :wink:
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
KC_MCDOHL

Suikoden Rehabilitation anyone?

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

hahaha, Healthcare? Just use a Mega Medicine or Antitoxidant. Toilets? I thought thats what Rockland was? lol nah you are right though, life does seem pretty boring in comparison. But just how damaging is this exactly to the individual? Have you ever played Suikoden for hours and then when you go outside with a friend or whoever you feel so spaced, disorientated and detatched? The real world no longer interests you and all you can think about is either what you have to do next on Suikoden, or a sad part that has just happend in the storyline

lol I'm actualy pretty glad I do not play them anymore but wish I could shake off the memories of having done so, cause they follow me everywhere.

Suikoden Rehabilitation? Good Idea?
KC
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

hehe Iku, I agree with you. Games are more exciting and interesting. I mean its an ADVENTURE!! Our life is like... sit at home, or go to work every day making money.
Nick Bruiser
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

I don't think of my life as "boring" as most, instead i try to think positive about it, even when going through hardships, i always try to find out things such as; "Why am i here?" and "What is the purpose of my life on this earth?", even if i have found a solution to that, i still try to figure out the sole purpose of my existence, so with that said even though life may not be the best, even though it might be boring, theres always something you could do. Its what i've been taught though, i can't just think that way of a video game, no matter which one, i do spend tons of time playing Suikoden and others and i think they're interesting and ofcourse may "appear" to be more interesting than reality itself but thats all due to the fact that its all "made" by people and they designed it so that they can make anything they want happen in it, with reality you have to choose your own path and go from there.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
KC_MCDOHL

Natural Affinity

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yea, you are right. I'm in total agreement with you. I don't think my life is totaly boring in comparison, I do have alot of good things going on in my life. It's always right to think positivley about things and to try and see the positive side to things even when they go wrong. I guess the purpose of me writing this particular thread is to try and reach people who have felt or still do feel the very same way about Suikoden. It's been almost 8 years now since I first played Suikoden and almost 2 years since I last played it....but its still there, in my thoughts and emotions. It's still there in a BIG way and I have been affected by it. So please keep reading this Suikoden-fans and dont be afraid do speak up. Surely there are more of you out there that feel the same way? I'd hate to think I'm all alone with this one.

Thanks for the replies so far guys :)

KC
KC_MCDOHL

Re: Natural Affinity?

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Oh come on guys, you cant be serious? Is this all the justice that this post deserves? Surely there are more amongst you that have been deeply touched by this game? Surely there is another sensitive individual amongst you that can pour his heart out in relation to all I have written? I thank those that have replied but I’m quite disappointed with the results here to be honest. Surely more of you have the sac to speak up for this cause? As dedicated Suikoden fans I would say its your prerogative and your right.
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

I actually like my boring life, I enjoy what I have. XD

My favorite rpg series is shadow hearts, particularly SH 1 and covenant. I don't think any of the other series has had as much of an emotional impact on me.

Suikoden I find enjoyable, after SH it is my 2nd favorite series. I always liked the theme of people coming together for a common cause (Suikoden III having best example of this). Overall just a fun game to immerse myself in. It does however lack a bit of realism, but that helps to keep the games lighter and stop from being depressing.

Well, I guess for me, it's more like a glimpse into another world/culture rather than an escape from reality. I enjoy the adventure stories because they are fun to watch unfold in front of me, but I never really wished I was apart of them. I know that if I was in the position of the hero's I would probably be a lot more stressed out. XD
Last edited by Kagiya on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:Oh come on guys, you cant be serious? Is this all the justice that this post deserves? Surely there are more amongst you that have been deeply touched by this game? Surely there is another sensitive individual amongst you that can pour his heart out in relation to all I have written? I thank those that have replied but I’m quite disappointed with the results here to be honest. Surely more of you have the sac to speak up for this cause? As dedicated Suikoden fans I would say its your prerogative and your right.
Stop double-posting. If people don't want to respond to your post, they're not going to.
Purr.
daoster

Post by daoster »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:Oh come on guys, you cant be serious? Is this all the justice that this post deserves? Surely there are more amongst you that have been deeply touched by this game? Surely there is another sensitive individual amongst you that can pour his heart out in relation to all I have written? I thank those that have replied but I’m quite disappointed with the results here to be honest. Surely more of you have the sac to speak up for this cause? As dedicated Suikoden fans I would say its your prerogative and your right.
Maybe because a lot of us don't feel "deeply connected" into our video games like you do. Sorry for the disappointment.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I love Suikoden, but it isn't my lifeblood or anything.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

The grass is always greener on the other side, eh? If you can't stop fantasizing about a video game to the point that it's interfering with your everyday life- even after two years of distance from the series- you may want to get a hobby, or something. The actual world has a lot more to offer than any video game, but if you aren't looking for it you'll never find it.
Yeah!
Egan Family

Post by Egan Family »

Yea, im very connected to the game, but only to escape reality.....

It just pretty cool to roam the land, recruting people into MY army, and to have orchastrated music to match my mood, also it would be pretty cool that i can kill bees with a word or sumthing lol
Attempting to Get 108 SoD in:
Suikoden V
Suikoden II

Finished:
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden (Yep I gots all the original Discs for PS)