Playstation 3

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Playstation 3

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well it shocked the hell out of me but I can't find any topic on the PS3 in the general forum. Well consider one made.

I have a few questions about it:

Will it be able to play Playstation 1 games on it? In other words will it be 2x backwards compatible? I want to make sure I can still play my Suikoden and Suikoden II on it.

Also, will you still be able to play DVD videos on it? My PS2 is dying and should buy a DVD player since my PS2 isn't doing a good job playing DVD movies anymore but if the PS3 can do that I won't bother.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

it should be as BC with ps1 games as the ps2 was, and im pretty sure it will play dvds, since it can read dvd discs obviousley since its BC with the ps2
Basel

Post by Basel »

You will be able to play you PS1 and PS2 games on PS3 and future consoles as long as the developers of those games adhere to the TRC (Technical Requirements Checklist).
SCE president Ken Kutaragi asked developers to adhere to the TRC to facilitate compatibility with future PlayStations, stating that the company was having some difficulty getting backward compatibility with games that had not followed the TRCs. "Either it's accidental or on purpose; there's actually a lot of games that don't follow the TRC.". It has been reported that initial PS3 units will include the CPU/rasterizer combination chip used in slim PS2 (EE+GS) to achieve backward compatibility.
The one thing that keeps me excited about PS3 is the fact that Linux will be pre-installed on the PS3 hard drive :D
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I'm stupid, so teach me, Basel, why Linux, or any OS, is needed on the HDD of the ps3?

Like I said, I'm dumb when it comes to technical stuff. I make up for it with my skills of pwnage and modding *mods you before you do something worth modding* <_< Just answer the question and no one will be hurt.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Mainly because, with the OS, people'll be able to customise the machine to their liking. Plus, SONY wish to try and market this thing as a PC. What's a PC without an OS?

Still, can't wait for some of the homebrew codes to come out, see what they can do!

But, to be honest, I'm more exicted about the Wii. Mainly because the PS3 is coming out in 2007 here and will cost £425.
Basel

Post by Basel »

As Feldoon said, Sony is marketing PS3 as powerful super computer that you could use instead of your pc. As a matter of fact some companies are planning to use the system for their own supercomputing clusters.

As an end user, you could use PS3 for your daily activities such as browsing the Internet, image and audio editing as well as office related tasks. Developers would be able to use the PS3 since it would iclude development libraries along with web and database servers.

There are so many things you could do with the new PS. As a matter of fact I might stop using my pc once I got PS3. Well, this won't happen till the realese of the next Suikoden :wink:

EDIT: I forgot to mension that it is still unknown whether Linux will be running the PS3 or another custom made OS. What it is know so far is that the HD will ship with Linux installed. By the way, on October 17th a company, who got an agreemeant with SCEI to develope a complete Linux OS for the PS3, announced the release of that version for $49.95
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Hot Like Wasabi

Post by Hot Like Wasabi »

-The Magicbox

Sony plans to offer the entire library of PSone games through PlayStation online store, players can purchase the games online and play on PS3 and PSP, excluding games with licensing issues. Some of those hard to find titles like Motor Toon GP and Vib Ribbon will be available soon.

So finally everyone can experience Suikoden II without paying a fortune or having to be able to read Japanese.
Basel

Post by Basel »

This is great news "Hot Like Wasabi"
I just read this on another forum and thought that you might be interested in knowing that PS3 is going to be region free.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html
March 22, 2006 - In a Q&A session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world, and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah if you're that crazy about buying one right away, pre-order from the EU or something O_o (it's too late in the US, and i'm sure it's too late in Japan)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

EU isn't getting it till later next year so by then a new shipment should have arrived in the US anyway.

And not to forget that EU uses a different power grid so you'd need a power converter that steps up the voltage and those are way more expensive than step-downs.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Oh good lord don't buy it right away. It'll price drop quite quickly. Besides the games its debuing with aren't very good, they're mostly 2 year old computer games.

Good to know about the backwards compatible and the DVD functionality.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

The only reason no one writes virii for linux is because, percentage wise, almost no one uses it.

if you suddenly drop 8 million PS3s into america that have Linux on them, it becomes a very ripe target for exploitation.

Because the more PC-Like these game systems get, the more likely they will be to get exploited or possibly even ruined due to malicious worms and virii.
Basel

Post by Basel »

I'm sorry for going off topic but this has to be clarified.

Linux and other Unix-like operating systems are built from the group up with a robust, secure and well designed modular architecture. This does not mean that Linux is immune to viruses and malware. However, to do any real harm on you Linux Desktop, crackers need to have root access. For cracker to install any software system wide, they need root permissions. That makes a virus for Linux pretty much ineffective, and that's why you don't need AV software, as long as you are very careful about using the root account.. So you can say that there are no crackers writing viruses for Linux because of it good security model and modular design than the lack of Linux malware in general.

By the way, you only need an Antivirus application on Linux if you need to protect Windows clients, to which you serve files. Linux itself is quite resistant to viruses. On a standalone Linux PC, you don't need an Antivirus application at all.
Some common questions from new linux users coming from windows:
1. Where is the Anti-Virus program?
2. Where is the Anti-Spyware program?
3. Where is the Firewall program?

Linux's answers:
1. You don't actually need one.
2. Look up ^
3. It's built in :D
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

The first batch of ps3 games aren't my type. However, '07 will be good.

Sony did not say ps3 is backwards compatible for the ps1 and ps2, but they said, the ps3 WILL play your old ps1 and ps2 games. It's not enough for them to say "it's backwards compatible.".
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Oppenheimer wrote:Oh good lord don't buy it right away. It'll price drop quite quickly. Besides the games its debuing with aren't very good, they're mostly 2 year old computer games.

Good to know about the backwards compatible and the DVD functionality.
Agreed.

Our EB was limited to 16 units for preorders at launch - this is an estimated amount, and doesn't even guarantee the customer a unit at launch, just that they'd be next in line.

The vast majority of the people in line (there were about 30-40) were one of these two people:

1) the ones that wanted it just because it was a PS3 and couldn't even list one title they wanted to get for it

and

2) the ones that thought they were going to be able to sell it on ebay for a profit.

My thought is that so many people are going to try to resell it on ebay but nobody is going to buy it so complete idiots are going to be stuck with systems they don't even want for the time being because nothing good comes out this year.
Purr.