Dealing with bad eye sight

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Dealing with bad eye sight

Post by dragonmasterx »

This thread is not about how to prevent bad eye sight, but rather about how to deal with it, for those of us who already have bad eyes.

Do you wear glasses, contact lenses, or have you gotten laser surgery?

Last time I asked, the eye doctor said I'm not fit for contact lenses. I think the reason he gave was that my astigmatism is too high. So I wear glasses. My vision is about 400 on both eyes.

I've considered laser eye surgery. It would cost me $3500, which is after a $500 discount because I know a friend who did his LASIK eye surgery there many years ago. I don't exactly have $3500 to spare though and there are some things to consider, like permanent blindness and other side effects resulting from failed surgery. But if successful, no more glasses means I won't have to feel them brushing against my face anymore, no more "Damn, my glasses are so dirty. Time to wash them," no more worrying about steam getting on them when drinking hot beverages, no more "damn, where'd I put my glasses?" no more changing the lenses every few years because my eyesight changed or because of scratches, and I look better in general without glasses.

So which do you prefer? Glasses, contact lenses, or laser eye surgery?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I have glasses for seeing long range (does that mean I'm short sighted?). They're very gradually getting worse, my eyes that is. I go down about half a step every year or so. But it's not enough to have to get new glasses every time. I've never wantd to get contacts and poke my eyes all the time. Laser surgery is an option but I'm going to wait until it's really routine procedure as if they do something wrong you could go blind and glasses really aren't that much of a bother.
They don't look dorky or anything, they make me look smart and sexy so it's all cool.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I wear contacts. I look like crap when I wear glasses. My perscription is 2.25...so however bad that is. Alls I know is that I can't see the friggin' big E on the eye chart.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

My eyesight is pretty bad, but I typically don't wear glasses. I prefer to shielf myself from the ugly realities of this world, and the fuzzy appearance of everything makes things more comfy-looking. However, my driver's license requires that I wear glasses when I drive, so I do that.
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

I'm short sighted too and don't need my glasses for reading, working at the PC, cooking or things like this. Some years ago I had contact lenses but I can't wear them anymore. I have a high astigmatism too and the doctor told me that's the reason why I can't get laser surgery. I wouldn't get the laser surgery even if it's possible because I had to pay ca. 3000 Euro (ca. 3600 $). For one eye. That's too expensive for me.
Basel

Post by Basel »

I need to wear my glasses when I watch TV, use my PC or play videogames and for long range as well. I can identify people down the corridor but I cannot tell whether they are looking at me or having their eyes closed. The thing I hate the most about glasses is when they get dirty. Taking them off every now and then just to clean them is annoying. Also, they get loose easily, I remember one time when I took my glasses off the right lens fall down and broke down while I was shopping.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

I have glasses but I don't wear them much. I used to only wear them a lot when I was in school because it was hard to see the board from the back of the room. I can see fine close to myself and a few meters away but after that, its fuzz city. I do need to get new glasses though, the ones that I have are hand me downs and the lense keeps comming out.[/i]
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Re: Dealing with bad eye sight

Post by Noraibah »

My eye degree is BAD.....I think I got it from my father since his degree was 1000!I really need to do the eye surgery thingy since my degree for both of my eyes are 800.Shocking,isn't it?
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Ha, my prescription has doubled since I last posted. I'm at -4.75 now.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

No idea what all these numbers mean, but i only suffer from bad eyesight when i have a migraine coming, makes it all blurry.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Not sure how bad mine is as I've never gotten them checked, but my vision has certainly been declining over the years. It started when I was in 7th grade and I had trouble seeing certain colors (mainly red) on a whiteboard and has now deteriorated to me not being able to see most things far away (can't read the TV screen from the back of my living room and I have a hard time seeing road signs until I am right next to them). I almost had to get glasses when I renewed my driver's license at the age of 21 but I guess I passed their little test by one letter (I couldn't read the thing at all!). I think I'll go and get contacts before my license expires a few years from now just because I know I won't pass it next time.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

I juggle between glasses and contact lenses. I wear my glasses when I stay inside or when I'm lazy but I usually put on my lenses when I go out. I feel more pretty without my glasses I guess lol. But I can't see to save my live without something in my eyes. Seriously, I can't see anything that's more than a foot away from me.

And I've never though of surgery. Just doesn't appeal to me.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I wear glasses because I'm afraid of touching my eye. (I'm clumsy so I will accidentally touch my eye) to see things far away.

:<

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i totally recommend lasik surgery, especially for younger people. i had glasses then contact lenses growing up, and i actually got lasik eye surgery a little early but it came out fine. i got it early because my mother's insurance was covering 90% of the cost and they were ending that 90% coverage at the end of the year.
based on ads i've seen, lasik is a lot cheaper nowadays, and you can even find better deals in Asia. i know a fellow who got it in India for a few hundred USD (long time ago) and it's been all good.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Eh... I don't really trust going to foreign countries for surgeries. Well, by foreign I mean India, China and Indonesia. I heard too much horrors stories of butch surgeries happening over there.
Okay, most of them were illegals in USA/Canada so that might explain it but, yeah.