Opening Doors for Strangers

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Opening Doors for Strangers

Post by dragonmasterx »

Do you open doors for strangers?

They can be advertising for Christianity, or some other stuff, or asking you to sign a petition for a certain person running for office(I used to do this work, it pays $10 an hour on average).

Or they can be fakes looking to commit burglary. They can knock out out the person opening the door, especially if the door opener is a frail old person or little kid and no one else is home, and proceed to take all the valuables from the house.

So when strangers ring your doorbell, do you presume it's some innocuous kind person and presume with a paranoia that it might be a dangerous criminal?
Pokey Apples

Post by Pokey Apples »

I got an intercom with one way camera, so as a rule I look through that, and it's easier to tell you unpreffered political candidate representitve "no thanks, go away" over an intercom. ^^

but yeah, if i didn't have it, i think I would look through the window and ask what they wanted. I'm generally not of the thinking everyone is wishing to harm me. I mean, I drive late at night with all my doors unlocked, that means some sick person could jump in the back of my car and like threaten me with a weapon and who knows what else. my co-workers were shocked when i told them I refused to be so scared of something so rarely possible. I like to think that society hasn't gone to the dogs yet. sure, it's bad when you hear about it, but the risk is minute, like the chances of getting mad cow from contaminated meat, or some other crap. I refuse to live my life in fear. When i hear the postman, I just open it.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I ask em what they want through the window. If it's something I don't care about I say "not interested" and walk away. If they're advertising Christianity or other things, I play games with them ;)
Purr.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Pollensalta wrote:I ask em what they want through the window. If it's something I don't care about I say "not interested" and walk away. If they're advertising Christianity or other things, I play games with them ;)
As I mentioned, I used to do political petioning work. Many of the registered Democrats I had to ask lived on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the house. And a lot of them talked to me through their window or balcony. Sometimes, I get entire blocks of houses like that. It was annoying to scream my business with them again and again.

And sometimes, to save time, I'd ring up all the doorbells at once(sometimes, the registed Democrat on my list has the address listed, but doesn't specify which floor they live on). So the first floor residents come to the door, and the people from the second and third floor residents are yelling "what do you want?" all at the same time. But most people weren't even home.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

my theory is always have a bat in your hand when opening the door to a stranger....
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Oh... that kind of door opening, I don't live in an apartment, so... I wouldn't really know. I suppose I'd make sure wherever I live has an intercom though, and it also depends on the neighborhood.
- Kirkis
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

pesmerga786 wrote:my theory is always have a bat in your hand when opening the door to a stranger....
that dosen't really do anything if they got a gun, hell they could just charge you in your doorway and you wouldn't be able to use your bat because of the narrow space
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

well once they charge in they have to get the stuff and in the mean time you can beat them and if they got a gun here is what you do. you give them everything you got haha
Night

Post by Night »

You know, I'd never even thought about worrying about anything like that. It's just never crossed my mind before. I guess I've never actually assumed that anyone wanting to break into your house would knock on your door first. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a news story about someone forcing their way in that way. You hear a lot about people breaking in, or conning their way in past pensioners (who are sometimes trusting, or sometimes not entirely mentally sound), but never about people forcing their way when someone opens the door to them. Too risky, compared to the other options. But then, different countries so I'm guessing it's different over there.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Night wrote:In fact, I don't think I've ever read a news story about someone forcing their way in that way.
Wow, I've heard about stuff like that a lot, like people pretending to be some sort of salesman or offering a service and then breaking in.
Purr.
nach0king

Post by nach0king »

Usually that's not "breaking" in, at least when I hear about it. It's a confidence thing: they gain your trust, enter your home, but generally steal things non-violently.

Of course there are people who'll trick their way in and then commit acts of violence, but I think getting in is the hard part, and the ones smart/wily enough to do so won't want to have an assault charge against them.
Do you have business in my vault?
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

nach0king wrote:Usually that's not "breaking" in, at least when I hear about it. It's a confidence thing: they gain your trust, enter your home, but generally steal things non-violently.

Of course there are people who'll trick their way in and then commit acts of violence, but I think getting in is the hard part, and the ones smart/wily enough to do so won't want to have an assault charge against them.
hahah if someone can pull that off you are really slick. but i dont think there are any more door to door salemen anymore. i never see any. everything is on the internet these days
xhus135

Post by xhus135 »

Well when i open the door sometimes i might look out the window and see who it is. but i have never really thought about that befor until now.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

I have this weird square of window that has a silly pattern, but I can clearly see who somebody is before I open the door.
avenger

Re: Opening Doors for Strangers

Post by avenger »

didn't your mother ever tell you, don't open the door for strangers?

if someone buzzes me and i ain't expecting anything or anyone i'll just not even bother, basically i just ignor them kay?