Official Suggestion Thread

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Official Suggestion Thread

Post by Red Killey »

This is a thread that we created for members to give suggestions on how to better the Suikosource as a community, specifically the message board. So feel free to give any suggestions, and we would be considering them as how we see them fit with what we want to achieve. If you happen to agree with some fellow members' suggestion, feel free to show your agreement (try to add your reason too if you can) so that we know that there are more people wanting the certain addition or changes.

Do keep in mind that suggestions are not guaranteed to be accepted. We are simply giving you the chance to voice what you have in mind, and we try to implement it in Suikosource if we see fit so that it would further enhance everyone's enjoyment out of the community.

Have fun giving suggestions. ^^
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Could you possibly have a stricter reign on the Spoilers?

I know it's not the fault of the staff, but possibly a worse punishment could be a better deterant?

Sorry, I just really hate when people put "Well, this that and the other happens in V. And it continues to happen. Followed by this and this. Hmm, Suikoden V's not out in PAL? *shrug*"
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

That is a good point, however, there is not really anything much that we can do on that since we can't literally control what the members posted. The idea of having strict punishment for such thing is something that I have think about, but in the end, every case has to be treated differently depending on the scale of the damage done. We can only have basic rules to keep things practical. The punishment would then be determined based on the severity of what the people do.

Example: I can't punish 2 members the same punishment if the first one only mentioned a spoiler say at the beginning of the game while the second person pretty much spoiled the end of the game.

Therefore, I can't really make a "rule" to solve this without going too detailed which could result like having a real life law (in which it states punishment for stealing candy is so and so while punishment for killing someone is so and so, etc). That is something that we want to avoid because we have enough basic rules already.

So the best thing that we can do is to ask help from members too to report such spoiler posts, and we can only remind everyone once again to not spoil S5 until it's released in PAL. I personally haven't played S5 either so I don't want to be spoiled myself, and I definitely know what you mean on how annoying it can be. But at the same time, I can't really just ban everyone who spoils it. I hope you understand the position that we're in.

We try our best to be friendly to the members, and we try our best to avoid banning unless we have to. We also take into consideration that people sometimes just don't know and make innocent mistake. It would then depend on whether the person keeps on repeating the same mistake or not, etc.

And considering that it's roughly only a few weeks until Suikoden 5 is released on PAL, it might not be something that is practical to do at the moment. However, it is something that is very good to consider in the future. So thank you for that ^^
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

I have a suggestion concerning the Board Rules. It often happens that members are posting things that aren't allowed (I don't mean spoilers but fanfiction, lists "what is the best", big avatars or something like this) and when other members or the mods/admins point the Rules out to them they say "Is it so? I didn't know that." So it seems that the Board Rules and also the Avatar Rules aren't striking now.

So maybe you could give the Board and Announcement Forum another colour, another type and another headline, so it's noticeable and nobody can say "I didn't know that there are Rules" or something like that. A suggestion for the headline is: "Please read before posting: The Board Rules and Announcement Forum". I know you already made a thread "Please read before posting" and Oppenheimer has the rules in his signature, but it seems not everybody is reading this. I know a noticeable Forum isn't a guarantee that everybody will read it then but I think you might as well try.

EDIT: And maybe you could make a sticky "Search Engine" in every I-V Forum so the members know there is such a possibility to search something. I often have the feeling the search engine is not well known. There's only a sticky about it in the General Discussion.

Maybe you can make the sticky's and announcement type in every forum in another colour.
Last edited by ViktorFan on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Good suggestion, and maybe doable.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of making different color or whatnot to make them more eye-catching because I personally believe that those who didn't know simply didn't know because they didn't bother to look for rules (as in jump straight to posting rather than looking for rules first).

However, what I'm going to try to do is to discuss with other admins on whether it is possible or not to make it that when people register, then the first thing that they see is the rules. Therefore, we know for sure that we have shown the rules to them, it's just a matter of whether they paid attention to it or not.

EDIT: It's a good idea about the Search topic for every forum. We should be able to do that. Sticky it in every forum and we should be set.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Shame it isn't built it, as some forums do have it, but I just spotted something I thought to be Suikoden V spoilers. Only a glance.

However, there's no "Report post" button (or, at least, I'm blind and can't find it ;P ). Could there be a topic or so for linking posts you wish to report?
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Feldoon wrote:However, there's no "Report post" button (or, at least, I'm blind and can't find it ;P ). Could there be a topic or so for linking posts you wish to report?
Just send PM to admin/mod with your report and the URL of the reported post.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Is it just me or do old threads in this "general discussion" section automatically disappear?

I suggest that they should not automatically disappear.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

That's not automatic, it's mostly me:
Board Rules wrote:There is one forum set aside for non-Suikoden based discussion, the General Discussion Forum, however that does not mean any topics are allowed there. Starting a topic solely to advertise another website is not civilized and the perpetrator will be reprimanded. The forum will also be cleared on a regular basis of old topics deemed useless and those with little or no point. This will be done manually so bumping a dead topic will not suffice to retain it.
Shirofan used to do it but after he left I took over. Basically I trim the forum down to one page periodically, leaving only the threads that I think will get more attention later (such as the Final Fantasy threads, Zelda Twilight Princesw, etc).

I can stop doing that if you want, no skin off my nose, but we'll have to edit the board rules in that case.
xnostalgiax

Post by xnostalgiax »

I think you guys should open up a new folder on the forum main page called "PC Help" for people who need help with PC problems that are virus or software related..... i dont think it will happen but just a suggestion.

Also maybe a Product Effectiveness forum? well probly not, but for example...

Red Killey buys a ATI Radeon 6400 Graphix card for his computer, but within a month the card just fries itself. His roomate, Hickory Hickory Doo, also had one that burned out within a month. Killey hops on the forum and posts a thread about the card, seeing if anyone else has the problem, or warning of a potentially un-effective video card.
eternal_sins

Post by eternal_sins »

IF you were to ask me, I would say to open a subject about

"Suikoden Fan-Fiction"

I mean like in the forum we could post umm... plan a short storyplan of future suikoden or maybe create a rune...
i mean come up with your idea of rune, what the type of power and the name of its different level power...
Well, its fun to do that epecially those who SO into fanstasy... it fiction and just for fun for giving people more fanstatic..
Memori cinta berbunga
Pun menghinggap di ingatan
Seperti sang merpati di dahan
Puas sudah ku berusha
Ku melupakan segalanya
Namun senyum mu masih... ada...

-Merpati

Sang By: Hady Mirza
Winner Of Singapore Idol 2
www.hady-mirza.com
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Can the spoiler tag be a little more than just Spoiler: and the text?

I mean, it would help if it was actually like the quote box, but with a black background to hide the text. If people want to see what's written, they'd just highlight the text.

I always skip the post with spoiler tags because I don't know where they end. It would help to have it this way.
[evil laugh here]
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think the spoiler thing is more broken than a deliberate choice. Perhaps we could add a colour choice so you could create white or blue or whatever text and thus hide your spoilers that way.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Oppenheimer wrote:That's not automatic, it's mostly me:
Board Rules wrote:There is one forum set aside for non-Suikoden based discussion, the General Discussion Forum, however that does not mean any topics are allowed there. Starting a topic solely to advertise another website is not civilized and the perpetrator will be reprimanded. The forum will also be cleared on a regular basis of old topics deemed useless and those with little or no point. This will be done manually so bumping a dead topic will not suffice to retain it.
Shirofan used to do it but after he left I took over. Basically I trim the forum down to one page periodically, leaving only the threads that I think will get more attention later (such as the Final Fantasy threads, Zelda Twilight Princesw, etc).

I can stop doing that if you want, no skin off my nose, but we'll have to edit the board rules in that case.
There's been more than one occasion where I wanted to look up and/or post in an old thread, but couldn't find it. So yes, I'd prefer that the practice of deleting old threads stop.

I have no idea how to alter that Board Rules page, so I'll leave it to one of the more tech savvy staff.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

I have no idea about the Spoiler tag since I've never really used it myself. This might be something that would need to be brought up with other admin.

And yeah, I agree that there is no real need to prune topics in General Forum regularly. I don't know how to change the board rules either, so that's yet again, a part for other admin >.<