Soft Reset

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Chris_Lightfellow

Soft Reset

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

This is prolly a dumb question, but how do I do a soft reset? I can't remember....
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Hit all the shoulder buttons and then start & select... I think that's how it works.

Either that or it's another term for the reset button, the hard reset is using the power button I guess.
Alen

Post by Alen »

It doesn't work with all games, though.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Yeah, but generally when a PS2 game has a soft reset, it's that.

The 'Cube's soft reset is much more efficient.
Alen

Post by Alen »

Feldoon wrote:Yeah, but generally when a PS2 game has a soft reset, it's that.

The 'Cube's soft reset is much more efficient.
What I meant was, some games don't have a soft reset, hence what I meant by "It doesn't work with all games, though."

On a somewhat related note: I think all games should have a "Load" option accessible from the in-game menu. There's just really no reason not to. Additionally, I've also noticed a lot of games don't even have a Pause screen anymore [Suikoden 5 is a most recent example]. Are programmers really that lazy these days?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I don't recall Suikoden II having a Pause button. That may be why it isn't present in Suikoden V.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Why do you need a pause game in an RPG? Unless of course it's during a cutscene or something, but even then, you can just let it chill during a text box and not hit confirm or anything.
Alen

Post by Alen »

Kirkis wrote:Why do you need a pause game in an RPG? Unless of course it's during a cutscene or something, but even then, you can just let it chill during a text box and not hit confirm or anything.
Why does it matter? It's most likely extremely simple to program in, and yet, they don't do it. If the game has a timer that displays your amount of play time, then there should be a pause screen, if not just so the timer will display how long you've been playing accurately, rather than the time you also let the game sit idle for one reason or another.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Alen wrote:What I meant was, some games don't have a soft reset, hence what I meant by "It doesn't work with all games, though."
And Feldoon understood that. What you said before was a bit vague because "It doesn't work with all games" could mean:
1. Some games can't soft reset, OR
2. Some games have different buttons to press for soft resetting.

Feldoon's post is to further clear the point that if the game has soft reset ability, then shoulder button + star and select is the only way to do so (assuming we're talking about Playstation games).

He was making the same point as you were, it's just that his was clearer.

And please don't turn this into discussion about PAUSE button. Some like it, some can't be bothered. That's it.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I was trying to soft reset in S3. I had tried all the shoulder buttons and start+select, but it didn't work. Is it available in S3?
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Last time I checked, it was possible.

Although I've Swap Magic'd it on a UK PAL PS2, it shouldn't make any difference, right?

Although, to be fair, I haven't played it in awhile since I bought Suikoden and wanted to test it works properly.

And the whole "Hey! Let's force you to play as Geddoe with his initial squad all over again!" bit struck me as sucky.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Many games today have a "Return to the main menu" option, I think that's the fairest way for all...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

3 has soft reset. i remember laying down and falling asleep many times cuz i never had to get up to try to get rare Treasure Boss items. suspiciously, the newer PS2 games didn't come with the soft-reset feature. S4, S5, Tactics(maybe?), Kingdom Hearts II... and others i think.

pause is useful in real-time "active" battles... and pausing in cinema scenes is nice if you have to do something or it's a really long scene.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

I'm sure SIV PAL had a soft reset. Sure Tactics did too. Can't say for sure though.