Insects in Food

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Futagi wrote:Depends on the food really. For example, a lot of places when they get lettuce, the lettuce will have a couple of small black insects in it.
I had the lettuce issue as well. It was in a sealed bag that I bought it in too, not even one of those random heads on the counter of the supermarket. We got it home and were going to make a salad so we opened it up and there were hundreds of little ity bity bugs in the grooves. My mom was there at the time and she was like "Just wash the bugs off and don't tell Mike". I washed it but I was so grossed out that after we served it I didn't eat any while my mom and Mike ate a whole bunch. ewwwww. Ew. Ewww. Ew.
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

Oppenheimer wrote:I had the lettuce issue as well. It was in a sealed bag that I bought it in too, not even one of those random heads on the counter of the supermarket.
That's why I never buy sealed bags with salad. Once I've read in the paper that these bags are unhygienic, with a lot of bugs ... erm ... and I don't like meat :wink: .
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

What's worse was I once read how those little black bugs get into your flour even when it's in a sealed container. I'll remain silent beyond that...
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Small vegetable insects are usually safe and harmless to eat. Just remeber to always wash your vegetables before you cook em.

In a rare case you get stranded in a big jungle, insects will be part of your daily diet unless you're fast enough to hunt animals. Akuma Ma Tata
Strategy is the key to victory!
Forgiver Sign

Post by Forgiver Sign »

Futagi wrote:What's worse was I once read how those little black bugs get into your flour even when it's in a sealed container. I'll remain silent beyond that...
I have experienced this one, not just read it. Talk about money being wasted, especially if those bugs are actually the dirty ones. Erk..
"Censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge."
Iku

Post by Iku »

iwouldnt complain, really on fear that id get the poor person who cooked my food fired! eep id feel so guilty and as a vegetarian id just not eat the food (if there was a buggy in it!) and let the bug do what every he/she is doing! the other day i went to the seaside and went into quite a posh resturant and i found a hair in my food. i didnt really care but my friend's dad complained (i was with him and his family) i got a free meal but i felt so quilty on the way home! im just not up to complaining!
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:Akuma Ma Tata
*Hakuna
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:Akuma Ma Tata
*Hakuna
lol did you really have to correct that?
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

I usually shoot-up the place, starting with the whining brats of the bad parents that don't discipline them. You know the ones; always shrieking at the top of their lungs because their mommy finds their ear-piercing screeches and laughter cuter than a button (and encourages it!), the punks that demand ice cream, crayons, or HAVE to exclaim they're "huuuuungrrryyyyy" eight times every minute. Sometimes, I'll fight the cooks, or slash the head chef's tires.

On some occasions if I'm really irritated with the service, I'll have my band of rebels torch the place 10 minutes before closing.

I've never had such an experience before. But if that were to happen, I'd probably ask for another dish.

Haha, you tree huggers (chill out, I'm just jerking your chains)! I LOVE MEAT! <3 For every animal you guys don't eat, I'll eat THREE!
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Raftrider wrote:Haha, you tree huggers (chill out, I'm just jerking your chains)! I LOVE MEAT! <3 For every animal you guys don't eat, I'll eat THREE!
Not if I beat you to it ;D

And I'd probably not eat insects.

They don't look juicy enough.
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

On the subject of bugs, I also forgot to mention that I've eaten insects before. I've eaten grasshopper (cooked and seasoned with Adobo) and meal worm. Both were cooked, of course. I don't recommend the meal worm. The grasshopper isn't that bad if you pull the legs off. When they get stuck in your teeth, your stomach tries to be funny and turn (that's your cue to punch it). Odd that most insects are high in protein and essential vitamins, and yet we don't eat them here. But then again, we aren't heathens in a third world country.

Some survival tips for you all: When foraging for insects, it's best to search for them at dawn since they're cumbersome, due to their wings being heavy with dew along with a low body temperature. They usually hide on the underside of leaves. Never eat flies, cockroaches, poisonous bugs (that's a no brainer)or attempt to capture a hive. To eat earthworms, soak them in water overnight. I think an alternative solution would be to gut them and rinse them out. I forgot what you were supposed to do with insects that have hard shells, but you're probably supposed to roast or boil them.

That reminds me! If you guys think getting insects in your dinner order is bad, did you know that a majority of the canned foods you eat--Chef Boyarde ravioli, soups, canned vegetables, as well as flours, pizzas, peanut butter(I hope you're screaming at your computer right now, DM_X <3 Your hatred of bugs is cute like mashed potatoes)has fragments of bugs in them? I believe the US regulations only permits two or three maggots per can.

<3
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Raftrider wrote:I believe the US regulations only permits two or three maggots per can.
I'm so glad to be non-US. XD
Morridor

Post by Morridor »

I would be really grossed out. I've had the lettuce problem as well. I also had a problem where a sealed container of pasta had a bunch of bugs crawling around in it. Let's just say I am very happy that I have a food disposal in my sink!

Danny
Konami RPG Stars / Suikoden Website!
Click this Link for the Official Suikoden Website for free Suiko Art Books + OSVs, DS Lites, and $250 Gamestop gift cards
xnostalgiax

Post by xnostalgiax »

If you eat any food that may be artificially colored, with red, you're probably consuming a trace of a bug.

The food colorants cochineal and carmine are made from ground beetles.
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

one time i found a bug in my soda, the people at the resturant asked me if i wanted another soda but i said no thanks,becuase of the bug in my soda my cousin which was at the resturant with me couldn't eat the rest of her food(she hardly ate anything).