can a stratched or damaged game ruin a playstation 2?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
supadave

can a stratched or damaged game ruin a playstation 2?

Post by supadave »

Can a stratched or damaged game ruin a playstation 2? i was wonder because i have a copy of Suiko 4 and my old ps2 crapped out while in the middle of the game, it started making this ticking noise then would no longer load games. When my cousin came to visit i tried to play the game on his system, which was old like mine, and the same thing happened to him a few days later. Now i have a brand new ps2 and i've been wanting to play the game but im worried it might ruin my new system. does anyone know if the game can cause a problem or if its even possible for a stratched game to ruin a ps2?
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Did you mean "scratched game"? In my experience, as long as you use the same dvd formats you shouldn't worry, meaning, don't watch a dvd movie and play a game alternately. A dirty CD is different though.
Night

Post by Night »

Occam Arkitect wrote:Did you mean "scratched game"? In my experience, as long as you use the same dvd formats you shouldn't worry, meaning, don't watch a dvd movie and play a game alternately. A dirty CD is different though.
He was asking about scratched and damaged games...

Actually, there aren't different DVD formats when it comes to games and films. Pretty much all games are in DVD format nowadays, except for the ones on blue discs which I think are just CDs. So playing a game then watching the film, or vice versa, won't have any effect on your PS2. In fact, no game should affect it at all. Scratches won't make a difference to the system itself. As Occam said, though, if it's dirty then it is possible for dirt to get into the system and maybe clog it up.

As for your PS2, I'm no expert but we see quite a few faulty ones in the store. It sounds simply like the motor has just worn down, or possibly overheated if the fan has stopped working properly. But this is quite common in old PS2s. Your new system should be fine. And if it does break, then that's what warranties are for! :)
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

I'm glad my old PS2 hasn't died on me then. Well thats not very much a surprise since my nintendo and super nintendo, heck atari still works for me and I've heard that a lot of peoples older systems have just... died.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Mikalakatov wrote:I'm glad my old PS2 hasn't died on me then. Well thats not very much a surprise since my nintendo and super nintendo, heck atari still works for me and I've heard that a lot of peoples older systems have just... died.
my older ps2 loads slow at first, wont play most ps1 games, or purple ps2 games.

but i still have my ps1 so as long as it plays ps2 games its good